Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX in car accident while in transit by Tesla rep after repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have stated it will be on the carfax for sure. I had an insurance claim where my son opened up the door and scratched a person's car. She refused to take my money for it and insisted to use my insurance. The total was like $500 in damages total (it was considered property damage so zero deductible). When I went to sell the car it showed up as an at fault accident with property damage.
Thanks, mblanshard. I was just told they didn't file a police report so I supposed its a good thing. I think I should visit the service center and check out the damage to my vehicle (vs just relying on photos).

As others have stated it will be on the carfax for sure. I had an insurance claim where my son opened up the door and scratched a person's car. She refused to take my money for it and insisted to use my insurance. The total was like $500 in damages total (it was considered property damage so zero deductible). When I went to sell the car it showed up as an at fault accident with property damage.
What? Sorry that happened. Weird why the person refused a settlement.

What? Sorry that happened. Weird why the person refused a settlement.

She said she had a bad experience once so insisted to use my insurance. Not much you can do in that situation I mean my kid did the damage to her car so I was on the hook. There was also no police report in my situation too. This was in Milpitas, CA when I still lived there by the way so could still be relevant to your situation too. I would be sure to get it in writing that this will not show up on the carfax so if it does you have recourse with them.

I think almost all insurance companies sell their claims data directly to CarFax now. So if they pay it will be there.

Part of the reason the insurance companies do this is so that if your car has been repaired and then in another accident they know about the prior damage and can pay you less when they total your car. It's all about the money, and them keeping as much of it as possible.

Thanks, mblanshard. I was just told they didn't file a police report so I supposed its a good thing. I think I should visit the service center and check out the damage to my vehicle (vs just relying on photos).
Turns out the other driver was uninsured and police never came (was told there was a shooting nearby!). Tesla is just going to cover this directly w/o going thru insurance. In this case, I don't think it'll be recorded in carfax as the info won't be reported anywhere.

Do you still recommend I get some kind of assurance from T?

Turns out the other driver was uninsured and police never came (was told there was a shooting nearby!). Tesla is just going to cover this directly w/o going thru insurance. In this case, I don't think it'll be recorded in carfax as the info won't be reported anywhere.

Do you still recommend I get some kind of assurance from T?

Do you normally sell private party or trade into a dealer when you sell cars?

The car fax will most likely remain clean, but the paint work can be detected by a paint meter. Many dealers/Carmaxs use them so the repair work would be detected in that case (I have had this happen to me several times). However, if you sell private party, then you should be good since many buyers don't use a paint meter.

Police report almost certainly means it will be on Carfax. Unless they had the foresight to give the cop a wrong Vin number somehow.

Someone rearended me once and I got their admission of fault and apology on camera video and took pics and got their insurance info and never called cops (to her surprise and relief). She didn't want a ticket and I didn't want a Carfax.

Her ins co paid no problem --- as well as diminished value with some encouragement.

Being in the car business ......This is a very smart thing to do.

Do you normally sell private party or trade into a dealer when you sell cars?

The car fax will most likely remain clean, but the paint work can be detected by a paint meter. Many dealers/Carmaxs use them so the repair work would be detected in that case (I have had this happen to me several times). However, if you sell private party, then you should be good since many buyers don't use a paint meter.
I have never gotten rid of my cars (at least not yet)! Thanks for the info. Wonder if I can ask T to replace the bumper with a new one - in this case paint work will be the same so won't be able to detect?