Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Juicebox 40 issue

rogerssa

Aug 11, 2021
West Lafayette
So yesterday I finally was able to get electricians to house and get my 240 plug installed in my garage. So when I got off work last night I was able to power up my new Juicebox 40 and set it up. First App isn't very good and underwhelming. That said I got it plugged into my new M3P and car showed 40amps connected and it started charging away. About a 1.5 hours later I get a notification from Tesla app that the charging was interrupted. I go out to garage and look and see that the breaker (50amp non GFI) was tripped. I unplugged the car and flipped the breaker back on and it instantly tripped again. I felt the Juicebox and it was extremely hot. Almost to hot to touch. The cable and plug didn't feel hot at all. So I waited a hour or so and it cooled. I flipped the breaker back on and the Juicebox powered up and started a constant beep. Which according to their site its a internal GFI error. I called Juicebox (will say I was impressed I got to talk to someone right away) They had me turn it on and off a few times to try and reset the internal GFI. Didn't seem to work. So they asked me to leave it plugged in but flip breaker off for another hour. I did that and then the beep went from 1 to 5 which appears to be a internal circuit error. Now they say I need to get a replacement and they are sending one my way.

I just hope that I didn't cause the issue. I don't think I set up the app wrong and I can't see how anything would have caused the problem. Any ideas?

Electrician is coming back to double check wiring, but I trust these guys they have done a TON of work for me and the company I work for.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Any particular reason you are using a juicebox and not the mobile plug that comes with the car (which would have just required buying the appropriate adapter), or the tesla wall connector (which can charge faster than 40amps)?

Did you try using the tesla mobile connector in your outlet, vs the juicebox? Sounds like a bad juicebox, but unless you already had that product (which feels unlikely because you had to have an electrician come install the outlet), Not sure why you have that product over the included tesla mobile connector, or the tesla wall connector.

rogerssa

Aug 11, 2021
West Lafayette
Good question. I bought the Juicebox as we expect to buy another EV car in near future or so and it won't be a Tesla. So I went that route so I have a charger for it too then.

I didn't try the mobile connector as I don't have the 14-50 adapter for it to plug into the new outlet.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Good question. I bought the Juicebox as we expect to buy another EV car in near future or so and it won't be a Tesla. So I went that route so I have a charger for it too then.

I didn't try the mobile connector as I don't have the 14-50 adapter for it to plug into the new outlet.

Ok.. but even if you are buying another EV, you had an outlet installed, not a hard wired connector, so you bought the juicebox at whatever that costs, vs the the 14-50 for the mobile connector which is like $45.

I get why you installed the outlet (instead of getting the tesla wall connector) but I do not get why you bought the juicebox instead of getting the 14-50 adapter for the included mobile connector. I am virtually certain the juicebox is more than the $45 adapter.

/shrug

Anyway, Hope the replacement juicebox works for you, but if it were me, I would return it and buy the 14-50 for the mobile connector.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I do get that if you plan to charge both a Tesla and a non-Tesla, that just getting a J1772 charging station is the most convenient, so I don't disagree there. It's just unfortunate that I haven't heard very good stories about the reliability of Juicebox products. I would recommend Clipper Creek highly.

cali8484

Jul 8, 2018
California
I just hope that I didn't cause the issue. I don't think I set up the app wrong and I can't see how anything would have caused the problem. Any ideas?

I doubt you did anything to cause the issue. EVSE overheating usually indicates wiring wasn't tightened properly inside the unit. It happens with other EVSE's including Tesla ones as well. You should not try to use it again.

Soul Surfer

Sep 4, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a Clipper 40A L2 wall charger which I have used on both my Volts (Gen 1 &2). It has been extremely reliable yet “dumb”. I expect to be able to control my M3LR charging, through the car & app itself, based on what I have gleaned so far here. By the way, great source of information here - thank you.

Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
JuiceBox is good. It sounds like you just got a bad unit.

I'm happy with our JuiceBox Pro 40. It can delay charging until the grid is on lower cost and greener energy. Also it can charge the car to your desired SoC, which recent Leaf models can't do by themselves.

The JuiceBox app UI is not obvious, so see the how-to videos on their website.

About using the cars' mobile chargers, would their 240VAC plugs really hold up to daily plugging and unplugging?

GPinzone

Sep 3, 2018
Ronkonkoma, NY
Is the Juicebox hardwired or is it connected with a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug? If it's connected by a plug, is the outlet GFCI? If so, maybe the internal GFCI in the Juicebox is having an issue being in series with the GFCI in the outlet.

Car chargers have GFCI built-in, so the one in the outlet is redundant. Yes, I know the electrical code requires it for electric cars, but it's still dumb. I'd tell the electrician that your outdoor NEMA 14-50 is MOST CERTAINLY NOT for an electric car. It's for an RV or a welder. Yeah, that's the ticket. *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

Webeevdrivers

Jan 2, 2017
Canada
We went thru that with our Juice Box when it ran at 40 amps on our model 3. No idea why. The problem never showed up on the leaf as it only drew 27 amps. We just ran it at 32 amps until we sold it and installed a second (lower current) EVSE for the leaf and then just got a second Tesla mobile charger that we installed permanently in the garage. 32 amps is fast enough for us. We only have a 100 amp service so our second (outside EVSE is a 12 amp 240 volt clipper creek outside. Works well, albeit slower. Fast enough for a commuter car though. Couple pics. The mobile connector can look good if installed nice. If its in our garage, it has to look good. :) And yes for those of us with townhouses and 100 amp service this is about as good as it gets if you want two stations that you can use at the same time. Otherwise one has to look at load sharing devices like NEOcharge or dryer buddy.

Cheers

51422906390_48969d503c_c.jpg

48734103846_70d4afbb66_c.jpg

Reactions: Rocky_H

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC