Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY hit raccoon damage to front and air intake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two weeks into owning my new model Y long range awd on my 90 mile commute into NYC I hit a raccoon trying to scurry across the road. I only saw him 100 feet out and instinctively centered over him as swerving with this little distance away would have been too risky. Unfortunately even with the extra ground clearance I didn’t clear and had a fairly hard impact bending a thick piece of metal up and damaging some of the air intake fins. Oh boy what a start the morning.
A0D02E05-4597-4075-8F64-B1EA9B51061F.jpeg37D4F6C4-A3A8-4DF2-9047-05889487514C.jpeg8CBB97DF-33A2-416F-934C-8AA0954EEE46.jpeg
I will try to schedule a service visit after my shift is over...

Two weeks into owning my new model Y long range awd on my 90 mile commute into NYC I hit a raccoon trying to scurry across the road. I only saw him 100 feet out and instinctively centered over him as swerving with this little distance away would have been too risky. Unfortunately even with the extra ground clearance I didn’t clear and had a fairly hard impact bending a thick piece of metal up and damaging some of the air intake fins. Oh boy what a start the morning.
View attachment 595766View attachment 595767View attachment 595768

I suspect the racoon had a worse morning!

Poor thing (Both the racoon and your car)!! Hope it is an easy fix!

The BMS is constantly monitoring the batteries so I wouldn't be too worried about SC. I would think worst case is it would just slow it down if the temps start to climb.

Just curious, did you have autopilot or navigate on autopilot on at the time?

Just curious, did you have autopilot or navigate on autopilot on at the time?
I did have autopilot engaged right up until I spotted it and stepped on the brake to reduce speed. I didn’t want to slam too hard and risk loosing control of vehicle but probably could have braked harder... autopilot did not seem to see it and was applying power up the hill set at 75. Guessing I slowed to 60 at time of impact in the course of that second or so

I did have autopilot engaged right up until I spotted it and stepped on the brake to reduce speed. I didn’t want to slam too hard and risk loosing control of vehicle but probably could have braked harder... autopilot did not seem to see it and was applying power up the hill set at 75. Guessing I slowed to 60 at time of impact in the course of that second or so

If it wasn’t raining or wet, next time slam on the brakes like you are trying to break them (so long as there isn’t anyone behind you of course). Modern brake systems are designed for that and you won’t lose control. I’ve taken driving classes and it’s amazing how well cars stop. The hardest thing is convincing yourself it’s ok to do it. Not easy at all.

Did you do anything to get it fixed?

Sorry for not replying sooner
No, I Haven’t done anything to get it fixed yet, I visited my Dad and asked if he thought we might be able to bend it with any of his tools. He felt the metal with his hands and said there wasn’t much point in trying with any of the tools he has, that metal is quite thick. Will be making a service appointment with Tesla soon and see what they say needs to be done to get it repaired but really nervous to hear their response