Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that insurance is going to pay the value of the car... which will certainly be less than OP paid for it. He'll then have to go after the street racer in civil court for the difference. It's a PITA.
And yes, he'll be able to claim the $7500 again on the next new one. YOu can buy as many cars as you like in a given year under that tax credit.... but Mr Street Racer doesn't need to know that.

I was on the freeway coming to a complete stop as an accident had occurred. There was a CHP officer standing directly in front of me. The driver behind me was traveling about 60 when she plowed into me. The car was totaled but preformed beautifully collapsing where it should and even though I was launched in the air and was so badly shaken I couldn't even stand, I was completely uninjured. That was until the insurance companies got a hold of me.
I took possession of my car the last day of 2016 so I could get free supercharging for life. That was unfortunate. Especially since they extended it to January 15th.
My insurance, Safeco - total dirtbags - paid me the value of the car - not replacement cost. Progressive - more dirtbags - essentially paid nothing. They never even paid the cost to be towed off the freeway. My only recourse was to sue the driver. Total out-of-pocket was about $15,000.
Yes you can get the $7500 tax credit but I was taking the year off and you cannot carry that tax credit forward. If you don't use it, you lose it.
Then Safeco doubled my policy premium. From $3000 to $6000 - for getting rear-ended.
Only good part is it's conceivable she would've hit that officer instead of me. Secondly, the battery on my 2018 75D is far far superior to my old 60 battery. Unfortunately the interior took a step down with mystery wood, removing the satin chrome and replacing it with that black adonized trim and other inferior finishes as well.
Having said that - like the guy who purchased the M3 and the weight of the snow pulled his fender off but he still exclaimed, I love my car! That's the way I feel. God, that stuff in there is ugly and geez, I still can't even hang up my dry cleaning but, "I love my car!" No other car like it!

Glad you are okay (and the cop). You should be able to at least add gap protection if you have a loan. Only had one replacement cost totaled car endorsement and had to be bought new, less that one year and less than 10k miles.

Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

Sounds like a complete total so the big issue with insurance companies is their valuation of the car and what balance is on the loan. If you have gap protection its not a big deal. But if your going to lose money because of some idiot driving recklessly you might want to consult an attorney. Get checked out by a physician just to on the safe side.

Just glad the ***** star rating save family from injury. Not that it much of a consolation, but if the insurance company doesn't fully replace the safest car on the road with a other, one can file for. Diminished value claim for any money out of pocket to 100% replace. Or file a small claims suit in court for the difference. Small price to pay for a replacement.

Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?
Wow, what a terrible thing to be involved in. Good to hear you and family all are ok. m3 continues to show that it is designed well and is a safe car to be in.

My wife was at a dead stop 3 years ago on the highway and rear-ended at 60 MPH. The car was only a year old, and insurance covered the total cost of the vehicle, we did not have any out of pocket expenses. Unfortunately, the guy was underinsured which slowed down the settlement. It took us 2 1/2 years to get a cash settlement from the accident. I was impressed how well the car held up considering she was hit 3 different times.

I assume "insurance covered the total cost of the vehicle" means the car was totaled. Yesterday, someone backed into my wife's
Model 3 (Red) and did "some" damage to the front of the car. I'll find out quickly the amount of the damage and what Tesla
thinks I should do. The car was new with less than 200 miles!

Reactions: krouebi and SlimJim