TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

my luck

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Today I decided to take the car out for a drive and enjoy the beautiful sunny California weather.

While on the freeway I was cruising a very nice leisure drive when suddenly, a dime size rock flew and cracked my windshield on my 1 month old Tesla S.

I am just devastated right now. Anybody know if service centers take care of this or a body shop? I'm just dead right now. My luck with this car is not good at all.

IMG_1806.JPG

• Informative x 1
  2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Look on the bright side ... you were not driving a model X with the huge windshield/roof :cool:
    Take you car to a glass replacement center and see if they can repair it with liquid epoxy.

• Like x 1
  3. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

That can be repaired almost invisibly.

• Like x 1
  4. SDRick

SDRick Member

I agree, those typically can be repaired with remarkable results.

5. ahurst

ahurst Member

Agreed. We actually have a local car wash that has a windshield repair guy that walks around and asks if you need minor cracks fixed.

6. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Might check with your insurance company or AAA if you have membership. It's been a while but someone came out and did the windshield repair and the crack which wasn't too bad pretty much disappeared with the liquid they applied. It either was covered or not much money and didn't require the windshield to be replaced. Don't wait to deal with it or you risk the crack developing further and at some point it past the point of the easy repair.

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

8. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Get it fixed fast though, because if you're not quick, those rock chips often spread. Had a few of those spread into nasty lines all over the old Honda's windshield. :(

9. Dax279

Dax279 Member

Absolutely get it repaired ASAP you can see it is ready to get worse fast!

• Informative x 1
  10. seenhear

seenhear Member

If it's close to the size of a quarter or smaller, it can be repaired really quickly and easily and inexpensively.
    Also it's pouring rain in norcal so you have that to be thankful for too... :)

11. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Yes, really bad idea to delay a quick repair when in hot weather. I know. Had my Honda windshield crack in front of my eyes once on a hot summer day when I had got dinged by a road stone while driving on the hwy. As I recall it was a small window pit. Figured I'd take care of calling for repair when I got home. Left car to go into the office and when I went back out and stupidly put on the AC it really developed a long crack. No quick liquid fix for that. Expensive lesson.

12. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Anybody know if Tesla fixes this or will they refer you to another area? I do have AAA but they said they refer out and have a discount.

13. Dax279

Dax279 Member

I do not believe that this would be a fix that Tesla will need to do. Just go to a reputable windshield repair shop.

14. ahurst

ahurst Member

Hmmm....this is truly inexpensive...what I mean is go to a reputable shop and tell them no insurance is involved an you'll give them $50 to repair. They will do it for $50, no paperwork.

• Informative x 1
  15. seenhear

seenhear Member

@bktiger86 - Seriously DUDE! Just go get this fixed. I can't believe you're still posting about it. You said how sick you were about it, and everyone is here telling you to get it fixed / it's no big deal. It will be less than $100 if you do it while it's still small. It's just glass. This happens all the time to all kinds of cars from Civics to Diablos, and the same shop repairs them all for the same price.
    Now hurry up before that ding becomes a long crack.

• Like x 1
  16. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

That is really quite unfortunate, hope you can get it fixed easily.

On a related note though, does anyone know what the cost of a windshield replacement is on the AP2 Model S? Do only Tesla do it or are there other companies that can do it as well?

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I had a similar issue with a rock. It happened just a few weeks after taking delivery. I was devastated. I got it filled and it has worked pretty well. Starting to show again. But it isn't ripping up my wipers. Fortunately, it is behind my rear view mirror when I am driving. So I don't see it when driving. I was lucky.

I am going to wait until the screen is pitted enough and then I'll find a way to get it replaced.

Ball-peen hammer anyone!

Beuller? Beuller?

18. malken00

malken00 Member

I seem to have the same luck on new cars. For at least the first three years I cover it with a 0 deductive for windshield repairs/replacements through insurance. Especially considering windshields can range from $400-$2500.