Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My phone works perfectly 100% of the time, it is a.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Galaxy S5 (Android) has to have airplane mode turned on and then off about 95% of the time before it'll connect to use the Tesla app. Quite annoying.

I can walk out to the car and use the phone to open the door with no problems, but getting the app to "wake up" and show the current charge level or mileage requires the airplane mode on/off crap.

Based on connectivity on similar apps, where you open a door, or remotely turn on a electric vehicle to precondition a car, my experience with Android has not let me down.. If all you do-gooders only care about having you're iPhones validated, without much electric car experience in YOUR background, go at it. I know what's worked for me.. and my electric vehicles (which I did state). If that doesn't count toward anything to your way of thinking, your loss.

Unfortunately it seems you don’t understand what you’re talking about.

None of us are discussing the mobile app functionality which, as far as I can tell, is nearly 100% effective across both android and iOS. There is little difference in Tesla mobile app performance between platforms.

There are no other cars on the market right now which use a background BLE process on a mobile phone as the car key. Therefore you have no experience with what we’re all discussing.

Again, this has nothing to do with mobile app functionality as you would have experienced on another automobile, even on another Tesla product. This is not about unlocking or preconditioning a car via app functions. If you have not used a mobile device as a car key for a Tesla Model 3 you are unaware of the context of this situation.

None of us are discussing the mobile app functionality which, as far as I can tell, is nearly 100% effective across both android and iOS. There is little difference in Tesla mobile app performance between platforms.

There are no other cars on the market right now which use a background BLE process on a mobile phone as the car key. Therefore you have no experience with what we’re all discussing.

Again, this has nothing to do with mobile app functionality as you would have experienced on another automobile, even on another Tesla product. This is not about unlocking or preconditioning a car via app functions. If you have not used a mobile device as a car key for a Tesla Model 3 you are unaware of the context of this situation.
Are you saying the kid doesn't know what he is talking about? You know they say, kids say the darnedest things.

When the ElectricKid grows up to an ElectroMan then everything we say will fall into place. And that cannot happen unless the kid gets his M3. Owning an M3 is like coming of age. The kids these days think they know everything driving a Volt or a Leaf, or worse an i3, until they come to the major league with a Tesla.

Last edited:
Are you saying the kid doesn't know what he is talking about? You know they say, kids say the darnedest things.

When the ElectricKid grows up to an ElectroMan then everything we say will fall into place. And that cannot happen unless the kid gets the M3. Getting an M3 is like coming of age. The kids these days think they know everything driving a Volt or a Leaf, or worse an i3, until they come to the major league with a Tesla.

It would be the height of irony if when he gets his car his app works perfectly but his phone as his car key does not, and then he understood what exactly it is we’re talking about here.

It would be the height of irony if when he gets his car his app works perfectly but his phone as his car key does not, and then he understood what exactly it is we’re talking about here.

and then the cry wolf affect will kick in and he'll find it hard to get help in the form of constructive replies to his posts as he posted so much smack before he got the car.

Reactions: mtndrew1

Fair enough, but I have to say.. it would behoove this great group of analysts / seniors (I'm just a kid) to get in touch with the company and inform them of your scientific discovery, and advise: fix the Android issue. Seems it's a quicker solution than harping here. Anyway, moot point: you've probably already upgraded to an apple product. Carry on..

Fair enough, but I have to say.. it would behoove this great group of analysts / seniors (I'm just a kid) to get in touch with the company and inform them of your scientific discovery, and advise: fix the Android issue. Seems it's a quicker solution than harping here. Anyway, moot point: you've probably already upgraded to an apple product. Carry on..

If it were an easy problem to solve I presume it would be...solved. I’m certain Tesla wants this issue buried and solved as badly as everyone else does.

In my experience most people who love android do so because of the extensive variety of hardware combined with the software modifications available. This is probably exactly what makes it so hard to configure as the ignition key to an automobile.

iOS products are almost invariably running the most current OS on an extremely narrow scope of hardware configurations with no OS skin or carrier modifications. This is probably what makes it easy to program as a predictable ignition key.

The OP came here looking for advice on which phone would give the best results as a car key. As you can likely see, right now, that would be a current iPhone. I’m sure at some point in the future there will be android phones approaching the same success rate but it doesn’t seem to be the case today.

iPhones are the safest option.
Androids are fun, especially if you're technically minded, but there are too many variables for them to be a safe bet (different brands, different versions, different skins on each version, huge variety of hardware/chips/radios).

Which is why I stick to Nexus or Pixel variants.

(I don't have my 3 yet, but if any model of Android phone will work, without any associated bloatware/skins/etc muddying things up, it's those 2)

(I don't have my 3 yet, but if any model of Android phone will work, without any associated bloatware/skins/etc muddying things up, it's those 2)
As someone who has had a few Nexus-es and currently has an OG Pixel XL, I have some bad news for you...

That being said, mine does work more often than not, but I still have to open the app sometimes to get the car to notice me.

Based on connectivity on similar apps, where you open a door, or remotely turn on a electric vehicle to precondition a car, my experience with Android has not let me down.. If all you do-gooders only care about having you're iPhones validated, without much electric car experience in YOUR background, go at it. I know what's worked for me.. and my electric vehicles (which I did state). If that doesn't count toward anything to your way of thinking, your loss.

I've been an Android user for just about 8 years, so I have no interest in trying to validate anything about iPhones.

You're getting confused between something like OnStar RemoteLink for your Volt or the Tesla App versus the direct Bluetooth LE connection that is established between the phone and the Model 3 to allow the phone to serve as the key. So no, it actually doesn't count toward this discussion at all because it's the later that is giving people issues.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about the remote capabilities of the Tesla app, which allows unlocking, pre-conditioning, etc, via Tesla servers from anywhere you have an Internet connection. (Except, of course, for that day a few weeks ago where the servers were down and it wasn't working for anyone.) When people are complaining that the phone isn't working as the key, it's the direct Bluetooth connection at fault, not the functionality of the app.

I agree with your basic premise having been almost exclusively a Nexus/Pixel user (save for a short stint with OnePlus--bleh), but even all Pixels aren't immune. You'd think that plain vanilla, non-bloated, completely up-to-date Android would work 100% of the time, but it doesn't (though some are having better luck than others).

Reactions: ModelNforNerd