Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S lost an argument with a parking garage: advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my first quote recently, from Sunnyvale Autobody. They're not Tesla-certified but they do aluminum. Bob said that they wouldn't need to replace the quarter-panel (nor could they, as a non-certified body shop), but it looks fully-repairable by taking off the bumper, reshaping the aluminum, repairing the bumper via additional plastic layers, then repainting (indicated MC red isn't an issue), comes in at just under @$2K:

$1,152 for 14.4hrs @ $80/hr body labor
$560 for 7 hrs @ $80/hr paint labor
$256 in paint and miscellaneous supplies​

They said it would be four business days of work, and that they can often successfully remove and reapply the carpool stickers, but if not I can get them replaced at the DMV. The shop is highly recommended, both from a friend and Yelp.

I'll get a couple more estimates in the next day or two, but if this is my best option I feel like I'm not getting off too painfully...

- Bill

Reactions: mblakele and Xpress
VIN 9790 on a 60? With rear quarter panel damage? Isn't this a write-off?

What's your loan term? Do you have gap coverage? It may be better to just take that and use the opportunity to upgrade to a 70.

I do have gap insurance (72-month loan term, about 50% paid), but I don't see any way they'll consider this car totaled, and if my understanding is correct the only way to find out would be to file a claim, in which case I'll likely see my insurance go up and, potentially, the car tagged as structurally damaged. Is there a different way to proceed?

- Bill

I do have gap insurance (72-month loan term, about 50% paid), but I don't see any way they'll consider this car totaled

This looks more extensive than the repair JST did and his bill was $18000. So if your current vehicle value is less than $36000 (which it could be if there are e.g. 70'000 miles on it) it would be considered a total loss.

I don't know how to find it out without going through the process though. Maybe go to a Tesla authorized repair center and get a: "as if insurance" code from them?

I got my first quote recently, from Sunnyvale Autobody. They're not Tesla-certified but they do aluminum. Bob said that they wouldn't need to replace the quarter-panel (nor could they, as a non-certified body shop), but it looks fully-repairable by taking off the bumper, reshaping the aluminum, repairing the bumper via additional plastic layers, then repainting (indicated MC red isn't an issue), comes in at just under @$2K:

$1,152 for 14.4hrs @ $80/hr body labor
$560 for 7 hrs @ $80/hr paint labor
$256 in paint and miscellaneous supplies​

They said it would be four business days of work, and that they can often successfully remove and reapply the carpool stickers, but if not I can get them replaced at the DMV. The shop is highly recommended, both from a friend and Yelp.

I'll get a couple more estimates in the next day or two, but if this is my best option I feel like I'm not getting off too painfully...

- Bill

In your shoes, I'd probably let them take a shot--but if they end up not being able to fix it, can you still file a claim?

In my case, I filed a claim and the insurance company asked the body shop to take a crack at fixing it without replacing the quarter panel. The shop did that. I didn't see the result, but apparently it was clearly bad enough that the adjuster had no trouble authorizing the quarter panel replacement after he inspected it.

That might be the road to take in your case, too.

You should specifically ask them if the work that they are proposing will be reported as a structural repair. A structural repair will seriously ding your car's value. If it is going to be structural, you should seriously consider trying to find another way to get the damage fixed. If it isn't, that's a good deal.

Got a quote from a second body shop, Westcoast Auto Body and Painting in Santa Clara (very well reviewed on Yelp). Their quote came to $1,360:

$490 for 7hrs @ $70/hr body labor
$560 for 8hrs @ $70/hr paint/refinishing labor
$285 for paint/materials
They had another Tesla out front, which I take as a good sign, though it sounds like they haven't worked on a great number of them. He noted that since I'm looking to save on repair costs he would mask rather than tape off the rear quarter window, as removal would entail a lot more labor. He confirmed that nothing would get reported to Carfax (unless I file through insurance, in which case it could).

I have one more quote to come from the Tesla Authorized shop in Santa Clara, Chilton's.

- Bill