Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My outdated 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their promise and policy to never discount brand new cars. You sure didn't do much reading of my post. Here it is again..

Yes, my apologies. I misread your post. Sorry.

I also don't know who will pay the $3K for full self-driving features right now. Even Tesla believes it's a year away. Wonder what percentage will pay $3K now and just let that sit in Tesla's coffers rather than wait and see what it's like before shelling out $4K (or some other amount as Tesla changes prices all the time). At that point you might as well use the $3K for Tesla stock, because if it really works, TSLA will be up more than 30% once they have the world's first self driving car.

$3k upon purchase and $4k after. Buying it up front may be a better investment than TSLA stock in the same time period, in addition to the fact that there's no risk.

So I can see a lot of people buying it.

Reactions: Mickie
We all know not every model S is perfect, buying a new one always bear the risk of getting new "surprises" here and there. No one wants to go back to body shop or service centre or drive a loaner, I love my car which came real close to perfection and I am not willing to give it up. I believe I am not the only one who is willing to pay, but just not willing to try my luck on a new model S, retrofitting is the best option for people like me who want to have level 5.

And they will have to spend resource on figuring out how to retrofit anyway, if anyone with pre AP 2.0 car crashes their bumper and need a replacement few years later, will they give you a replacement bumper with the "old" ultrasonic sensors? Same applies to faulty old cameras and radar, they won't stock or produce all "old" versions of replacement parts to streamline service. And these hardware are essential, unlike retrofitting a new nose cone, HEPA filter or next gen seats which are optional and not cost effective to work on

Given the durability of model S and lack of third party service centre, Tesla has to face this issue one day. And you can see they knew how to replace/upgrade the battery on day 1 since they expected that one, now is the time to start working on something else

I figured most would take my post as whining. It really wasn't that. I just wish there was a way to have existing owners who just spent $70, $80, $100+ grand on their cars feel like they can stay current at least for a little while. Again, I love Tesla and they are second to none. It's just a tough balance to get used to. Even your new iPhone is good for a year before the next update. That's just not the case with Tesla. Just have to get used to it. My only point was it would be nice if there was a way for the most recent buyers to have the option to pay for reasonably priced retrofit so they don't feel immediately burned a week or a month after forking out $100 grand on a "NEW" car.

I do think Tesla has to be careful about getting too big for its britches. Their pricing model is unique to Tesla and most prices they charge are "because they can". Less than a year ago, the highest price Tesla Model S I think topped out around $143,000 if you got everything. Now $8,000 for AP. $10,000 for the 100 battery, $10,000 for Ludicrous. I think a fully loaded Model S can top out damn close to $170,000. Tesla at $100,000 was always considered an expensive car, but praised for still being reasonably priced for what it was and being much cheaper than the Luxury or Super Car brands. At $170K, it's closer to that $200K mark and the price is no longer a "bargain". You're definitely going to be paying for the "Tesla" name. I think that's going to hurt them down the road as they've certainly priced several people out of the Tesla market. The amazing thing is, when you think about AP hardware included and Ludicrous mode, that's $18,000 all in the "flip of a switch" as both are software controlled. Considering all the hardware is already there, that's some big "confidence" by Tesla.

Makes me wonder how much it will be to get a Model 3 with the features that really appeal to the "i want a Tesla" market. AP is almost a must have. $8,000 on a $35,000 car could be a turn off to those that can't afford a 25% price bump for the one option that appeals most to them. And to charge Model 3 buyers less for the exact same thing as the Model S or X has would not make a lot of S & X owners happy. We may have the money and can afford it, but we didn't get here by being stupid with our money or being taken advantage of. Anyway, just think they're walking a fine line. We'll see how it all plays out.

And they will have to spend resource on figuring out how to retrofit anyway, if anyone with pre AP 2.0 car crashes their bumper and need a replacement few years later, will they give you a replacement bumper with the "old" ultrasonic sensors? Same applies to faulty old cameras and radar, they won't stock or produce all "old" versions of replacement parts to streamline service. And these hardware are essential, unlike retrofitting a new nose cone, HEPA filter or next gen seats which are optional and not cost effective to work on

I doubt that's how they will handle this. I suspect they just kept left over old stock for replacement parts and probably have a slow lane in the plan that can produce repair parts as needed for old cars.

Reactions: davidc18
What makes me angry, it's just the timing... Received my brand new 2016 REFRESHED (!) TMS last week... and they tell me this morning that i'ts already outdated and no retrofit possible.

Spend 110K € in this car, waited the new model before sending my order, thinking it would be the better model for a few months/years but no, it's outdated already.

Why didn't they include all the new stuff while releasing the refreshed version ?! this is so silly ! they launched 2 different models in 6 months, how can the consumers be happy with that ?

I'm so disappointed with Tesla now, such a poor commercial politic.

What makes me angry, it's just the timing... Received my brand new 2016 REFRESHED (!) TMS last week... and they tell me this morning that i'ts already outdated and no retrofit possible.

Spend 110K € in this car, waited the new model before sending my order, thinking it would be the better model for a few months/years but no, it's outdated already.

Why didn't they include all the new stuff while releasing the refreshed version ?! this is so silly ! they launched 2 different models in 6 months, how can the consumers be happy with that ?

I'm so disappointed with Tesla now, such a poor commercial politic.
Is there anything that can be done to return the car after only a week?

OK, so a month or so old Tesla is the second best car on the road. Second only to the latest and greatest. Considering I've been driving a 1992 car until this June, I'm content.

But then I think the whole autopilot thing is overblown. It's handy when stuck in traffic and on long relatively straight stretches of highway, but there are a lot of situations where I wouldn't use it. I doubt I would trust a fully autonomous system either. Maybe I'm too much of a control freak, but I don't like AP on curvy roads.

As others have already started, Tesla makes keeping up with the Joneses one of their main business models. They're a lot like Apple, in more ways than just their retail store model.

Yep... but we're talking about +100K $ cars, not smartphones... and even Apple is not dumb to the point of releasing a MAJOR update on a six month old model and telling the retrofit is not possible. that's incredible.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
As others have already started, Tesla makes keeping up with the Joneses one of their main business models. They're a lot like Apple, in more ways than just their retail store model.

All the hype is amazing. Telsa like Apple, Musk like Jobs. .. people just go for it..
Hopefully not too much disappointment about non-functioning hardware.
I can't recall any other car company that generated this much media attention ( other than VW recently )

As someone who just took delivery of his Model S in August, I'm not at all sorry. I look at it as a much more fun way to spend the money than buying the stock (which I also do some of).

Your "outdated" model S is still superior to pretty much every non Tesla car on the road. I'll buy you a top of the line Honda if you'll trade me your old, crappy, outdated, caveman-like model S :D