Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Navigate on AutoPilot Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have taken several (about 6) trips (the longest was only an hour so far though) and used Navigate on AutoPilot on them. I have 2018.42.2 at this time. Here are my initial impressions. I'll update the post as I witness more or things change with future updates.

Concept and Interface

Great. Easy to use. Just enter an address and if the route involves highways/freeways you get the button to "Navigate on AutoPilot" and you just press it. After that, in the turn-by-turn directions, each step that can be handled by Nav on AP shows a small 'AutoPilot' steering wheel icon. Easy to get started in my opinion. Only small niggle is that the option to Navigate on AutoPilot doesn't always show up immediately. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds or so to become available. There is a blue path arrow that shows you that Nav on AP (NoA for short moving forward) knows which lane you are in and previews the lane it wants you to be in. The nav turn by turn alerts you to "Upcoming lane change" with an arrow pointing left or right. When a lane from the highway splits (example at an interchange between the highway you are on and the one you need), it will signal itself and move toward the split lane it needs automatically. If you need to change lanes, NoA as it stands in 2018.42 will tell you to use the stalk to indicate a lane change and then it will change lanes at that point.

In Use: On-ramps (TL;DR Grade: "F")

Even though I have gotten on several onramps that look like (according to the icon in the turn-by-turn) Nav on AP capable, so far my experience for onramps is quite bad. Maybe the icon shouldn't be showing up on the onramp and it just can't handle onramps yet. But if the icons are correct, then it seems to be telling me that it thinks it can. The problems I see are all related to speed...but there are multiple sub-problems.

Complaint #1: Too slow. In my experience so far, Nav-on-AP handles the curves/steering (in clover leaf style) OK on the onramps, but goes 15-20mph slower around curves than an average (or even cautious) human driver. This causes drivers behind the Tesla to potentially get irritated...and causes ME to get irritated too ;)

Complaint #2: Has problems accelerating to highway speed. The car is supposed to be getting on a highway. As we all know, drivers are taught to enter the highway at the speed of traffic. But Nav on AP has all kinds of various speed limit issues. Doesn't accelerate to freeway speed in a timely manner. When coming out of the bend, it accelerates very slowly towards the speed limit. not taking advantage of the power available to a Tesla but more importantly not seeming to realize that the onramp lane it is is will soon become the highway lane. Would likely get rear ended by a car in the right-most lane (if I let it). Instead I have to hit the accelerator and get it up to speed. Seems to favor absolute smoothness over getting to highway speed in a safe distance.

Complaint #3: Has problems understanding between previous street speed limit and highway speed limit. When you engage NoA on an onramp, it often assumes the 'speed limit' is the last surface street speed limit. This is even worse than the scenario above because then the 'speed limit' (including actual merging onto the highway) is surface street speed limit (let's say 35) plus your AP offset (mine is 7), say 42mph. Obviously it is super dangerous to try to merge onto a highway where cars are going 65-75mph at 42mph.

Every onramp had one of these problems. So even though I couldn't always guess which of the particulars would be occurring, in all cases I would have to handle the onramp myself, just like pre NoA times. "F" grade.

In-Use: Off-ramps (TL;DR Grade: "D+")

Interface wise, generally not bad. Car informs you that NoA is ending in X feet (or meters I presume in other countries) and it counts down (600,500,400, etc). When it finishes counting down, you here a new "triple" tone and you are dumped back into regular AutoPilot. The NoA "path arrow" disappears from your Nav/IC at this point. What happens and when depends...a lot.

Scenerio 1: On off-ramps that end with a single lane. It works great. Logically this is because NoA gets you completely off the highway and then after perhaps a hundred to two hundred feet on the off-ramp, it puts you back on regular AP and with only a single lane of traffic, auto streer and adaptive cruise kick in to keep you moving down the offramp. This is the ideal situation and results in the best results - but personally only a few of the offramp I used were like this.

Scenario 2: On off-ramps that feature one off-ramp splitting into two lanes, it does not handle well so far. I have an offramp I have tried multiple times which consists of an offramp that splits into a "Y" - you can stay left to (eventually) turn left or you can stay right to (you guessed it!) eventually turn right. NoA turns off about 100-150 feet before it should IMO. I say this because the Nav knows which way you'll be going (left or right), so if it kept NoA just a little longer before dumping you back to standard AP, it would get you in the correct lane. Instead it dumps you to regular AP in the "no man's land" time when there is a very wide single lane just before the "Y" and AP has no idea what to do. So you have to immediately disengage it. Not very useful and could be quite dangerous in fact.

Scenario 3: One ramps that feature one off-ramp splitting into more than two lanes gives NoA, as you'd probably suspect, the most difficulty. It will often give you a message saying (something to the effect of "This intersection not supported". For those in the Bay Area, try the southbound exit from Highway 17 at Hamilton. It splits from one lane to 4 (two going left, one going left or straight and one going right). Similar to how NoA didn't handle the two lane split exits I tried (see scenario #2 above), this also results in regular AP being activated at a time and place where it does zero good and you have to immediately take over. Like i-m-m-e-d-i-a-t-e-l-y immediately. Only saving grace here is that it warns you (like a few seconds before) that this is an "unsupported' intersection which would indicate that at some point in the future, it will become "supported" and will likely be handled better. But so far, I'd give it a D+ overall for offramp handling with the exception of single lane non-splitting offramp, in which case I'd give it an A.

In-Use: Highway interchanges (TL;DR Grade: "B+")

So far in my use, this is where NoA works best currently.

