Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I’ll provide brief commentary of my Tesla experience, may relate to some. This post is of my views, and I do not intend to impose my views on anyone.

I currently own 3 Teslas, 2022 M3P, 2022 MY and 2023 MYP, prior I had a 2021 M3 SR+. I have a MX Plaid and CT on order.

I am no Tesla fanboy or a nerd but I am into cars, bikes, aircrafts, anything in mobility.

Pre Tesla

I grew up driving VW - VWs, Audis, Porsches and Skodas. My last ICE cars were SQ7, RS3 and Skoda RS.

My earliest engagement with Tesla was in 2015, when I was keen on a MS. The 7 months wait and the support (concerned of the lack of) made me walk into an Audi dealership. Fast forward to 2021, when there were some 1500 Teslas enroute to Australia, so for the first time, I’m able to get into a Tesla in 3 weeks.

Preparation to electrify

Anxiety and questions questions questions! Thankfully, this forum is a great place. People here are generally helpful. So big thank you to those who reached out to me then.

My journey so far

Range - I travel 25K annually, there is no range anxiety with proper planning. I have a home charger installed, but have not used it regularly (2 times in the last 12 months). I rely on free Chargefox public chargers and solar to juice my EVs.

Savings - I have saved circa $4500 annually from fuel, more if I factor in scheduled services required for an ICE car.

Charging - Fortunately, I have a free 22kW Chargefox charger (3km) and a free council 50kW fast charger (5km) near me. Admittedly, I see myself ‘planning my visit’ now as these stations are getting crowded with the increasing EVs.

Behaviour - Moving into EVs will see some behavioural change. For me, other than planning my journeys in the days to come (I keep my cars’ SOC at 50%), one positive behaviour change I experienced is my health. Instead of paying for gym membership, I chose to walk back home when I charge, walking back when the charge is completed. Walking evolved to running earlier this year. I lost 4kg since.

Service - This is where legacy brands are put to shame. I have 20+ services recoded and every appointment (mobile and on-site) is seamless. Note there is nothing problematic here, just being my OCD self, I schedule a service for anything from stains to the seats, trims to rattles. The longest they had my car was 5 days (loaner provided), to diagnose a rattle on the rear parcel shelf. This issue was looked at before, but seemed to reappear. And after 5 days and 250kms of testing, the culprit is my plastic shopping basket handles vibrating while the car is in motion 😂😂. We missed that because the basket is contained in the boot’s well. Kudos to the service team.

Service costs - Had 2 alignments and balancing done, one cabin filter change so far, adding up to $600. Try that with Audi.

Accident - I had 2 unfortunate experiences, my M3 SR+ and my M3P were both rear ended. Both took 5 months and 3 months to get back into the road due to lack of parts. Hope Tesla has upped the game since.

Driving - A familiar theme, driving is different from an ICE car, in a good way to me. Acceleration is instant, speed is maintained up/down a slope and regeneration is great.

Quality - Having seen the MS, build quality is definitely better than Fremont. And it has gotten better since 2021.

Comfort - Comfort is generally good, but not on par with the premium brands. The new comfort suspension is way ahead of the previous set up.

Software - I am not fussed with the typical complaints - phantom braking etc, as we are still the beta testers in Tesla speak. I enjoy driving, I do not engage driving aids regularly. Still, I like how the car updates itself and I find something useful like the signal cancelling function.

Think the above covers the ‘daily facets’ of owning an EV.

To this day, Tesla has matured and progressed. I have tried other cars from BYD to Porsche to Cupra to Hyundai, none can match Tesla’s offerings. And it’s my own opinion. I look forward to the competition catching up, offering good options as we transition to more EVs.

Ta.

F5A6BED4-8115-4FCA-A1B0-C99D5BF1653F.jpeg

Why are there two with exactly the same description, "Off peak period 250690991:E1" but different cost?
Increasingly it is becoming extremely difficult or actually impossible to compare electricity plans without deep diving into the bills and using a spreadsheet.

I wonder if the off peak difference relate to say off peak for weekdays and offpeak for weekends? or for different times of the year.
For example Energy australia peak electricity tariffs are the same as shoulder tariffs for weekends and off peak months of Mar-Apr, and Sep-Oct. (In other words EA effectively does not have peak tariffs for those periods

Reactions: paulp
Why are there two with exactly the same description, "Off peak period 250690991:E1" but different cost?

Energex doesn't even use those names, it calls them "Evening" (4pm - 9pm), "Overnight" (9pm - 9am) and "Day" (9am - 4pm).
The 8c (going to 10C) Off peak period covers from 00:00-04:00 Monday to Friday, it doesn't line up that well with the standard Energex time periods.

None of this matters if (like me) you don't have a 'smart' meter. 😞
My house didn't have one either. I'm pretty sure it was the same meter that was installed in 1975 when the house was built. Powershop got Energex to come out and upgrade my house to a smart meter. Didn't cost me anything other than some time and no power for a couple of hours during the upgrade.

