Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a curb, please advice if tire needs replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am new to the forum. I apologize in advance if I am breaking any rules.

I had stupidly hit a curb trying to perfectly parallel park in Boston street on my brand new MY. After hearing the dreading noise and a heartbreak I inspected the damage. Not sure if the tire needs replacement.

I am not able to sleep over this 😭

Attachments

• B13B41A7-3A2C-4EF8-B753-9EDE6944B189.jpeg
    B13B41A7-3A2C-4EF8-B753-9EDE6944B189.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 427
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I guess I will need to replace the tire. I couldn’t find discount tire near me and Costco doesn’t have these in stock.

The car has under 500miles, will it still require to replace both the tires ?

Any ideas how much will it cost to ask Tesla service to replace it and if they will be able to get the exact same tire ?

You don’t need two tires if you only have 500 miles driven. Discount Tires and Americas Tires are the same - check what is local to you. You must have access to a tire shop (LOL). If you insist on using Tesla - it’s a mobile service, put in your request for same tire in the app. My guess is about 350-400 bottom line

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I guess I will need to replace the tire. I couldn’t find discount tire near me and Costco doesn’t have these in stock.

The car has under 500miles, will it still require to replace both the tires ?

Any ideas how much will it cost to ask Tesla service to replace it and if they will be able to get the exact same tire ?

is there NTB in your area?

FWIW a gash in the side of a tire does not automagically require a replacement. So long as you cannot see any of the cord and it does not blister it is typically OK. But, you should have a professional look at it. At a minimum the wheel needs to be spun.

Reactions: Pianewman
So long as you cannot see any of the cord and it does not blister it is typically OK.
Agreed, no need to replace. This happened to me on my minivan. I took it to the local America's Tire shop (which has always done me right in the past) and they said that this damage is superficial, and not worthy of replacing the tire. That was >10k miles ago. Kudos to them for not selling me another tire (or two), and needless to say, I will be taking all of my cars back to that shop whenever I need new tires.

I had the same thing happened to me, America Tires suggested to keep the tire and watch for any bulging on the side wall. I decided to replace the tire just to be on the safe side, since the MY is a heavy car, I use it a lot for out of town trips, plus there is no spare tire. The new tire cost $350 out the door and included balancing. Luckily, my rim was not bent or cracked.

Reactions: zoomer0056