Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR to MYP switchover thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We switched because we couldn't stand the wait. Even though we really wanted the third row with kids.

Original: MYLR7 MSM/white no FSD no Tow

OD - 5/7
EDD1 - Oct-Dec
EDD2 - 12/8-2/2

7/15 Changed to MYP black/white

EDD3 - Jan-April 2023
EDD4 - 8/16 - 9/20
EDD5 - 8/1 - 8/15
EDD6 - 8/3 - 8/14

Now just waiting on VIN....

When we changed original order to MYP on 7/15 we also ordered a second car: MYLR7 black/white no FSD no Tow

OD - 7/15
EDD1 - Jan - April 2023
EDD2 - 3/2 - 4/27

Good call….we did the same (ordered MYLR7 on 7-10 but quickly changed to MYP) but we rented a MYLR7 for a day to test out with the kids. The 7 seater is overrated honestly and barely fits anyone and when you do put a small child, the leg room is minimal and you lose majority of your trunk space. If someone needs a true 3rd row, the MY is not the way to go.

Good call….we did the same (ordered MYLR7 on 7-10 but quickly changed to MYP) but we rented a MYLR7 for a day to test out with the kids. The 7 seater is overrated honestly and barely fits anyone and when you do put a small child, the leg room is minimal and you lose majority of your trunk space. If someone needs a true 3rd row, the MY is not the way to go.
I'm with you, the third row is cramped for sure! We were able to test drive a MYLR7 with our kids in the third row and the dog... Basically impossible to fit everyone. We still like the extra seats for those times when I have to carpool extra kiddos or when we have family visiting but it's not a daily-use situation.

We're happy we decided to switch to MYP, hopefully it will come sooner than later. We'll see if we still want to switch when the MYLR7 arrives sometime in the very distant future.

Yeah I actually just purchased the 18 inch tsportline, hope they don't look too small just wanted a smoother ride
You will have to let me know how that works. I think I will wear the stock tires till I need new ones and if I don’t get a lot of miles from them, change the wheels at that time. BTW, even my wife can’t tell much difference between the ride with the 21s and our old Ford Fusion hybrid plug in.

I've been lurking in this site for a bit without creating an account. But I just created one because I've been VIN'd!

OD: May 16 - MYLR7, White/White, 20", No FSD

EDD stayed steady at Nov 22 - Jan 23

July 26th, got a two week August 5th - August 19th, a trade in text and call.

July 31st, EDD went back to Nov 22 - Jan 23

August 1st, changed reservation to MYP.

August 2nd, just past midnight VIN assigned and 4 day window of August 14th - 18th.

Reactions: Bridge and walex19
We switched because we couldn't stand the wait. Even though we really wanted the third row with kids.

Original: MYLR7 MSM/white no FSD no Tow

OD - 5/7
EDD1 - Oct-Dec
EDD2 - 12/8-2/2

7/15 Changed to MYP black/white

EDD3 - Jan-April 2023
EDD4 - 8/16 - 9/20
EDD5 - 8/1 - 8/15
EDD6 - 8/3 - 8/14

Now just waiting on VIN....

When we changed original order to MYP on 7/15 we also ordered a second car: MYLR7 black/white no FSD no Tow

OD - 7/15
EDD1 - Jan - April 2023
EDD2 - 3/2 - 4/27
So why don't you keep the 1st reservation as the 7 seater since your EDD is 12/22-2/23 and then make your 2nd reservation the MYP? With July orders, the MYP estimate is Sept-Oct, so it's only a 1-2 month longer wait then your 1st reservation, but you would also get the 7 seater quicker than your 2nd reservation. Also look at the costs because I think changing your 2nd reservation to MYP would be better financially if I'm remembering the prices from May correctly. I hope that makes sense!

So why don't you keep the 1st reservation as the 7 seater since your EDD is 12/22-2/23 and then make your 2nd reservation the MYP? With July orders, the MYP estimate is Sept-Oct, so it's only a 1-2 month longer wait then your 1st reservation, but you would also get the 7 seater quicker than your 2nd reservation. Also look at the costs because I think changing your 2nd reservation to MYP would be better financially if I'm remembering the prices from May correctly. I hope that makes sense!
Yeah, the difference used to be 5k between the 2 and is now 4 (I think). But I think that had changed BEFORE May so it might not be relevant. As far as wait time is concerned, I also agree with not switching (or switching back) and then just ordering the MYP outright.

Thanks to many contributors sharing EDD info, I switched from MYLR to MYP, hoping to shorten the EDD.
And it worked for me as well!!

01/25 - Original order date. MYLR (MSM/Black, Tow, no FSD)
EDD was moving back and forth in between August 2022 - Jan 2023
EDD on 08/04: Nov. 27 - Jan. 22

08/04 - "Edit Design" to MYP (MSM/Black, Tow, no Enhanced Autopilot, no FSD)
EDD on 08/05: 08/07 - 08/11, VIN assigned.
08/05: Delivery date scheduled

Price difference from MYLR to MYP: $5K
Area: North-West California

Thanks to many contributors sharing EDD info, I switched from MYLR to MYP, hoping to shorten the EDD.
And it worked for me as well!!

01/25 - Original order date. MYLR (MSM/Black, Tow, no FSD)
EDD was moving back and forth in between August 2022 - Jan 2023
EDD on 08/04: Nov. 27 - Jan. 22

08/04 - "Edit Design" to MYP (MSM/Black, Tow, no Enhanced Autopilot, no FSD)
EDD on 08/05: 08/07 - 08/11, VIN assigned.
08/05: Delivery date scheduled

Price difference from MYLR to MYP: $5K
Area: North-West California
And if you have a trade, you will get some of that back since prices are dropping on used cars now.

And another note. When we test drove the M3LR and MYLR, I wasn’t as impressed with the drive of the MYLR as I was with the M3LR. Having switched to the MYP, it appears to be much more fun to drive then the MYLR seemed to be (And I am by no means a speed demon). This is something that those who test drove both also seem to saying as well.

one question I do have is I was wondering if the motors themselves are different and if they are, does anyone know the specifics?

I changed because my car crapped out and forced my hand lol. I was paying $800/month for a rental when I realized, I could be putting this $$ into a car! It was only a $3k jump for me as I already chose black paint with inductions so it was a no brainer, I only wish I switched before deciding to throw $1k at a rental 😔

I too was discouraged by the SA against the MYP because my area has a lot of potholes, but I’m generally pretty careful and now that I know I can switch out the tires I feel a little more at ease.

MYP | Black/Black | No Tow | No EAP/FSD | South NJ
OD: 5/19 | 7/28 Upgraded to MYP
EDD1: 11/17 - 1/12 | EDD2: 8/13 - 8/24
No VIN assigned yet

I changed because my car crapped out and forced my hand lol. I was paying $800/month for a rental when I realized, I could be putting this $$ into a car! It was only a $3k jump for me as I already chose black paint with inductions so it was a no brainer, I only wish I switched before deciding to throw $1k at a rental 😔

I too was discouraged by the SA against the MYP because my area has a lot of potholes, but I’m generally pretty careful and now that I know I can switch out the tires I feel a little more at ease.

MYP | Black/Black | No Tow | No EAP/FSD | South NJ
OD: 5/19 | 7/28 Upgraded to MYP
EDD1: 11/17 - 1/12 | EDD2: 8/13 - 8/24
No VIN assigned yet
Update, VIN assigned this morning, 520xxx

New EDD: Aug 26 - Aug 30

Reactions: OH_WATT
I have the need...the need for speed.

Nah but seriously, I switched only to get the car sooner, as my family has been planning a road trip at the end of October, and my wife's current lease, will put us above & beyond the yearly mileage allowance, which would extrapolate more each month after.

MYLR MYP | Black | Black | No Tow | No FSD | EAP | No Trade-In | Cash --> Financed

OD: 2/5/2022
EDD 1: 6/14 - 7/12
EDD 2: 8/14 - 9/25
EDD 3: 10/15 - 10/28

7/16- Upgraded MYP + EAP
7/18- Trade-In Text

EDD 4: 8/1 - 8/15
EDD 5: 8/15 - 8/29

8/23- 2nd Trade-In Text

EDD 6: 9/1 - 9/15
EDD 7: 9/14 - 9/28

I honestly don't believe me switching to the Performance, actually saved me time.

I also thought at the EDD 6 that it would be any day to receive my VIN, so I prematurely applied for Tesla Financing on 8/11 and was approved same-day, at this rate looks like I'm gonna need to re-apply and get a 2nd hard credit pull.