Yep, me too. The retailer gets the wholesaler to come out and do the work (actually a contract electrician who is authorised to work on meters).. Some charge a fee but most do not- probably because it saves paying meter readers and gives the possibility of making TOU available. Some will even give you the old meter (after photographing it). Those who charge make it a few hundred dollars (happened to my son) but he still found it worthwhile. It can take months for the work to be done but other times a week or so. 5 of my kids plus self have had meters changed over so I speak from personal experience. Meter will be connected either by 4G/LTE or your WiFi.

Yep, me too. The retailer gets the wholesaler to come out and do the work (actually a contract electrician who is authorised to work on meters).. Some charge a fee but most do not- probably because it saves paying meter readers and gives the possibility of making TOU available. Some will even give you the old meter (after photographing it). Those who charge make it a few hundred dollars (happened to my son) but he still found it worthwhile. It can take months for the work to be done but other times a week or so. 5 of my kids plus self have had meters changed over so I speak from personal experience. Meter will be connected either by 4G/LTE or your WiFi.
So is it worth changing to smart meter if you don't have solar? A mate of mine is with Alinta and has a smart meter and his new charges will be about 15% higher than my fixed rate from Origin for general usage.

So is it worth changing to smart meter if you don't have solar? A mate of mine is with Alinta and has a smart meter and his new charges will be about 15% higher than my fixed rate from Origin for general usage.
In Noosa you're in the Energex area. That means if you have a smart meter, your underlying network tariff has to be either time-of-use or demand - but this doesn't necessarily mean your retailer can't offer you a flat rate. The structure a retailer offers is up to them.

Generally with an EV you'll often be better off on a time-of-use plan anyway, since the EV charging tends to be one of your biggest loads and it's easily shiftable to the cheapest time. Apart from that it depends on what your biggest loads are - if you have a pool or spa then shifting your pool pump / spa heater to the cheapest TOU time can be a decent saving over a flat rate tariff. Other loads it's easy to move are the dishwasher and washing machine (they usually have a timer / delay-start function). Also depends on if you have solar, and if you do, what your excess production looks like compared to your loads.

Some people think that if you have a smart meter, you must have TOU. This is incorrect. I've had fixed rate in the 5yrs since changing the meter (I needed the smart meter to be able to meter and get paid for FIT). Some retailers refuse to provide flat rate (even after advertising they have it) and try to make you go onto TOU. However I understand, but could be wrong, that such practices are illegal. Certainly, whether or not to get a Smart Meter is determined by individual circumstances. Even on a fixed rate, there can be other fringe benefits. For instamce, the Red Energy EV Plan has fixed rate and "free" electricity for 4hrs per weekend. That can only be done with a Smart Meter. Eventually, everyone will have one and there may reach a time when you have no say in the matter.

So obviously you charge your Tesla off-peak. Does it make a significant difference? I've been quoted $600 to go to smart meter.

Let's say the average fixed (non-ToU) tariff is around 36c/kWh, compared to 15c/kWh offpeak - a difference of 21c/kWh.

To make up the $600 difference you'd need to buy 2850 kWh of electricity at offpeak rates rather than at non-ToU fixed rate, which is about 18,300 km of driving.

So I reckon you'd be in front after 1-2 years.

But do your own sums based on the tariffs you can get.

ToU is bad for people who can't readily timeshift consumption, but it's great for people with EVs, and even better for people with EVs, solar and house batteries. We time-shift the vast majority of our grid consumption to offpeak.

To make up the $600 difference you'd need to buy 2850 kWh of electricity at offpeak rates rather than at non-ToU fixed rate, which is about 18,300 km of driving.
Yeah, the $600 charge is very unattractive. Apparently in the Energex area it's up to the retailer what they charge for a smart meter upgrade, so if you were going down this path I'd ring around the retailers and find out what they all charge - Red Energy did it for free for me (different DNSP area though).

since the EV charging tends to be one of your biggest loads and it's easily shiftable to the cheapest time
For me no. Pre EV my biggest electricity consumption is 3xAC. In winter can be over 100kW/24hrs. Most consumption is during off peak. But while EV charging can be easily time shifted, the cheapest elec is during excess solar (which is cheaper than offpeak from grid).

For those on single tariff, moving to ToU makes off peak cheaper (and cheaper to charge vehicle) however you pay for it with peak electricity. Some peak rates are triple the single rate. Meaning for every kW of peak tariff you use you could have had 3 hrs of single tariff.

As always YMMV
The best way to work out your hourly electricity consumption is to use a power consumption meter which (often called a CT clamp) - an electrician can install - basically a device which has a loop installed around the distribution cable. It will measure the electricity use 24/7. Give it about a year to work out when you are using electricity, then decide using a spreadsheet.

The differences are not necessarily all that massive.