Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S was keyed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess that's when you take out the SD Card and swallow it :)

That reminded me of this news story:

"A British Columbia hang-glider pilot whose failure to hook in his passenger caused a dramatic mid-air struggle, which ended with the woman falling 300 metres to her death, pleaded guilty Friday to criminal negligence.
William Jon Orders pleaded guilty to criminal negligence causing the death of 28-year-old Lenami Godinez-Avila, who fell from Orders’ hang-glider shortly after takeoff above B.C.’s Fraser Valley on April 28, 2012.
Orders, 51, was also charged with obstruction of justice after he swallowed a memory card containing video of the incident."
B.C. hang-glider pilot pleads guilty in woman’s death - The Globe and Mail

Sorry to hear of the keying OP. Accidents are one thing but deliberate damage is hard to swallow (sorry for the pun.)

Can the SD card in the camera be encrypted with a password? If so, at least in US, you can't be compelled to hand over the password. That would be a major condition for me to have a dash cam on the chance the video could somehow be incriminating.

blackvue would have captured the criminal. He's lucky he didn't do it in my driveway. I have two German shepherds and 1080P night vision cameras with auto alert for movement on the perimeter tied to a DVR. I wouldn't have shot him because it might hit the car and dogs wouldnt get to clean their teeth by chewing on him for alittle bit. It would have made a great video!

Off topic, but that's a bit dark. Shooting? Human chew toys? There's a difference between a thief and someone who could potentially be a random punk keying car. With the exception of those who perform reprehensible unthinkable crimes there's still at least some value to human life/health

You can fix that yourself with touchup paint, fine wet/dry sandpaper and a buffer. I've fixed some fairly large scratches with excellent results. They use solvent in this video, but sandpaper works better IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can fix that yourself with touchup paint, fine wet/dry sandpaper and a buffer. I've fixed some fairly large scratches with excellent results. They use solvent in this video, but sandpaper works better IMO.

That would scare me. And this is a lease so I'm very hesitant to DIY. I was pretty unhinged the night of but I've bumped into some Tesla folks up in Tahoe (two new SC stations in Truckee!) and they were so cool that I've mellowed out. I'll get a body shop to deal with it. Going forward, I have a car cover and I'll just be sure to use it every night.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would scare me. And this is a lease so I'm very hesitant to DIY. I was pretty unhinged the night of but I've bumped into some Tesla folks up in Tahoe (two new SC stations in Truckee!) and they were so cool that I've mellowed out. I'll get a body shop to deal with it. Going forward, I have a car cover and I'll just be sure to use it every night.

Be very careful about using the car cover. From what I've read, you can actually wind up damaging your finish pretty easily if the car isn't completely clean and dry when you put it on. I don't have one, so I'm not up on all the details. I'm just suggesting you look into it a bit.

File a police report for vandalism and then give the report number to your insurance, if you have comprehensive coverage the insurance will cover the repair with no deductible or increase in premiums.

wrong. Same thing happened to me, I did not have to pay the deducible my by premium did go up and it did affect my quotes for insurance when I switched. It is a non at fault claim.

File a police report for vandalism and then give the report number to your insurance, if you have comprehensive coverage the insurance will cover the repair with no deductible or increase in premiums.

wrong. Same thing happened to me, I did not have to pay the deducible my by premium did go up and it did affect my quotes for insurance when I switched. It is a non at fault claim.

I doubt either one of you is completely right or completely wrong. I would expect the specifics depend on the state, the insurance company, the policy, etc.

Are you sure about this? Have things changed since 2012?

Judge: Americans can be forced to decrypt their laptops - CNET

Two recent decisions have changed this: one toward them not being allowed to do it, and another saying that even if they're not allowed to do it, but decide to do it illegally, it can still be used. I think more clarification will follow, but the trend is toward that encrypted is better.

Anyway, if you use a OTP and password and hide both and say you don't know how it's set up (which could be true if you let those brain cells get reused or discarded), even if they force you, there's nothing to force.

So, both of you are right: they still do it, but they aren't supposed to, and it's harder for them.

Most encryption has backdoors for NSA, btw (if they didn't just receive the electronics rfi clear in the first place). It's more likely evil interests will coopt NSA access in a way that hurts you than NSA prevents the same or greater amount of hurt through government duty. But that doesn't mean you should make it easier for them.

Jesus. I never want to swallow a chip. Forget that!

Do you think it was random, personal, or some kind of 99% v. 1% thing?

Always curious about this too. I have "should totally key them" come across my mind many times. Yet times I've done it is exactly zero because it's not my ****ing car so I shouldn't touch it. I typically only have this though when I see someone parked like an ******* (parking horizontally across sports, taking two spots, etc). Again never done it and never will. Just...curious.

Yes, swallowing a chip is obstruction/destruction and will get you in trouble. Refusing to hand over a password is a 5th ammendment right and I'd be very willing to hire an attorney and work with the EFF to protect it.

I really worry about this keying issue where I live because it's a very "Carbon Friendly" area and I have already gotten some negative comments about my LEAF from passersby. Surprisingly they tend to be from middle aged and older women. My assumption is that they have spouses/children who may be out of their Oil Rig/Fracking jobs due to current low oil prices.

I may have to do the dashcam with a "Smile: You're on camera" sticker somewhere. Also considering getting dropping a few options to offset the full paint protection treatment. However, when they can't scratch the car, they'll probably just cut the tires.