Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My SR+ only has 45kW of usable battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need more than one data point to prove you have a problem.

There's actually not any problem here - he's just seen some loss of capacity. But all he needs is that rated miles at 100% with a warm battery to assess & quantify that loss of capacity. This trip meter stuff is interesting, but it's not required.

The kWh number on the trip meter for a battery that has lost this much capacity will always read about 4.7% less than "expected" from the Wh/rmi charging. So instead of 219/220Wh/rmi, he'll measure at most 209Wh/rmi. This reduction is due to the % of the full battery allocated to the buffer. And more likely he'll measure closer to 206Wh/rmi due to losses that are somehow not counted (that's about the % loss that I see on a 3P+ where I measure 230Wh/rmi (discharge)).

All of this is about as I would expect, within about 1kWh or so.

On a brand new SR+, the max you would ever see on the trip meter would be about 50.5kWh, to 0 rated miles. You might see 53kWh, max, if you drive until the car stops moving (about 10 miles more if driven at the 209Wh/mi level).

Any chance you have, whether deliberately or accidentally, SR instead of SR+?

With 100% rated miles of 223, this is not possible, since the max displayed rated range of the SR should be 220. I'm fairly sure Tesla won't ever display more than that (just based on their prior convention).

Last edited: