Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP and AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone's situation is going to be different. For me, I went with LR with IW because I like the look better. I'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber spoiler, I like the look of the car better without it. 4.8 seconds to 60 is more than I need (although I'll happily pay for an upgrade if/when one is offered). As for the PUP, I don't think the lowering (although slight) combined with the harsher ride is worth it for my needs, and I'm not planning on tracking it so the bigger breaks aren't really necessary. The Überturbine wheels I really don't think look very good in pictures especially with the MSM (but I admit I haven't seen them in person yet). In summary I made my decision primarily based on looks and comfort combined with knowing I'd be happy with the acceleration mark. And at the moment, despite being willing to pay for a performance upgrade, have no regrets with my purchase.

Everyone's situation is going to be different. For me, I went with LR with IW because I like the look better. I'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber spoiler, I like the look of the car better without it. 4.8 seconds to 60 is more than I need (although I'll happily pay for an upgrade if/when one is offered). As for the PUP, I don't think the lowering (although slight) combined with the harsher ride is worth it for my needs, and I'm not planning on tracking it so the bigger breaks aren't really necessary. The Überturbine wheels I really don't think look very good in pictures especially with the MSM (but I admit I haven't seen them in person yet). In summary I made my decision primarily based on looks and comfort combined with knowing I'd be happy with the acceleration mark. And at the moment, despite being willing to pay for a performance upgrade, have no regrets with my purchase.

Got it. Did you purchase FSD? Upgraded from M3? Please let me know.

I went from a bmw M4 to the performance model y. I think the ride is smoother even on the bigger rims and quieter inside too. Keep in mind the Bmw was stiff already and rode harsh so the improvement is compared to that. I would have regretted not getting the faster option and have floored it many times already. Is it worth it is a matter of opinion nobody can answer that but you.

I went for full self driving but I dont think it's worth 7k. Basically the only thing I've done that I couldn't is automatically change lanes. I think right now I paid 7k for a lane changing software upgrade. Also I dont trust the car on anything but highways and well marked straight roads. A curvy road is white knuckle "driving" and seems a long way from ready to feel like a human driver. I've taken over multiple times as the car goes into a 15 mph turn at 40. Once it just braked in a straight line mid corner because it realized oh s**t were going too fast. Also feel like it's going to get me rear ended by slowing abruptly where a human driver wouldn't.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Got it. Did you purchase FSD? Upgraded from M3? Please let me know.

I did go with FSD. I figured I’d rather pay for it now and get the extra features it enables. Plus we’re almost at the point where it will work for traffic lights and stop signs. That being said, I enjoy driving and don’t plan on using it very often. But when stuck in traffic or on longer trips it can reduce the stress of the situation. And I love technology.

I originally ordered an LR AWD with the inductions, but changed to Performance because I want the acceleration. I ordered FSD. I am currently monitoring the new self-drive info coming out. If that goes on-line, the FSD will probably go up in price, so I'm locked in. But if the FSD price remains $7K, I will drop it before I get my VIN so my financing will be less that $7K! I'll buy it before I have to go the 500 miles back home!!!

This sh!t is killing me!

I got nearly the whole ball of wax, FSD, AWD, Performance, but without the upgrade. I had never driven a Tesla before so can’t say if is better or worse than other models. However, I was blown away with not only the acceleration, but how solid it felt in hugging the road while going stupid fast stupid quickly. I believe that is due to the AWD. I was also really impressed with the autosteering. We live in the country and have a 3 mile somewhat winding road (35 mph). MY does really well except one curve where it disengages. Agree with those above, $7k for auto lane changing and impressing friends with summoning is steep. TBD if it turns out to cost effective in the future if FSD becomes a reality. I was able to afford the extras it so have no regrets. I bought a Lexus ten years ago and always regretted not getting AWD; I didn’t want to make the same mistake again.

I got nearly the whole ball of wax, FSD, AWD, Performance, but without the upgrade. I had never driven a Tesla before so can’t say if is better or worse than other models. However, I was blown away with not only the acceleration, but how solid it felt in hugging the road while going stupid fast stupid quickly. I believe that is due to the AWD. I was also really impressed with the autosteering. We live in the country and have a 3 mile somewhat winding road (35 mph). MY does really well except one curve where it disengages. Agree with those above, $7k for auto lane changing and impressing friends with summoning is steep. TBD if it turns out to cost effective in the future if FSD becomes a reality. I was able to afford the extras it so have no regrets. I bought a Lexus ten years ago and always regretted not getting AWD; I didn’t want to make the same mistake again.

The AWD doesn't hurt, but I think that most of that road hugging comes from the batteries pulling the center of gravity very low. It's even lower on a Model 3, of course.

I’ve put 700 miles on my Performance Model Y (with the larger 21” wheels) so far and it’s averaging just a bit worse than our AWD M3, and better than our performance Model 3, which is freaking amazing. It’s early days, but so far my car is performing extremely well, with excellent ride and handling and best of all it appears to deliver the larger size and cargo capacity with very minimal range or performance loss compared to the Model 3.

I currently have the m3p- looking to upgrade to MY. Range is the issue and stuck between MYP or AWD.

The ranges listed on the website are 315 and 316 for the MYP and Long Range Model Y. Difference is 0.3%.

The car you drive now (if purchased today) is listed at 322 miles which is 2% more than the Y.

Looks like you do not have a problem, or I am missing something.