Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My outdated 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The great thing about Tesla, they are constantly innovating new features into their cars on a daily basis. The bad thing about Tesla, they are constantly innovating new features into their cars on a daily basis!!

At the end of last year, I ordered my brand new, top of the line car. Went for the best in hopes it would be considered somewhat "current" for at least some time.

So, here we are less than one year later, and my $130,000+, top of the line (at the time) P90D is now sadly outdated. I get that they don't follow traditional model years like all other manufacturers. Is that really a good thing though? I'm on the fence. How many people are not happy to have spent a premium price on a car only have it be so outdated just months later? Heck in some cases, it can be outdated just a few days/weeks later.

My car when ordered had the best available following features that now, less than 10 months later are no longer true....
1. Nose cone was current, now looks old compared to new car.
2. Headlights now outdated.
3. Rocker panels, now outdated.
4. Don't have a center console (had to pay $1,200 to have one added)
5. 40 amp charger now improved to 48 amps for faster charging times
6. Standard piano black trim now upgraded as base.
7. Ugly 19" wheels now upgraded to be more in line with both available optional wheels offered.
8. Premium interior doesn't include latest features released a few months ago.
9. 90 kwh battery is no longer the best available
10. 2.9 0-60 is now bettered by 4/10ths of a second.
11. Autopilot now outdated.

#9, 10 and 11 were the primary reasons I chose to upgrade from my 2013. It drove me nuts that there were new features available, so I took a bath on my car and paid full price for the best I could get. Now, here we are just a few months later and again, the three primary reasons I upgraded and spent a fortune on a new Tesla have all already been outdated. Now, my choices are. 1. Live without the best for another 2+ years. Or 2. Take another bath, probably to the tune of a $50,000 loss over a few months, and go buy a new one?? Probably to have it be outdated again in a few more months.

Not complaining or whining, just stating facts. I can't be the only one bothered by having their car outdated so quickly can I ???

Again, love the company and their innovation and constant improvements. But twice now my car has been very quickly outdated. It would be nice if Tesla were able to offer reasonably priced retrofits to older cars (meaning one purchased last month!!) and keep their existing customers happy and not feeling burned by bad timing of a new release. Unfortunately, they rarely offer retrofits and the few that they do are unreasonably priced. I wanted to add front sensors to my old car and it was something like $8,000 just to do that.

While I likely will struggle to ever go back to an ICE vehicle, I will say for peace of mind, it's nice to know that when you purchase a newly revised model of just about any other car, it's likely going to be current for a minimum of 3 years, often times closer to 6 or 8 years on higher end models. Generally there are very minor year to year revisions. But Tesla has completely re-written that book. Just trying to find the positive for existing owners in this model??? The software updates are great, but the above 11 items can't be resolved by software updates.

Also, at least with other manufacturers, you know at least 18 months ahead of time when a new model is going to be released, so you can hold out for the new model. With Tesla, they keep everything secret until one day, boom, it's available for sale on the website.

So, while the above I guess is "complaining", I'm not doing it for the sake of just whining, but more in the hopes that if other owners feel the same way, possibly we can encourage Tesla to keep their existing customers in mind by finding ways to offer retrofits to cars that maybe are less than a year or two old? If they get enough feedback, maybe they'll listen. As it is now, their attitude is "just buy a new one". While some owners are already on their 5th Tesla, that's not practical for most of us.

I've ordered my P90DL on April, received it end of June. 10 days later, had a small accident. It stayed 3 months in the approved body shop, mostly waiting for parts from Tesla because of their shitty communication and logistics. I got my car now, and they've done a shitty job, it is going back tomorrow again. I also had some issues spotted on delivery, and of course, they are also not fixed.
Now, ask me.
I'm really pissed. I've ordered my car about 7 months ago, only driven 300 miles. It is already outdated twice. Depreciation is huge.
I think I'm done with Tesla. They are just trying to keep stock value high by making people talk about them. By rolling changes every 3 months, they just make existing customers angry.

...it's nice to know that when you purchase a newly revised model of just about any other car, it's likely going to be current for a minimum of 3 years...Just trying to find the positive for existing owners in this model???...Also, at least with other manufacturers, you know at least 18 months ahead of time when a new model is going to be released, so you can hold out for the new model. With Tesla, they keep everything secret until one day, boom, it's available for sale on the website....possibly we can encourage Tesla to keep their existing customers in mind by finding ways to offer retrofits to cars that maybe are less than a year or two old?

