Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model S warranty expires in two months and I’m looking for an exhaustive list of things to inspect and possibly fix before it expires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past with Benz and BMW’s I had to complain and describe specifics, such as “customer states squeaky noise coming from from left part or car (would mean that they need to check out suspension or cv boot)”.

— I am looking for an exhaustive list of all items that can go wrong with an 8 year old model S with 100k miles, and then the proper ways to describe those things so that they have to look to see if anything is wrong. Anyone have such a list?

You’re wasting your time.

Tesla will want to charge you a diagnostic fee for every “issue” you raise. If something is found that is covered by warranty they’ll waive the fee for that specific concern but you’ll be on the hook for everything else.
So maybe the way to go is get a thorough 3rd party inspection? Then bring up those issues to the tesla service center?

Upvote 0
if under warranty I thought they charge $200 for diagnostic for all of the items that you bring the car in for that visit. But then again I’ve only dealt with third-party warranties where the dealership had a perverse incentive to find as much as they could wrong with the car so they could make money

Upvote 0
Years ago they used to have 50,000 MI inspections. Cost something but it did get them to check a host of things. I did get a lot of stuff fixed for free. And, of course, some good peace of mind. Interestingly one of the problems found was that an airbag that had been replaced was never actually even connected. Kind of amazing what happened back in those old days!

Upvote 1
In the past with Benz and BMW’s I had to complain and describe specifics, such as “customer states squeaky noise coming from from left part or car (would mean that they need to check out suspension or cv boot)”.

— I am looking for an exhaustive list of all items that can go wrong with an 8 year old model S with 100k miles, and then the proper ways to describe those things so that they have to look to see if anything is wrong. Anyone have such a list?
Procrastinating eight years on your car is like waiting until the day before your doctor retires to get all your tests done. Another analogy is trying to get someone to do your homework for you. It's due tomorrow but was assigned eight years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0
Procrastinating eight years on your car is like waiting until the day before your doctor retires to get all your tests done. Another analogy is trying to get someone to do your homework for you. It's due tomorrow but was assigned eight years ago.

Perhaps, but only if the doctor would guarantee that all the medical expenses would be paid for anything he found! The warranty is the issue. The battery and drive unit warranty ends now, and it sounds like he has the extended warranty as well. I can see his point. In fact I think it's a good idea.

Reactions: tubaprde
Upvote 0
@tubaprde I'm going to get my car looked at thoroughly by an independent Tesla repair shop that I go to for the annual brake service and have him itemize all the stuff that needs to be fixed (that I haven't noticed and already got fixed) and will present that to the SC two months before my extended warranty expires in July 2023

Reactions: tubaprde
Upvote 0
I am looking for an exhaustive list of all items that can go wrong ...

In addition to the list @KalJoMoS posted above, I'm attaching two more checklists I've a copy of.

I have done the paid services they used to recommend in the past:
Fixed Price Annual Service 24 Month/25000 Mile/40000 km = Paid $700+tax
Fixed Price Annual Service 4 Year/50000 Mile/80000 km = Paid $725+tax

If everything is working fine now, I wouldn’t worry about anything. Even if they check it out and everything is fine today, that doesn’t prevent something from going out tomorrow.

Agree. Personally, I don't even want to approach any service center proactively if something is not already broken. They also can break stuff in the process along with keeping your car for days or weeks.

Attachments

• Annual_service_inspection_checklist_en_us.pdf
    395.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Car Maintenance _ Tesla.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
@tubaprde I'm going to get my car looked at thoroughly by an independent Tesla repair shop that I go to for the annual brake service and have him itemize all the stuff that needs to be fixed (that I haven't noticed and already got fixed) and will present that to the SC two months before my extended warranty expires in July 2023
Awesome what’s the name of your shop?

Upvote 0