Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X is SMOKING???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has it been raining? I noticed your headlights are on. The LED headlights have a heat sink back there and if some water got into the headlight housing you may have water vapor evaporating off the heat sink.

Though I would definitely get it checked out!

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Has it been raining? I noticed your headlights are on. The LED headlights have a heat sink back there and if some water got into the headlight housing you may have water vapor evaporating off the heat sink.

Last rain occurrence was 2 weeks ago (I am in SoCal) it's just very windy though (Santa Ana winds).

People have definitely reported moisture in their headlights and Tesla reportedly keeps saying this is normal. I can't see how this could be normal or good for the very reason mentioned here. Water + electronics = sadness.

Rain water on a hot component would not explain the odd noise in the video. If this was steam, not smoke from combustion, there aren't too many places that can come from: battery coolant, inverter coolant, or wiper fluid. It's possible that one of these lines has failed but only leaks when under pressure with its pump running.
All that said, I agree getting the car out of the house was the most important first step.

And the rain was long enough ago to have dried up by now, right? Hasn't rained up here for about a week.

About 2 weeks since my car was exposed to rain.

Rain water on a hot component would not explain the odd noise in the video. If this was steam, not smoke from combustion, there aren't too many places that can come from: battery coolant, inverter coolant, or wiper fluid. It's possible that one of these lines has failed but only leaks when under pressure with its pump running.
All that said, I agree getting the car out of the house was the most important first step.

The noise was evident from the AC intakes, that long open rectangular area. It's kind of making a hissing sound currently, like air is leaking from the tire?

Last rain occurrence was 2 weeks ago (I am in SoCal) it's just very windy though (Santa Ana winds).

I grew up in Monterey Park. I remember the Santa Anas well, but in the middle of winter was rare.

If it can't be rain water around the headlights it probably is something in all that equipment between the firewall and the frunk. It definitely needs to be checked out.

I go into the garage to take my glasses out of the car and noticed large amounts of steam/smoke leaking out of the bottom front under-shield of the car. And it has a faint to medium smell of melted rubber/plastic. The car was also making some strange water noise. Never experienced this before, its roughly 76 degrees in the garage. Is this a concern?

Sounds like the carburetor or your head gasket is leaking oil - better check the spark plugs and get it in for an oil change and radiator flush. Stick to 10W40 in this weather.