Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Performance seems neutered worth upcharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am torn between the MY performance or the AWD with boost. Had a stealth 3 before this and the acceleration was gut punching at least more so than the standard AWD 3. Test drove a Performance Y with the 21's and was underwhelmed, then test drove a stealth Y and it was much faster by seat of pants.

Just bought my Wife an AWD Y and paid for the boost and the car is pretty quick. Raced it against our stealth 3 (both 80% SOC) and the stealth pulls harder and gains about 4-8 car lengths off the line but then they are both identical (meaning no one is gaining or trailing).

The 3 is a lighter car and I am wondering if anyone has swapped the 21" ubers off the PY for an aftermarket set of 19"s and noticed a big difference between that and a boosted Y with Geminis?

Having a hard time justifying the 10k upcharge and then having to sell the ubers/tires for another set of 19's and new tires. The roads where I live do not permit 21's can I drive year long in summer tires. Seems like you get a great deal with the 2K boost.

Hi all, I am torn between the MY performance or the AWD with boost. Had a stealth 3 before this and the acceleration was gut punching at least more so than the standard AWD 3. Test drove a Performance Y with the 21's and was underwhelmed, then test drove a stealth Y and it was much faster by seat of pants.

Just bought my Wife an AWD Y and paid for the boost and the car is pretty quick. Raced it against our stealth 3 (both 80% SOC) and the stealth pulls harder and gains about 4-8 car lengths off the line but then they are both identical (meaning no one is gaining or trailing).

The 3 is a lighter car and I am wondering if anyone has swapped the 21" ubers off the PY for an aftermarket set of 19"s and noticed a big difference between that and a boosted Y with Geminis?

Having a hard time justifying the 10k upcharge and then having to sell the ubers/tires for another set of 19's and new tires. The roads where I live do not permit 21's can I drive year long in summer tires. Seems like you get a great deal with the 2K boost.
I haven't driven a MY LR but have a MYP on order and have driven the M3P. The MYP definitely feels slower. The 3 felt like it is very close to the suggested 0-60 times of around 3 seconds but the MY felt like it was significantly slower than 3.5 seconds. No idea why. Maybe they plan on releasing a performance update soon? Maybe they just measured the speed differently than the M3P.

Assuming by a 'stealth Y' you mean a performance one without the lowering, larger brakes and 21" wheels. You can't order one anymore.

I'm not sure how that would be faster than a regular performance Y though. Maybe the battery charge level was much lower in that one?

BTW: the torque curve will have a major impact on how 'fast' a car feels. From reading on this forum it seems the 3P has way more torque at very low speed.

Reactions: Riguy
I haven't driven a MY LR but have a MYP on order and have driven the M3P. The MYP definitely feels slower. The 3 felt like it is very close to the suggested 0-60 times of around 3 seconds but the MY felt like it was significantly slower than 3.5 seconds. No idea why. Maybe they plan on releasing a performance update soon? Maybe they just measured the speed differently than the M3P.

Could be as everything seems to be a moving target. In my opinion the presentation of 0-60 stats for other cars vs the 1 ft ratings of the performance models is a little dishonest as the real delta between both models actual 0-60 with or without roll out is much quicker. There is tremendous weight differences between the gemeni wheels(or aftermarket 19") and the 21" ubers so sprung vs unspring weight.

Wouldn't any 19" wheel or any wheel smaller than the 21" ubers change the final drive ratio to allow for more accleration? I did not have a draggy and butt dynos are very subjective from person to person but there was a bid difference between the performance Y with gemenis and the other performance y with 21" ubers.

Yes, neither performance Y hits as hard off the line as the 3P , it seems like they are holding a little back for a future update and or the car is just heavier and perhaps it might be pushing the motors?

Assuming by a 'stealth Y' you mean a performance one without the lowering, larger brakes and 21" wheels. You can't order one anymore.

I'm not sure how that would be faster than a regular performance Y though. Maybe the battery charge level was much lower in that one?

BTW: the torque curve will have a major impact on how 'fast' a car feels. From reading on this forum it seems the 3P has way more torque at very low speed.

Correct, cant get a stealth Y anymore but you could swap out the ubers for a 19" tire of your choice. I think the tire size changes the gearing of the car and the smaller you go, the more acceleration you have to a point.

In this video, stock MYP with 21" ubers runs a 3.5 with rollout. Swapping out the wheels down to a 18" to 19" drops the 0-60 with rollout down to 3.2-3.3.

I for one wish that tesla would allow more tire configurations on a 60k vehicle.

I would imagine ignoring traction that a stealth 3 with 18"s is faster than a performance 3 with 19" or larger wheels"

I own a MYP and considering the base model+acceleration boost is available, I wouldn’t make the purchase again.

For whatever reason Tesla seems to be ignoring the Performance Y. No track mode, significant range hit, lack of tire/wheel options, *and* it’s an extra $8K when acceleration boost is worked in.

And if you happen to live someplace with seasons, figure an additional 2-4K for a second set of wheels/tires.

Not a great deal IMO.

I own a MYP and considering the base model+acceleration boost is available, I wouldn’t make the purchase again.

For whatever reason Tesla seems to be ignoring the Performance Y. No track mode, significant range hit, lack of tire/wheel options, *and* it’s an extra $8K when acceleration boost is worked in.

And if you happen to live someplace with seasons, figure an additional 2-4K for a second set of wheels/tires.

Not a great deal IMO.

Agreed. My plan was to buy the PY, sell the ubers and go aftermarket for a set of 19-20" wheels. Only reason I was leaning perfromance is if and when ludicrous comes out, there could be an upgrade path for Performance owners but I guess not likely. Tesla probably dosent want to start edging out the S/X in terms of acceleration.

I must say that the boosted Y on stock Geminis is very fast and only a few car lengths behind a stealth 3 or Y. Oh and from a roll say 35mph, those car length become closer and closer but that is not new information.

Track mode has to be around the corner or something in stow for the performance since they gave an additional 0.1 to the acceleration boost but nothing for the performance. They should do SOMETHING and that had to be track mode. I hope!

Could be as everything seems to be a moving target. In my opinion the presentation of 0-60 stats for other cars vs the 1 ft ratings of the performance models is a little dishonest as the real delta between both models actual 0-60 with or without roll out is much quicker. There is tremendous weight differences between the gemeni wheels(or aftermarket 19") and the 21" ubers so sprung vs unspring weight.

Wouldn't any 19" wheel or any wheel smaller than the 21" ubers change the final drive ratio to allow for more accleration? I did not have a draggy and butt dynos are very subjective from person to person but there was a bid difference between the performance Y with gemenis and the other performance y with 21" ubers.

Yes, neither performance Y hits as hard off the line as the 3P , it seems like they are holding a little back for a future update and or the car is just heavier and perhaps it might be pushing the motors?
Very true about the wheels. I'm really surprised they went with SUCH a heavy wheel design. Especially when the charge over the LR is 10k. They could have done a bit better to make the wheels lighter.

I guess I assumed the MYP was at the max it would be at. I figured the M3P got a performance boost because they found more efficiency in the motors/battery but that the MYP would already have that efficiency baked into the current design. I guess we'll see. Would love to get the car and get a performance boost eventually though!

I had a "stealth" MYP configured and ready to go with Induction rims but didn't pull the trigger because I hadn't test driven one yet. Three days later, after my test drive, the option to forego the PUP was gone. I did not realize at the time that there was only ONE tire available for those wheels. Just a ridiculous decision by Tesla and I do regret the purchase. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone with the boosted LR model.

The overall diameter of the 19’s 20’s and 21’s are virtually identical because of the lower profile tires on each progressively larger tire. The drive ratio remains almost identical on each option tire. Seat of the paints isn’t a good indicator of speed, a Draggy is a much better option.

• Love
Reactions: Marrus and Nakk
I have MYP on forged 19s. It’s faster than driving on the 21s. There’s about 20 lb difference in unsprung weight per wheel/tire.
I also had a M3P and the acceleration mapping at WOT off the line is just different; MYP is more gradual.

I have MYP on forged 19s. It’s faster than driving on the 21s. There’s about 20 lb difference in unsprung weight per wheel/tire.
I also had a M3P and the acceleration mapping at WOT off the line is just different; MYP is more gradual.

I think the MY torque curve will lose a few car lengths compared to the M3, but the flip side is the tires aren't nearly abused as much when launching.

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but you can still get a stealth version Y. Go to ev-cpo or search new tesla inventory and they have some demo/stock new ones listed, looks like you would save about 4k off a new MYP but less if you compare to a demo/stock MYP....

I had the same discussion and decided to purchase the LR AWD. I picked up the car on Tuesday and just purchased the Boost tonight. Can't wait to go try it out.

Reactions: imola.zhp
I owned a MYP for three months and unfortunately wrecked it (not speed related), and went with the LR with the boost the second time around.

It does have less punch off the line but feels almost Identical at any other speed to me and is plenty fast. I also like the ride quality of the LR as well as the look of the induction wheels over the Uber turbines. I wasn’t a fan so I bought new ones.

I ended up saving the $10K and spending a few more bucks on the tint, brake calipers, and ceramic coating, and I am very happy with the results.

I say save the $, it’s not worth $10K more, unless ss you love the Uberturbines and must have that extra .5 secs off the line.

Attachments

• 0FA50755-7D02-491A-896C-C8589E0B46F1.jpeg
    0FA50755-7D02-491A-896C-C8589E0B46F1.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 100
I owned a MYP for three months and unfortunately wrecked it (not speed related), and went with the LR with the boost the second time around.

It does have less punch off the line but feels almost Identical at any other speed to me and is plenty fast. I also like the ride quality of the LR as well as the look of the induction wheels over the Uber turbines. I wasn’t a fan so I bought new ones.

I ended up saving the $10K and spending a few more bucks on the tint, brake calipers, and ceramic coating, and I am very happy with the results.

I say save the $, it’s not worth $10K more, unless ss you love the Uberturbines and must have that extra .5 secs off the line.

what tint % is that?

Reactions: Modulus1