Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 was attacked in my drive way.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the guy bled all over the inside so it is currently stripped down to the metal frame, anything not metal inside has to be replaced because the cleaners used for blood will wreck anything not metal.

No way the entire interior of the car can't be disinfected. They are ripping you off probably because normally insurance would pay. Some of it is fine to disinfect. They use diluted bleach. Even replacing the whole interior that price is not right. It's easy to take out the model 3 interior. The dash is only difficult part.

Screenshot_20230608-230755.png

I completely disagree that this is an expensive or hard to clean situation. I'm currently installing a car stereo, so I'm directly dealing with removing the carpets and liners and seats, and I'm here to tell you that it's super easy. For people with experience, removing every scrap of the interior including all seats is a single day job, no more. There are multiple people who have done this job so that they could put down better sound proofing to improve their audio experience, so they took apart everything down to the metal, including door liners.

Tesla made this all really easy to remove and replace. If you wanted to replace all the interior carpet and liners, that can't be more than $5K for all new parts. But disinfecting all that, especially out of the car, would be easy.

Seats are polyurethane, not leather, and can be disinfected easily. If you feel you have to replace the seats, that bumps the cost.

I fail to see anything here that would justify totalling the car.

Last edited:
Considering the cost of labor, I don't think the price is that far out there. This would be a huge job and the labor cost would be enormous.

If this were covered by insurance the car would almost certainly be totaled.

I understand for someone that doesn't work on cars it seems like something that would be difficult but it's easy. I can take everything out of the model 3 in about 3hrs. I would think for most that have done it before it's going to be the same. For an amateur it would probably take a days work and that's only because they would be afraid of breaking all the plastic clips. The secret is to just buy the clips and don't worry about it.

You have to remove most of the interior to replace the HV battery and that only costs around $16,000. That's with the cost of the battery. There is no way he should pay $44,000.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
no way homeowners insurance is covering this. the car isn't part of the house or "attached structure" like a fence or pool or shed and isn't inside the house or part of jewelry etc.

never ever discontinue car insurance if something could happen to the vehicle. even if stored or in transit or whatnot. imagine it being stored and storage container gets flooded etc...

Incredibly bogus to do anything but wipe down the interior; treating old blood (even viruses die on exposure) as a hazmat is so ridiculous and blood is easy to remove from synthetic materials like the seats, dash etc. Wood might be harder. Presoak with cold water almost always would work. What a travesty. PS I am a surgical MD and I deal with WARM blood all the time and it is not complicated.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I understand for someone that doesn't work on cars it seems like something that would be difficult but it's easy. I can take everything out of the model 3 in about 3hrs. I would think for most that have done it before it's going to be the same. For an amateur it would probably take a days work and that's only because they would be afraid of breaking all the plastic clips. The secret is to just buy the clips and don't worry about it.

You have to remove most of the interior to replace the HV battery and that only costs around $16,000. That's with the cost of the battery. There is no way he should pay $44,000.
It's not just a matter of removing the interior. I would bet that most of the interior is being replaced due to contamination. And given that Tesla is the only one you can get parts from, and that in another thread they're charging $1000 to replace 2 simple aeroshields now, the cost of parts is also high.

Status
Not open for further replies.