Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solution for quarter panel break ins

Would you do this?

• Yes

• Maybe

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another owner under one of the other break in threads bought 2 side windows for templates I guess and was looking into picking up plexiglass from TAP Plastics to experiment with. Curious to see how that goes. I keep my back seats down and resent having to do do but less than having to replace my glass. There’s also the Trunk Shield an owner here fabricated. Probably the most secure way I’ve seen to protect things in your trunk.

Not a M3 owner, but a S owner... but i must say this post is full of genious ideas. My rear passenger window was smashed sunday while out with some friends...in SF. Also kept my car empty, but forgot to fold down the seats...they didn't take anything except 300$ for my deductible.

Not a M3 owner, but a S owner... but i must say this post is full of genious ideas. My rear passenger window was smashed sunday while out with some friends...in SF. Also kept my car empty, but forgot to fold down the seats...they didn't take anything except 300$ for my deductible.
Just had a loaner Model S from the Santa Clara service center. They asked me to keep the back seats down and keep the trunk cover folded up.

Hey all, sorry to come in late and resurrect an old thread, but I find this idea intriguing and had a question. First, not a victim of break in's yet, but I did just get this product to install on my wife's 3:

Model 3 Rear Corner Window Protector Kit - $39 with 20% Off

Seems like it will do the trick.

But I do love the idea of an aluminum replacement. Especially since I have a CNC machine and could easily cut it and even do something cool like put a Tesla or Model 3 logo engraved into it.

Question for @Clemmy, the glass is slightly curved (it, not flat - convex on the outside, concave on the inside). How did your fabricator deal with that? I could have the CNC do that for a perfect match, but it would be a LOT more work, but would be nice to skip if not really needed.

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I guess I'm at a loss on this one. Is breaking in through that little window that widespread that safeguards are needed?

My ICE is a Kia Optima SXL, like the below, and I've owned it for 5 years and have parked it in good areas and some pretty seedy areas and it, too, has a little rear window that if busted out would permit access to the seat releases, and I've never had an issue with people breaking into the car. Ok, in all fairness the Tesla and Optima are in different classes, the Tesla cost me $50K and the Optima was $41k. But still....

Optima.JPG

Another owner under one of the other break in threads bought 2 side windows for templates I guess and was looking into picking up plexiglass from TAP Plastics to experiment with. Curious to see how that goes. I keep my back seats down and resent having to do do but less than having to replace my glass. There’s also the Trunk Shield an owner here fabricated. Probably the most secure way I’ve seen to protect things in your trunk.

lexan is way harder. you want that, not acrylic.

I guess I'm at a loss on this one. Is breaking in through that little window that widespread that safeguards are needed?
Yes. At least in my case and in many others'.

All I can tell you is that our long-distance car was a 2006 Prius for over 13 years. We would load it, drive it and park it anywhere with impunity. In all those years we've never had even a hint of an issue. Then within a month of Model 3 ownership... using the car the same way in place of the Prius (loaded with the same gear, parking in the same places at the same times, etc)... the car was broken into while out to dinner in SF. My Prius cost ~$32,000. My Tesla looks just like one that costs ~$35,000.

Dunno what to say. It isn't ONLY happening to Teslas. But there were many luxury cars parked on the same street with mine... many that cost much more than my car... and the only broken glass was from mine that evening.

there are some 3d printable 'locks' for the model 3, at least, that may be useful. then again, not sure I want to anger a guy who already made up his mind to ruin my property for his own little gain ;(

Because I've built my own security, My DropLocks are for sale if anybody would like to try them for a discount.
FS: Droplock for Model 3 seatbacks

I might just leave my rear seats down, though. (sigh)
Yeah. Sigh is right! Unfortunately cars are being broken into even with the seats down. And there's the pesky issue where I actually need to take stuff with me in the car when I travel. I can't take a trunk-full of gear into every restaurant or other business that I visit. I need to secure my stuff, not use my car empty all the time....

Is this only a Cali thing? And who really leaves anything of value in the trunk that it’s worth breaking a window?

Seeing as some of you had cars with similar vulnerabilities, do you think it’s a Tesla hate/act of vandalism rather than an actual attempted theft?

Is this only a Cali thing? And who really leaves anything of value in the trunk that it’s worth breaking a window?

Seeing as some of you had cars with similar vulnerabilities, do you think it’s a Tesla hate/act of vandalism rather than an actual attempted theft?

More like a NoCal thing. They have gangs up there specialized in breaking into Tesla and they seem to always find good stuff in the trunk of MS and M3. Also this thread started before Sentry Mode. It could be less frequent now... at least it seems that way on the forum. I used to read about small window break in post every other week. Lately I have not seen those posts.

Reactions: DrtyJrze

This has been discussed to DEATH over the past two years I'm afraid. Plenty of lengthy threads to amuse yourself with if you wish. It is not only a Calif thing, but it is huge here. One compelling reason: We have more Teslas here than anywhere else. Millions of people leave valuable things in their trunk. It is simply not practical to take all possessions with you when you travel in your car... with the gear that you need for travel. If you have the luxury to user your car and never need to take stuff with you.... that's wildly different from my use of a vehicle. If I didn't take cargo with me, I'd rarely need to use a car.

I think that'll just encourage them to break the bigger window. They break the little one because it makes less noise, not because they're not willing to break the bigger one or because the bigger one is harder to break.

They make these lock things you can put on the seat release that prevents them from folding down the seat. And one guy sells an aluminum panel you can install to separate the trunk completely. But unless the thief knows that they're there and what they’re for they'll likely break the window before they figure it out.

What we all need is that unbreakable glass from the Tesla Cybertruck. :D

More like a NoCal thing. They have gangs up there specialized in breaking into Tesla and they seem to always find good stuff in the trunk of MS and M3. Also this thread started before Sentry Mode. It could be less frequent now... at least it seems that way on the forum. I used to read about small window break in post every other week. Lately I have not seen those posts.
That's a good point that I hadn't considered. The posts really have died down after Sentry was introduced. Hmm. Perhaps deterrence DOES work.

There is this magic invention called a mask that would completely negate Sentry mode.

If someone wants to break into you're car they’re going to. Even if you put in bulletproof glass they'd just pry bar the trunk and cause even more damage.

I think the best solution is to just not leave anything valuable in the car.

I think that'll just encourage them to break the bigger window. They break the little one because it makes less noise...
I have seen no evidence that this is true. Or at least nothing at all compelling. Certainly it is a concern and consideration, but it is far from a given. There are a few things we know for sure: They are almost always after a process that only takes a few seconds. The longer it takes, the higher the probability of being caught.

The bottom line for me: I can replace glass somewhat easily. I can't so easily replace my belongings. So my priority is to keep my stuff safe. Secondarily of course I'd like to keep the scumbags out of my car.

I still need a "silent" Sentry mode so that I can more safely leave my dog in the car AND have the other protections it offers. If the sound system goes off at full volume while my dog is in the car, it would be horrible for her.... or anybody.

I do think its a lot of tesla-hate, as you say, and it does seem to be a VERY common thing in the bay area. probably since there are so many m3's here.

the model s is a 'rich mans car' (by many standards) and I can understand that the economic class divide can create lots of resentment. that said, the model 3 is a normal priced car and owners are more likely to be regular 'working guys'. I don't think the thieves know that or even care, though ;(

the electric cars also get carpool lane access and this could anger people who cant afford this kind of car, or who think it costs a lot to own an EV.