Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y's "Near Death Experience"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the original poster but when I had my Homelink installed the Ranger disconnected both the 12 volt (frunk) and high voltage battery (rear passenger seat) before doing anything. He said it was part of the official process for installing Homelink.

Perhaps this step was skipped?

Also, it took a reboot or two for Homelink to show up on the display (after the install and reconnecting the batteries).
As we all know, there are MANY computers in Teslas dedicated to specific functions or body components. My theory is that if one of these systems goes offline or has a hiccup, it translates into bizarre symptoms, sometimes seeming unrelated to the actual issue.

This is consistent with the observation that errors like these resolve "spontaneously" when the car is allowed to go into deep sleep and essentially reboots all systems.

how much I adore this car.

Personally, I wouldn't have any feeling remotely close to adoration towards a new vehicle that required my whole day off just for something like Homelink installation. On a day off, I'd plan to do something activity with my family. That's why I hate it when I expect a delivery and the sending company said give them a window of 4 or 6 hours. In this case, I'd feel like I was wasting the whole day babysitting this tech guy from a "tech" company. Shouldn't be this way. It's almost like they're figuring things as they go along. Anyways, that's how I feel. YMMV.

Personally, I wouldn't have any feeling remotely close to adoration towards a new vehicle that required my whole day off just for something like Homelink installation. On a day off, I'd plan to do something activity with my family. That's why I hate it when I expect a delivery and the sending company said give them a window of 4 or 6 hours. In this case, I'd feel like I was wasting the whole day babysitting this tech guy from a "tech" company. Shouldn't be this way. It's almost like they're figuring things as they go along. Anyways, that's how I feel. YMMV.

Maybe adore was a little strong, It was more that I was really disappointed that it happened to the car, and realized that I really like this car and having a hiccup like this on something so simple to install bothered me, again as I really like this car. My homelink was part of a bigger service event initially, as I have really minor post-delivery issues outstanding, and was nervous to even let Tesla touch the thing as I have come to terms with those little things and am more concerned with them causing more harm than good. I asked them to do the homelink first as the other appointment date wasn't until the end of August, figuring "What could possibly go wrong with a homelink install?". ;)

At least I work from home so no day off required, and could watch it being worked on from my home office window. I tried not to loom due that whole Covid thing, and being in a meeting at the same time. Basically it was like watching an automotive version of IT Crowd, The Tech kept "Plugging it in" and unplugging it, then testing than plugging it in and unplugging it. Wish me luck on the 25th.....

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Had my first service experience today with the Model Y and as the header denotes, could have gone better. It was a routine Mobile Service visit to install Homelink. The gentleman came and installed it in little time. He drove off and I hopped in the car to roll it into the garage. I noticed the Orange Triangle of Dispair and saw error VCFront_a192: Electrical System power reduced Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly. It would not shift into gear or anything. It was dead in the driveway, and going nowhere fast. Luckily the mobile tech number was still in my call log so range him up fast and he returned.

He spent the next 2 hours trying to bring the car back to life and chatting back and forth with the Service Center. We were probably about 2 minutes from getting a tow to take it in. I will say his tenacity was wonderful and very appreciated! He told me this has happened to him once before on another Model Y and that they don't fully know what triggers it but it is not an isolated event. All I could think was if this is what happens when you add an accessory what else is in store, but it also told me how much I adore this car. :) Anyhow, wanted to share with the group in case it happens to you. It seems fixable if/when it happens...with a degree of determination on part of the tech.

Thanks for sharing. I have a Homelink coming next week and hope it doesn't happen to me! I'll at least leave my car in the driveway close enough to the wall connector in case I have to plug in!

Thanks for sharing. I have a Homelink coming next week and hope it doesn't happen to me! I'll at least leave my car in the driveway close enough to the wall connector in case I have to plug in!

Sorry, I realized when I was saying "plugging it in", it wasn't to the charger, but rather reconnecting the 12v and disconnecting it, then reconnecting it. But still not a bad idea to keep it within charging distance :)

Let's hope hackers never figure out how to do a ransomware attack.
Newbie here, please redirect me if this comment is posted inappropriately, or the comment is already part of another thread ...

Ordered a MY with an expected delivery window late summer and am becoming more aware of all things Tesla. I'm certainly only scratching the surface. Watching the news regarding ransomware and close cousin virus software, I get a bit anxious when thinking about driving my new "computer on wheels" and seeing a ransomware message pop up with some variation of, "you're about to drive off a cliff if you don't pay up!".

Anybody know of protections I should be preparing against bad actors? I'm thinking like virus protection software add-ins or automatic backups kept offline.

Newbie here, please redirect me if this comment is posted inappropriately, or the comment is already part of another thread ...

Ordered a MY with an expected delivery window late summer and am becoming more aware of all things Tesla. I'm certainly only scratching the surface. Watching the news regarding ransomware and close cousin virus software, I get a bit anxious when thinking about driving my new "computer on wheels" and seeing a ransomware message pop up with some variation of, "you're about to drive off a cliff if you don't pay up!".

Anybody know of protections I should be preparing against bad actors? I'm thinking like virus protection software add-ins or automatic backups kept offline.
Start by not giving your account password to anyone else. This sounds like an obvious thing, but every day I read a comment on these boards saying "you should gety TeslaFi or some similar app to track all your data". But all those systems only work if you give them your password. And that means full access until some undetermined time after you next change your password. Anything you can do from the phone app, they can do.

Here's a long thread on the subject: PSA: Don't use third-party apps and services, period.