Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Range 273??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP: no offense but it really does look like you did no research prior to your purchase.

Range loss / consumption rate is as described above. Speed, wind, and elevation changes are very important, as does how smoothly you drive. EPA ratings IIRC are for 57 mph travel, not 75. All the same as gas cars, but less notable.
Charging rate similarly has many details:
1) while mph charge rate is listed for convenience, that isn't a precise measurement - its a calculated value. The precise measurement is in kW.
2) charging rate varies based upon 2 fundamental factors You gain the lessor of these two value: rate the charging system can supply electricity, and the rate your EV/battery can accept electricity.

If the apparatus which charges your car is too cold, it slows the process down. If its too hot, it slows the process down. If you're sharing supply with another vehicle, it slows the process down. If the apparatus itself has less electrical supply than by design, it slows the process down

If your battery is too cold, it slows the process down. If your battery is too cold, it slows the process down. If your connection is incomplete or dirty, it slows the process down. If your battery is more than ~ 50% full, the process is slowed down. If your battery is degraded (and most of the time this is the least important factor) it slows the process down.

So, when charging rate is important, one wants to charge their EV:
when the apparatus is neither hot nor cold
when the car/battery is neither hot nor cold
when the battery is < 50% full
when the battery has not degraded significantly
on equipment with the highest possible energy transfer rate.

How? There are many other posts, but the one factor which is completely foreign to a new EV owner: if the car has been sitting idle on a cold, windy night, the battery will be cold (unless you heat it) and cannot accept electricity at a high rate. Charge the car before you put it away for the night.

I have 2 friends with new MY long range.
They are disappointed in range they have.
2 stops are must in cold weather for 300 miles trip.
Plus charge at their destination.
My friends are not experts but are telling me they are not going to use Tesla for long trips with their kids.
Driving around city is fine and fun.
That`s why i`m waiting for new battery, at least 380 miles of range so i can say i spent $60k on car i can use for long road trips.
Tesla is still leading car market when it comes to battery technology, but still not enough to justify $60k spent

I concur with your friend.
I live in Texas and just came back from a road trip of 240 miles one way with MY. With 326 miles rated range and mild weather (60-70F), I thought I could manage the trip w/o supercharging. But I immediately found that even with very careful driving, I mean top at 70mph, mild acceleration, 90% highways, I easily got an energy consumption of 300+wh/mile. It almost feel embarrassing to drive at 65-70mph at 75mph speed limit highway.
Some background: there are only two persons (330lbs) in the car and some stuff for one night camping (at most additional 100lbs). The road is not perfectly flat, but not hilly at all. I had to stop for one supercharging each way before getting to the destination and back home. I am very disappointed with this misleading 326 mile range. I plan to drive it to Big Bend, now I am a little hesitant.

I had a 2019 M3 before trading it on for MY which I drove it to work at 120 miles round trip. The trip is 80% highway which I drive at 70-72mph and 20% local. I typically got 220wh/mile and always beat the estimate by 3-5miles (using 50 displayed miles for 55 actual miles) each way.

I understand the MY is heavier and bigger, but it more realistically should be rated at ~280 miles even with no-aggressive driving. Now I am so much missing my M3.

I have 2 friends with new MY long range.
They are disappointed in range they have.
2 stops are must in cold weather for 300 miles trip.
Plus charge at their destination.
My friends are not experts but are telling me they are not going to use Tesla for long trips with their kids.
Driving around city is fine and fun.
That`s why i`m waiting for new battery, at least 380 miles of range so i can say i spent $60k on car i can use for long road trips.
Tesla is still leading car market when it comes to battery technology, but still not enough to justify $60k spent

I charged to 308 mile to start. The temp is 45-55F. I did my first leg of 184 mile to a supercharger with 83 mile left. So your number is close to what I saw with my trip yesterday/today

Everyone says I didn't do my research.. I'm pretty damn certain not many knew you couldn't do a 175 mile trip in 40 degree weather on a "full charge". If you say you did, I bet you're lying :)

This is not true and I don’t understand why people keep saying this. It clearly states in the manual

“The displayed range may decrease faster than the actual distance driven. When fully charged, the driving range displayed in Tesla vehicles is based on EPA certification and does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions. To view estimated range based on energy consumption, open the Energy app to display the graph.”
Amazing how much info is there if folks just read the manual!

Reactions: coconutboy84
Everyone says I didn't do my research.. I'm pretty damn certain not many knew you couldn't do a 175 mile trip in 40 degree weather on a "full charge". If you say you did, I bet you're lying :)
There are lots of threads here with similar anecdotal data as yours. And I’m not giving you a link because you can search just as well as I can. And BTW, the rating given the MY is NOT Tesla’s rating but the EPA’s. So write to them to complain.

Actually I did expect a significant drop off in range during the winters. My regular "long" trip is 70 miles each way. I decided I NEEDED a range of 300+ miles to do that trip in the winter. I estimated about 40% loss in the winter. A car rated at 250 miles, the would leave roughly 150 miles in winter. Maybe I could make the 140 mile round trip, but any weather, wind, snow, traffic accident, cabin heat I'd want, etc... it was too close for me. At 300 mile range - 40% would be 180 miles. A slightly better cushion.

On top of that, I saw this chart (it's "only a model 3" so please forgive me), which was informative and a bit eye opening. Notice the range decrease from traveling at 65 mph or 75 mph. The Y being bigger and heavier may be worse.
As you can tell from my profile pic, going up hill consumes a lot of energy. Downhills are much better for range. :)

Model3_range_speed.png

Since I only got my baby in June, this will be the first winter, I get to learn how close my estimate was. I've already noticed the regen limited issue. One thing I didn't factor in is not charging to 100% most of the time. I still find it surprising/interesting that I may have to charge to 95 or 100% to do my 140 mile round trip in the winter. Plus cabin heat... I could shut it off and drive my gloves but that is not what I wanted. I will just learn to live with my new toy. It's sort of like owning a cat. You may think you are the "master", but deep down, we all know the truth.

now you are just being disingenuous, you clearly state 4-5 mph over 65 (and incline?) We also don't know how you actually drove. Do you do passing often? punch it to pass slow cars? was it AP all the way at 70mph?

Our point was that EPA range is not a static number. Even EPA states that. This is true for ICE and EV. EV subjected to colder temp.

So what is your point you are trying to make here? That your vehicle's battery pack is defected? If you believe so strongly, then take it up with Tesla Service or move on from Tesla. I see bunch of members here trying to be helpful and educate but you seemly just want to make some point. Yes, Tesla might not be ideal for 300miles road trip and will require frequent recharge at stations along the way. But you knew that right?

Did you look at the route on ABRP or other tool to calculate if you would need to charge? If you were planning to run at 75 mph, I bet it would have told you when you were likely to need a charge, and likely would have recommended a charge stop.

Did you look at the trip power graph during the drive? Did it predict you would make it, then you fell below the target line to make it?

Realistically, if you have a 275 mile range, you won't expect to go 275 miles between charge. Not even in an ICE will you plan to pull into a gas station on E.

In 40 degree weather, were you running the heater at all? Any drain on electric will reduce range, so not only the colder weather impacting the battery, but also other items using power.

While I understand it may be disappointing to have to charge on a 175 mile trip, it should not be a complete surprise if you checked available resources prior to the trip.

Did you look at the route on ABRP or other tool to calculate if you would need to charge? If you were planning to run at 75 mph, I bet it would have told you when you were likely to need a charge, and likely would have recommended a charge stop.

Did you look at the trip power graph during the drive? Did it predict you would make it, then you fell below the target line to make it?

Realistically, if you have a 275 mile range, you won't expect to go 275 miles between charge. Not even in an ICE will you plan to pull into a gas station on E.

In 40 degree weather, were you running the heater at all? Any drain on electric will reduce range, so not only the colder weather impacting the battery, but also other items using power.

While I understand it may be disappointing to have to charge on a 175 mile trip, it should not be a complete surprise if you checked available resources prior to the trip.
I didn't think 275 miles was 100% accurate, I sure as hell thought 175 miles wouldn't be an issue.. Also, 40 degrees in IL isn't that cold.. I'm very concerned what it will be like under 10 degrees.. All in all it was a complete fail, from going only 160 miles on a "full" charge that was 300+ plus orignally, and now is down to 274 which I still don't know why since i've gotten 2 different answers on that.. To the slow supercharging speed that still doesn't make any sense since after driving 2 hours i'm sure the battery was preconditioned enough to go at max speed. No idea how anyone would ever make a 15+ hour trip in these if it was 40 degrees or less.. It would literally tack on 4+ hours i'm sure.