Thoughts: how is your Tesla less useful today than yesterday? It isn't. Your happiness has been affected not by anything wrong with your car, but with knowledge that someone else may have something better than what you have. That's completely irrational and illogical. However I am subject to the same feelings - I am human. The solution is to recognize that it is idiotic to hope progress slows down so you know that what you have is as good everybody else for a little while longer. I am that idiot also but "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves ..."

Lastly, I think Tesla is moving so fast, straining every last resource, that they don't have resources to devote to keeping old customers upgraded. It would be irrational on their part.

They are going to lose customers because they built a better car? Of course not. Customer like you/me might stew a little while - and then do what? Sell the Tesla and buy something inferior to make a point? Of course not - we'll just salivate over and more likely trade in sooner and buy the latest greatest Tesla.

Other manufacturers do not need to keep things secret my friend because their cars are all essentially the same. Nothing in a 2017 MBZ E class is mind blowingly better than a 2004 E Class. They can't Osborne themselves because their cars are mature products.

Tesla has a very different product - they MUST keep everything secret or they would be losing sales all the time. Right now they have nerds like us holding off on purchasing because we watch the tea leaves - but imagine if they told everybody clearly that next year something revolutionary is coming? That would be stupid on their part.

The problem is not with Tesla but that the only thing we have to compare them to is the rest of the auto industry where change never happens. We are all so use to the idea that if you buy the 2016 model now that even with a body change the 2017 model isn't going to be THAT big of a difference. And most of the time there is no difference from the 2016 to the 2020 model.

If every car company innovated at the speed Tesla does it would be common place. I have an 85D that is 4 months old, am I sad I won't get AP2? A little. But in 7-8 years when I am ready to buy my next Tesla I'll be able to get AP4.0 plus self charging and full self valet. All because I am sure Tesla will keep on innovating. Stick in it for the long haul people.

I've basically decided to lease if I get another Tesla because the Technology changes so fast and they just aren't very reliable. Always need fixing. Owning my 2013 P85 out of warranty makes me very nervous. Especially considering it's back in the shop AGAIN due to an internal charger failure. 54k miles and 3yrs old should not be having things like that fail. The TCO advantage of EVs over ICE due to less moving parts and all that nonsense looks like it will be a load of hot air. Love the car and dont want to drive anything else but the build and component quality leaves a lot to be desired. These poor service guys.. my heart goes out to them. It must be super frustrating to have to keep fixing the same crap over and over in some cases even on the same car

I have a 10 month old MS and the part I don't like is that all the development will go towards the new car and tech and our existing cars will not get much attention and be stuck with bugs and software meant to run on faster processors. Think Apple and two year old iPhones.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
It's all a frame of mind. You create your own reality. You can either be happy with what you have, or envy what others have. Really, what you are saying is that you'd be happier if no one else got all these new constant great changes. Well that's a pretty bad attitude if you ask me. I was happy when people got AP shortly after I got a non-AP vehicle. And I've enjoyed it every day since. When it comes time to upgrade, I'll get all these new great things too... but only for a short time until the next great thing comes out.

It's all part of life. We can't control how it unfolds but we can control how we react to how it unfolds.

I have a 10 month old MS and the part I don't like is that all the development will go towards the new car and tech and our existing cars will not get much attention and be stuck with bugs and software meant to run on faster processors. Think Apple and two year old iPhones.

But I don't think they have upgraded the CPU in the CID, so that software will still be the same. What will be different is AP between old and new cars.

Could Tesla offer a fully self driving hardware Model S after only four years unless they had the most rapidly evolving vehicle in the history of the automobile! If you did not see that coming, you have not been following Tesla.

Even Elon has thanked folks many times for paying the huge price as early adopters. It has not been a secret you were buying something that would quickly be surpassed.