Scenario #1: Lane you are in splits into two lanes. One stays on highway you are on, the second goes to a different highway you want/need to get where you are going. This is where NoA seems the most "magical" and behaves like a good human driver. Smoothly handles the split in my experiences and takes the highway interchange well and (unlike the onramp experience) will handle curves at normal comfortable speeds (not too fast, but not too slow) and then accelerate smartly back up to (the new) highway speed and handle merging cars OK. It is most magical when it is allowed to stay in it's lane and the lane simply splits. This is because you don't have to activate the turn signal to change lanes like normally you still do as of 2018.42 (I know there will be a feature in the future to waive this requirement).

Scenario #2: New highway you want requires you to be in a specific lane in advance (no split). Very similar to above, except it feels slightly less magical as you have to (with NoA's prompts) to manually move the turn signal stalk in advance to allow NoA to move you into the correct lane. It feels less magical, because it is very similar to how you could have previously did it with normal AP. Still, works fine.

Scenario #3: Double Merges. Does not handle double merges well. This is where cars from one highway are moving to the right most lane to exit the highway while your lane requires you to move from the right lane to the left to stay on your (new) highway. I'll have to try this again to confirm, but I think NoA flashed me some kind of warning message (maybe saying this interchange was "unsupported" or something). In any case, it didn't really handle it well, but I forgot if I instinctively deactivated NoA or if it dumped me into regular AP which I then deactivated. Giving it a demerit for double merge handling but otherwise this is the most impressive feature so far and gives a preview of the future when NoA may really work well in all/most scenarios.

I'm excited to see this evolve and I'll try to update this thread with my own observations with new firmware releases to see how NoA changes.

To expound upon what I said about double-merges...I think the issue is that NoA isn't aggressive enough in general in changing lanes (i.e. it won't do a lane change that many drivers could easily do) and then when you add the complexities of having to merge you to a different lane while also seeing/reacting to multiple cars coming over into the lane you are currently in...it just hasn't worked well in my experiences so far. At this point, I am already initiating the lane change when NoA tells me too, but the red lines indicating it isn't safe for a lane change stay on for a long time and then the lane change is cancelled by NoA. And when it cancels, sometimes there is barely any time left to react (lane I'm in could be exiting the highway). I know it is trying to be safe, but sometimes it seems it is a bit too passive for maximum safety. I'd like to see the setting (mild, normal, Mad Max) be tuned for how assertive it would be for lane changes (slightly tighter "windows", temporarily exceed speed limits/offsets to accelerate more briskly for lane changes, or slow down a bit more sharply to get behind another vehicle to make lane changes more easily. Instead the "MadMax" setting seems to just indicate to have NoA tell you to change lanes on your current highway to avoid getting stuck behind slower moving traffic. Having it do that is fine, but would be good if it would also make the car accelerate and/or decelerate a bit more assertively to change lanes. Changing lanes isn't unique to double merges, but on (especially short) double merges, you can clearly see that NoA is too timid to handle these with 5 cars coming into your lane (in front and behind you) while trying to get you moved over simultaneously to remain on your intended highway.

I'm sure it will get better. Double merges are often not simple even for humans, so makes sense that NoA would struggle on these as well.

After doing considerable driving around town on limited access highways the last two days using NOAP, biggest concerns with the current software (42.3):
  • Occasionally will make unnecessary recommendations to change lanes - especially when going through automatic toll plazas (with EZ tag) or when positioning for a multi-lane exit ramp or highway interchange. This isn't a huge problem, because the software is only advising on lane change now - and the recommendation for lane change can be ignored.
  • What's really annoying is automatically slowing down - for no reason. This often is due to the poor speed limit data, especially in areas of recent construction or road changes. And in other cases, there's no obvious reason why (when driving in a straight line) the software either decides to automatically lower the TACC set speed - or ignores the TACC set speed completely and slows down below the set speed. These speed changes can pose a safety risk, if they happen in heavy traffic with vehicles following too close behind - and not expecting rapid slowing by the AP software. Until they can get these issues fixed, would rather have a setting that would disable the automatic speed control completely - and only use the speeds that are set manually through the cruise control stalk

Speed issues seem to permeate most current NoA problems. And @bob_p ’s obersavations are further instances of this. Have already heard there is an update that will return your car to the original lane after suggesting an overtake lane change (which was missing before). But more importantly will be the future update to enable AP to read speed limit signs - something Elon has has said Tesla is currently working on (yes, I know AP1 can read these signs already, but we are talking about AP2+ here).

As per my original post, I think Tesla needs to consider the actual on-ramp itself as a special case. Rarely if ever do you see a speed limit sign on an on-ramp (for good reason). But the speed “limit” should definitely not be the previous street traffic limit (ex: 35mph). Nor should it necessarily even be the speed limit of the highway you are getting onto. Because the safe speed to enter a highway is at the speed of traffic. As humans we inherently grok the fact that while we know the speed limit may be 65mph, if the right lane traffic is going 70 or more, we will accelerate accordingly to match speed to safely slip between existing vehicles and merge smoothly. But AP needs to (IMO) not be so dedicated to the speed limit (even adding the offset the user has selected) when it comes to merging onto a highway from an on-ramp. It ‘knows’ the speed of traffic from it’s radar and (it seems) its dual time-delayed image pairs from the cameras. So optimally it would “scan” the traffic pre-merge and get a sense of the traffic speed and match that speed.

Until this becomes a reality, the next best thing would probably be to maybe temporarily add 10-12mph to what it knows (currently by database, in the future from traffic sign reading) is the highway speed limit. Once safely on the highway, it could then fall back to the speed limit+user offset. Long story short, it needs to handle the entire on-ramp experience in a more “AI” way because it’s a special case that transitions slow moving city traffic to extra-fast moving highway traffic and it has to do a better job “sensing” the situation IMO, particularly when it comes to “speed limits”