Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 prevented a crash by applying emergency braking while in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone here. About two weeks ago, I was backing up from a parking spot and this other car rapidly backed up without checking his surroundings and almost crashed into my car. I was nervous and my foot was in acceleration, as I was in reverse. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react and I am quite certain I was still pressing on the acceleration. However, my awesome Tesla triggered emergency brake and stopped my car from crashing into the other car (there was an emergency brake alert on the screen). I honked and the driver finally realized I was there and pulled forward at that point. Yet another reason I am thankful for Tesla.

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone here. About two weeks ago, I was backing up from a parking spot and this other car rapidly backed up without checking his surroundings and almost crashed into my car. I was nervous and my foot was in acceleration, as I was in reverse. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react and I am quite certain I was still pressing on the acceleration. However, my awesome Tesla triggered emergency brake and stopped my car from crashing into the other car (there was an emergency brake alert on the screen). I honked and the driver finally realized I was there and pulled forward at that point. Yet another reason I am thankful for Tesla.

This is great! Why did your car stop First and then lurched/stopped again?

• Funny
Reactions: LisaW and Shiva
About two weeks ago, I was backing up from a parking spot and this other car rapidly backed up without checking his surroundings and almost crashed into my car.
Nice. Video seems to show that you are careful about backing out of a space.
On a side note, I see you probably met my X-wife. (or another version of her) :D She used to drive that way and rear-ended people SEVERAL times in parking lots. Some people never learn :rolleyes:

That's interesting. I had a similar experience that did not go as well but the circumstances were different. I was pulling out of my driveway and a car was parked just behind me on the street, where cars rarely are. Totally my fault that I hit him and the car - Tesla 3 - beeped at me but too late. Maybe the beeping caused me to hit less hard than I would have but i'm pretty sure there was no braking. I wonder what caused the difference? Maybe that the car on the street wasn't moving but the one in the parking lot was?

Reactions: Shiva
This didn't work for me a few weeks back when I was at fault when I slowly pulled out and hit the rear bumper of a car parked behind mine. There was no warning and no braking. My collision avoidence was on medium, if that makes a difference. I wonder what setting was on the OP's car?

(Fortunately, there was no damage to the other car, but of course, my M3 had a ding in the rear bumper that cost me $785 to repair)

Reactions: Shiva
Nice. Video seems to show that you are careful about backing out of a space.
On a side note, I see you probably met my X-wife. (or another version of her) :D She used to drive that way and rear-ended people SEVERAL times in parking lots. Some people never learn :rolleyes:
Haha I try to be careful. It was a male driving the other car, so not your X-wife :) but he wasn't paying attention!!

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert

I had that experience except the other car did not stop and continued to back into mine. At least the video helps you get out of the liability with your insurance if there was collision.