Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - new off inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a model YP for my wife yesterday and it turns out one with the exact specs was in the inventory section. I have bought all 3 of my existing Teslas the normal way (build, delivery etc). This one was available in the state next to me and says “in transit”

Two quick questions: 1) why would it be available and in transit? I assume most would be available in inventory after someone rejected it?

2) they gave me a 2,000 price reduction for buying it off inventory versus building it (basically making the color upgrade free) - any issues anyone has had in a similar situation?

Attachments

• IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 184
1) why would it be available and in transit?
I assume that they don't want to accumulate all the cars in one single place so it's a good idea to transport them scattered all over the US whether there's a buyer in a vacant place or not.

I assume most would be available in inventory after someone rejected it?
Sounds right to me.
2) they gave me a 2,000 price reduction for buying it off inventory versus building it (basically making the color upgrade free) - any issues anyone has had in a similar situation?
I think most are fine just the same way as you do with a customized order. There's a discount for a reason. Otherwise, the price would be the same as a customized order.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gpa9504 and Kairide
Thanks very much for the response.
I assume that they don't want to accumulate all the cars in one single place so it's a good idea to transport them scattered all over the US whether there's a buyer in a vacant place or not.

Sounds right to me.

I think most are fine just the same way as you do with a customized order. There's a discount for a reason. Otherwise, the price would be the same as a customized order.

Sounds right to me.

Terrible advice. I’ve bought 2 Teslas via custom order/build. The Model 3 RWD I just picked up in August was via inventory with over $2k off. No issues at all and took delivery <24 hours after ordering.
Inventory cars are not always rejected cars. Tesla build in batches so they may have had one particular batch with more made than sold. So they get dispersed to a showroom to sell. You get a discount since they’re already built and Tesla doesn’t want them just sitting there taking up space. Supply has been greater than demand lately for Tesla.
If you can find an inventory Tesla at a discount, take it. Chances are your “custom build” may just be that inventory model anyways if it matches your specs, just at full price.

In case you haven't heard, there are many threads complaining about new customized order cars from fit-finish to other problems.

Whether you custom order or do inventory, most are fine but both can still have problems.
I’ve owned multiple Teslas, I’m well aware of the issues. Im also aware of the bias forums tend to portray since people only report when there’s issues.
But that’s besides the point. The OP started this thread asking about buying an inventory vs custom order.
Your response about the inventory mostly being from rejects is incorrect.

I’ve owned multiple Teslas, I’m well aware of the issues. Im also aware of the bias forums tend to portray since people only report when there’s issues.
But that’s besides the point. The OP started this thread asking about buying an inventory vs custom order.
Your response about the inventory mostly being from rejects is incorrect.
Although "rejects" is one among many reasons for "inventory" listing, However, I have never mentioned that word in this thread. Edit: OK I agreed with OP about "rejects". I should have clarify that is just 1 among other reasons.

It sounds like you stereotype "rejects" as bad. On the contrary, some are unable to finance at the last minute, some change their mind and switch to another model... so all these rejects are not because of defects.

The main point is whether custom or inventory, most are fine, but the risk for imperfections can still happen in both.

Last edited:
Although "rejects" is one among many reasons for "inventory" listing, However, I have never mentioned that word in this thread. Edit: OK I agreed with OP about "rejects". I should have clarify that is just 1 among other reasons.

It sounds like you stereotype "rejects" as bad. On the contrary, some are unable to finance at the last minute, some change their mind and switch to another model... so all these rejects are not because of defects.

The main point is whether custom or inventory, most are fine, but the risk for imperfections can still happen in both.

Those would not be considered "rejects" nor does Tesla classify them as "rejects". Are you sore because you didn't get a discount when you bought your Tesla?

My red Y I picked last week was from inventory and was $5K off of list. So far it has been perfect.

Reactions: wildguess
I just purchased a model YP for my wife yesterday and it turns out one with the exact specs was in the inventory section. I have bought all 3 of my existing Teslas the normal way (build, delivery etc). This one was available in the state next to me and says “in transit”

Two quick questions: 1) why would it be available and in transit? I assume most would be available in inventory after someone rejected it?

I bought the red 5 seater Y off of inventory 2 weeks ago.

So far the car has been perfect. I had the same concerns as you, wondering why Tesla was discounting cars but my understanding is that the cars in inventory are generally cars that have been ordered but cancelled during the build process by the purchaser. How many in inventory were refused by the customer at deliver? Don't know. I would hope if there were any of these refused by the customer at delivery for a defect that the defects were addressed.

Vehicles that show available for delivery, can be reject vehicles that the SC repaired. They can also be ordered vehicles that the buyer backed out of and forfeited their $250 deposit. They can also be demos, but those are clearly listed as such. All of these add up to the majority of the "in stock" units. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. Just check them over really well, as you would with any new Tesla.

They are now making more cars than they have orders for. As already said, they make cars in batches as they only have a handful of combinations. They know it will match someone’s order or someone will buy it so they just build it and send it out even if it wasn’t “pre-ordered”.

There’s always a chance an inventory car was a rejected car or damaged car or someone otherwise cancelled their order. But since it says its still “in transit” then it’s probably still on a train or truck and has never even been looked at by a buyer yet in order to reject it.

Those would not be considered "rejects" nor does Tesla classify them as "rejects".
If a customer REFUSED to take the car for any reason, Tesla would not classify that as a reject, refused, failed delivery... It's classified as "New Inventory."
Are you sore because you didn't get a discount when you bought your Tesla?
That has nothing to do with the thread. The thread wants to clarify what "New Inventory" means.
My red Y I picked last week was from inventory and was $5K off of list. So far it has been perfect.
No doubt.

Those would not be considered "rejects" nor does Tesla classify them as "rejects". Are you sore because you didn't get a discount when you bought your Tesla?

Not sore. Just don't be surprised from the inventory. One posted just now. Originally with discount but by the time accepting it, it's normal price with a list of imperfections with 12 miles on odometer:

Thread 'Advice on Accepting or Rejecting Model X' Advice on Accepting or Rejecting Model X

Last edited:

I was going to build and order last week. Found a couple discounted one state away. Called dealer and was told one had a build date the day before my call and not delivered. The other would be at dealer in 6 days later than first and Wasn’t built yet. Either way they insisted on me taking possession before quarter end. Can’t remember exact discount but I think close to 2k is what I remember?

If a customer REFUSED to take the car for any reason, Tesla would not classify that as a reject, refused, failed delivery... It's classified as "New Inventory."

That has nothing to do with the thread. The thread wants to clarify what "New Inventory" means.

No doubt.

That's why it's important to look at the details of the car in inventory. Make sure it says
  1. New Vehicle
  2. In Production