Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 interior making me sick (literally)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not everyone's situation but maybe it will help some. I got a new 2023 Model Y and it was making me sick. My situation was slightly different in that I was fine for a few weeks and then it got bad. I assumed it was just increased sensitivity after more exposure. Then I suddenly realized that the sickness may have coincided with the new All-Weather Interior Liners that came in a few weeks later. Removed the liners, the sickness went away. It's surprising since I can definitely smell stuff coming off the seats and nothing coming off the liners, but there you have it.

Now to deal with the painful ear pressure I have. There are lots of long threads about that, too.

This is not everyone's situation but maybe it will help some. I got a new 2023 Model Y and it was making me sick. My situation was slightly different in that I was fine for a few weeks and then it got bad. I assumed it was just increased sensitivity after more exposure. Then I suddenly realized that the sickness may have coincided with the new All-Weather Interior Liners that came in a few weeks later. Removed the liners, the sickness went away. It's surprising since I can definitely smell stuff coming off the seats and nothing coming off the liners, but there you have it.

Now to deal with the painful ear pressure I have. There are lots of long threads about that, too.
Um. Spoke too soon. After 3 days with the windows closed, it's still better than it was, but not great. I guess the mats were just part of the problem.

Not sure if this is related but we have had our MY for a few months now and when we enter or leave the garage our indoor air quality monitor notifies me that the indoor air quality has turned to poor. When I check what’s causing the poor air quality it’s a high VOC level. I’ve tried googling around and stumbled across this post but nothing else. If the car is at rest after a few hours the voc levels come down. But if I open the Tesla app the climate control turns on, the air quality turns to poor. I will start rolling down the windows to try to speed up the off gassing, but there is definitely some fumes being emitted from the interior of the vehicle. This is our first new car so can’t really baseline the fume emissions to see if it’s different by manufacturer or any other sort of scientific analysis to support if this is normal or abnormal.

IMG_1752.jpeg

I took delivery of my 2023 Model 3P on 12/23/23. The outgassing smell was much more potent than my previous cars. I used the window vent feature (in the app) when the car is in my garage which has really helped reduce the smell. I figure will be for a few months until the outgassing has settled. The smell wasn't as potent in my previous 2018 Model 3 MR.

Not sure if this is related but we have had our MY for a few months now and when we enter or leave the garage our indoor air quality monitor notifies me that the indoor air quality has turned to poor. When I check what’s causing the poor air quality it’s a high VOC level. I’ve tried googling around and stumbled across this post but nothing else. If the car is at rest after a few hours the voc levels come down. But if I open the Tesla app the climate control turns on, the air quality turns to poor. I will start rolling down the windows to try to speed up the off gassing, but there is definitely some fumes being emitted from the interior of the vehicle. This is our first new car so can’t really baseline the fume emissions to see if it’s different by manufacturer or any other sort of scientific analysis to support if this is normal or abnormal.

View attachment 1008046
Do you know if it was made in Fremont or Texas? I wonder if there are any differences in VOCs between Tesla made in different states. CA is very strict about VOCs (I know from different construction/paint materials that are not allowed to be shipped to CA or are a different low-VOC version for CA only, so CA is pretty much the strictest state). There will always be some "new car smell," but I imagine a CA made one wouldn't have as much VOCs as others states.

I personally didn't notice a new car smell when I picked up my Model 3, but it was Fremont made. I also had the fortune to still have a 2nd car and was waiting for Tesla to have time to address a few delivery issues (so I had it in the garage unused to keep it under the 100 mile mark, to avoid any disputes on whether the car came), so by the time I was using the car regularly, I imagine most of the offgassing is gone.

I wouldn't however be too sure if your air quality monitor is really measuring offgassing from the interior or simply from the VOCs from the environment that would get blown about at a higher rate when you have the climate control on. A more controlled experiment would be to blow a fan with windows open on the Tesla (if monitor is outside and can't be moved in) or windows closed (if monitor can be put inside car), then have an older car and do the same (both cars having been driven a bit in the same environment or sitting for the same amount of time to try to eliminate variables).

Do you know if it was made in Fremont or Texas? I wonder if there are any differences in VOCs between Tesla made in different states. CA is very strict about VOCs (I know from different construction/paint materials that are not allowed to be shipped to CA or are a different low-VOC version for CA only, so CA is pretty much the strictest state). There will always be some "new car smell," but I imagine a CA made one wouldn't have as much VOCs as others states.

I personally didn't notice a new car smell when I picked up my Model 3, but it was Fremont made. I also had the fortune to still have a 2nd car and was waiting for Tesla to have time to address a few delivery issues (so I had it in the garage unused to keep it under the 100 mile mark, to avoid any disputes on whether the car came), so by the time I was using the car regularly, I imagine most of the offgassing is gone.

I wouldn't however be too sure if your air quality monitor is really measuring offgassing from the interior or simply from the VOCs from the environment that would get blown about at a higher rate when you have the climate control on. A more controlled experiment would be to blow a fan with windows open on the Tesla (if monitor is outside and can't be moved in) or windows closed (if monitor can be put inside car), then have an older car and do the same (both cars having been driven a bit in the same environment or sitting for the same amount of time to try to eliminate variables).
Yes it was built in Fremont.

Since I use the garage as my office/gym I monitor the air quality to make sure I didn’t suffocate myself with an ICE car parked beside me. We did have our RX parked in the garage before and there were fumes but not enough to trigger the CO2 levels. I would usually leave the side door open and run a fan to circulate air. Also we don’t have any paint or anything to historically trigger high VOCs. So it’s 100% as a result of the MY possibly the plastic seats or glue used. Typically when it’s sunny or warmer outside the VOC levels are much higher than when it’s cooler outside. This screenshot is from today. My wife did scoff at me with the comment “heh you bought an EV to not emit CO2/help the environment now you’re inhaling VOCs”

IMG_1814.jpeg