Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 prevented a crash by applying emergency braking while in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting. I had a similar experience that did not go as well but the circumstances were different. I was pulling out of my driveway and a car was parked just behind me on the street, where cars rarely are. Totally my fault that I hit him and the car - Tesla 3 - beeped at me but too late. Maybe the beeping caused me to hit less hard than I would have but i'm pretty sure there was no braking. I wonder what caused the difference? Maybe that the car on the street wasn't moving but the one in the parking lot was?
I am sorry to hear about your accident. On my case, I think it braked because the other car was moving. My friend had a similar situation where his Model 3 braked for a person who came flying on his scooter.

That's interesting. I had a similar experience that did not go as well but the circumstances were different. I was pulling out of my driveway and a car was parked just behind me on the street, where cars rarely are. Totally my fault that I hit him and the car - Tesla 3 - beeped at me but too late. Maybe the beeping caused me to hit less hard than I would have but i'm pretty sure there was no braking. I wonder what caused the difference? Maybe that the car on the street wasn't moving but the one in the parking lot was?

Embarrassed to say that I did the same thing on the first day I had my 3. In fact, it was the first time I ever reversed in it. I was exiting my driveway and there was a car parked where none is ever parked. All my fault. I never experienced the regen braking in reverse and I think it threw me a second, just enough that I hit the parked car. Mine beeped but it was too late. Ugh.

Reactions: Shiva
This didn't work for me a few weeks back when I was at fault when I slowly pulled out and hit the rear bumper of a car parked behind mine. There was no warning and no braking. My collision avoidence was on medium, if that makes a difference. I wonder what setting was on the OP's car?

(Fortunately, there was no damage to the other car, but of course, my M3 had a ding in the rear bumper that cost me $785 to repair)
Sorry to hear about your accident. On my case, I think it braked because the other car was also moving.

I had that experience except the other car did not stop and continued to back into mine. At least the video helps you get out of the liability with your insurance if there was collision.
In the OPs case, she probably has that video clip saved only because she honked the horn to get the other driver's attention. Save clip on honk is a nice feature.

I didn't think emergency backup braking was a feature. I backed all the way into a cubic yard bag of topsoil and the car didn't complain at all. (No damage, bag is soft.)
While driving I've only experienced automatic braking while in autopilot.
Good to know that the car can do that, but seems to be inconsistent.
I am glad your car didn't have any damages after the incident. I didn't know it could apply emergency braking on reverse as well. But it did on this case and I am very thankful. I hope Tesla make their safety features consistent and continue making them safer over time.

Embarrassed to say that I did the same thing on the first day I had my 3. In fact, it was the first time I ever reversed in it. I was exiting my driveway and there was a car parked where none is ever parked. All my fault. I never experienced the regen braking in reverse and I think it threw me a second, just enough that I hit the parked car. Mine beeped but it was too late. Ugh.
I am sorry to hear about your accident. It definitely took me a while to get used to driving my M3 as it was my first EV.

I am sorry to hear about your accident. On my case, I think it braked because the other car was moving. My friend had a similar situation where his Model 3 braked for a person who came flying on his scooter.

Very interesting. I did the exact same mistake as you last week (forgetting I was in reverse and hit acceleration), except I was trying to parallel park, so the car behind me wasn't moving, so I just hit it. Ended up like this:
Broke my back headlight and bumper while trying to parallel park

Very interesting. I did the exact same mistake as you last week (forgetting I was in reverse and hit acceleration), except I was trying to parallel park, so the car behind me wasn't moving, so I just hit it. Ended up like this:
Broke my back headlight and bumper while trying to parallel park
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Did you get it taken care of? On a bright side, you at least didn't have to repair the other car. Yeah on my case I think it stopped because the other car was moving.

Reactions: cerealzealot
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Did you get it taken care of? On a bright side, you at least didn't have to repair the other car. Yeah on my case I think it stopped because the other car was moving.

It's at the body shop as I write this, I dropped it yesterday. They quoted me $1400 to fix the taillight and bumper. They said the trunk needs to be replaced, and with paint work that comes with it, it's an additional $2300. I told them I would come back later on to fix that (I also talked to another body shop friend and he told me he can fix the trunk without replacing it, so I'll have to see).

And just for the joke, I went to get a quote to another body shop in LA before settling for the one I chose, they told me "It's more damage than you think, at least $9000". So first one quotes me $3700 for everything, second one $9K, LOL.

It's at the body shop as I write this, I dropped it yesterday. They quoted me $1400 to fix the taillight and bumper. They said the trunk needs to be replaced, and with paint work that comes with it, it's an additional $2300. I told them I would come back later on to fix that (I also talked to another body shop friend and he told me he can fix the trunk without replacing it, so I'll have to see).

And just for the joke, I went to get a quote to another body shop in LA before settling for the one I chose, they told me "It's more damage than you think, at least $9000". So first one quotes me $3700 for everything, second one $9K, LOL.
Wow, that is crazy! I am sorry you had to pay that much. Also, I understand the pain of high insurance premium.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone here. About two weeks ago, I was backing up from a parking spot and this other car rapidly backed up without checking his surroundings and almost crashed into my car. I was nervous and my foot was in acceleration, as I was in reverse. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react and I am quite certain I was still pressing on the acceleration. However, my awesome Tesla triggered emergency brake and stopped my car from crashing into the other car (there was an emergency brake alert on the screen). I honked and the driver finally realized I was there and pulled forward at that point. Yet another reason I am thankful for Tesla.

My wife backed into a car with her Tesla 3 while coming out of a parking space. No warning. No beeps. Nothing. My Prius Prime would have been beeping like mad. I also think the blind spot indicators are terrible, not where they need to be and come on way too late. Rather than fix those things, the focus seems to be on coming out with new games.

My wife backed into a car with her Tesla 3 while coming out of a parking space. No warning. No beeps. Nothing. My Prius Prime would have been beeping like mad. I also think the blind spot indicators are terrible, not where they need to be and come on way too late. Rather than fix those things, the focus seems to be on coming out with new games.
Sorry to hear about your accident. I agree that Tesla needs to focus on more safety features than entertainment features. Like many cars, I wish Tesla could beep as soon as you turn on the blinkers and there is a car in the blind spot.

Glad to hear the Tesla worked so well!

BTW, this is why experts, including the AAA, recommend backing into parking spaces.
(Why? Pulling out head first is a lot easier/safer! And, you've got more control / awareness
when backing *in* then you do when backing *out*.)

I learned that a few years ago, and try to apply it to my own parking :)

Reactions: Shiva