Innovation as a Battering Ram to beat the S*** out of the competition
In my opinion trying to build an entirely new car company and to keep it from going under, you must out innovate your competition. To do that requires the constant innovation we have been seeing. My feeling is that Tesla will need to continue that innovation. They need to focus on things like interior and exterior build quality to equal the existing nonUS manufacturers. I would say the build quality they have now is superior to most American cars I have ever seen, but does not match the best Europeans or the very best of Asia. It was funny the first time I sat inside a Tesla, the power, handling, and exterior were all awesome. The interior that vaguely reminded me of an average American car, but a little cleaner without the buttons. They have come a very long way, but have some way to go on that front. The seats in the Model X are an example of innovation we must constantly see, they look so much better than the S seats. They need to constantly improve in order to surpass brand x and convince more people to buy.

Hardware Retrofit Drains Resources from Innovations
Focussing resources on retrofits would drain limited resources from the enhancements we all want to see. As someone who works in software development, you're always balancing fixing issues with the current version while trying to develop new features. Too much work on current versions means no big enhancements or new versions. Would you be happier if it took 5 years to come out with autopilot v1 and 10 years for autopilot v2? Probably not.

Retrofit has a Potential for Immense Liability
In my opinion with US liability laws they are going way out on a limb compared to any car company that has ever existed implementing autopilot so rapidly to begin with. Trying to retrofit things like the self driving features or enhancements to those features is something that could easily kill Tesla if there were safety problems with those retrofits and all the differences they have in the prior versions. Look at what happened to Samsung or Boeing and the billions their battery issues cost them. My feeling is that the safety issues, complications, and amount of testing required of an automobile is many times that of a the most advanced phones ever created. Making updates to one common new version is straightforward. Multiplying the engineering, testing and different updates to the little differences between all the prior versions could bring innovations and updates to a halt.

Market Too Small to Justify
Probably 10% of folks are willing to spend the $5k or $10k at a time it would take for some of these updates, like autopilot upgrades, new seats, new bumpers etc. Is that enough of a market for Tesla to focus resources with all their other priorities they currently have, probably not. When it gets to be a much larger company, retrofits might be feasible, no doubt they are moving too fast and too lean to worry about that at the moment.

Don't wear yourself out trying to keep up with the Joneses
You are driving a car that probably 80% of Americans cannot afford to own, with many performance and convenience features that have never existed in history. Congratulations on your immense success in life, be happy with enjoy what you have now. You don't have to have the very newest and best every moment. You can be happy driving around your old and outdated P90D Tesla for a few more years even if it only has Autopilot v1. If you want to have something that evolves slowly and is very similar to the model from ten years ago, buy a Mercedes...

Look forward to that new Tesla you will no doubt buy in a few years based on the constant innovation...
May the circle of Tesla buying and whining continue...

Last edited:
The problem is not with Tesla but that the only thing we have to compare them to is the rest of the auto industry where change never happens. We are all so use to the idea that if you buy the 2016 model now that even with a body change the 2017 model isn't going to be THAT big of a difference. And most of the time there is no difference from the 2016 to the 2020 model.

If every car company innovated at the speed Tesla does it would be common place. I have an 85D that is 4 months old, am I sad I won't get AP2? A little. But in 7-8 years when I am ready to buy my next Tesla I'll be able to get AP4.0 plus self charging and full self valet. All because I am sure Tesla will keep on innovating. Stick in it for the long haul people.
What 4.0? This is the big one that'll drive the car as you read a book. We missed it, and we're pissed. With that said, I understood things like this could happen going in (well, really began to understand a lot more once my deposit aged a week), but what left me more jaded was this Q3 fire sale they had, contradicting their promise and policy that I was sold on.

Reactions: NicB72
but what left me more jaded was this Q3 fire sale they had, contradicting their promise and policy that I was sold on.

What promise and policy? You sure didn't do much homework if you didn't go in knowing Tesla's policy of constant innovation. As to promises, you got exactly what you paid for and it complies exactly with your written contract. If someone told you that there would be no innovation, sorry, but I don't believe it since it makes no sense that you'd believe that in the first place.

What promise and policy? You sure didn't do much homework if you didn't go in knowing Tesla's policy of constant innovation. As to promises, you got exactly what you paid for and it complies exactly with your written contract. If someone told you that there would be no innovation, sorry, but I don't believe it since it makes no sense that you'd believe that in the first place.
Their promise and policy to never discount brand new cars. You sure didn't do much reading of my post. Here it is again..
With that said, I understood things like this could happen going in (well, really began to understand a lot more once my deposit aged a week), but what left me more jaded was this Q3 fire sale they had, contradicting their promise and policy that I was sold on.