Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP slid while parked on a snow-covered driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, don't park on snow covered driveways.
That sounds like a Tesla service center solution.

When one software update killed my left pillar camera, their solution was: "Change your schedule so you go to town (south) in the afternoon and go home (north) in the morning - or wait for a cloudy day".

When I objected at Tesla raising my insurance $20 / month because my safety score was dinged for waiting in line at Burger King (following to close) their solution was "Find another place to eat."

All seasons aren't snow tires. Its literally like ice skating. Dont ever use all seasons on snow or ice. You're just asking to crash, or in this case slide down parked inclines.
Plus not enough rubber to plant the tires to the snow covered surface, the thin rubber bass do not provide enough traction as the wide tire flatter vs oblong or tire flex involved. IT’s recommended to have a dedicated snow tire for colder months.

Anybody else is having this problem? Doesn't happen on my ICE but happened twice to my MYP already. I have 20" pilot sport all season 4 tires that only had like 6k miles on them. Is there a way to prevent this?
Cool. That happened to me the other day. Our driveway is on a slight incline and was covered with ice. When I put it in ‘Park’ it started to slide down the driveway a bit. Like others have mentioned, you might want to consider dedicated snow tires or chock it if you need to park it under these conditions.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Cool. That happened to me the other day. Our driveway is on a slight incline and was covered with ice. When I put it in ‘Park’ it started to slide down the driveway a bit. Like others have mentioned, you might want to consider dedicated snow tires or chock it if you need to park it under these conditions.
The ice car with bigger & wider tires will slip also. With out tire fl X, no other way to bite the surface. I plan to pick up some after market rims and replace them for winter tires . You really need dedicated winter tires below 40 degrees or your driving on hockey pucks on summer tires and all season tires are master of none.

I’m waiting on a Model Y LR with 19” all-season tires. Since my driveway is sloped, I have to park on a slope (though a gentle one at the top of the driveway). When it snows, is this slipping issue likely to occur? If so, are there specific wheel chocks you would recommend to prevent it?

I’m waiting on a Model Y LR with 19” all-season tires. Since my driveway is sloped, I have to park on a slope (though a gentle one at the top of the driveway). When it snows, is this slipping issue likely to occur? If so, are there specific wheel chocks you would recommend to prevent it?
Yes, it is likely to occur. Slipping while parked on a slope may be less of an issue with winter tires. Clean any snow or ice and then apply an ice melt product, sand or even cat litter before parking on a sloped driveway or parking space in winter.

Anybody else is having this problem? Doesn't happen on my ICE but happened twice to my MYP already. I have 20" pilot sport all season 4 tires that only had like 6k miles on them. Is there a way to prevent this?
Tips for Driving Your Tesla in the Snow and Ice | PimpMyEv

Right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this issue, but I thought it occurs when the rear wheels slide on the snow/ice despite the parking brake being on. So I thought that meant the issue was the rear wheels not having sufficient traction to not slide?
The rear wheels would slide because the e-brake is applied to the rear wheels locking the wheels in place. The front wheels are free to slide and/or roll as there is no front e-brake or automatic transmission as in a FWD ICE vehicle. Compared to a FWD ICE vehicle shifted into Park and with the parking brake applied the Tesla Model 3/Y has half the number of locked in place wheels and less fixed contact footprint to prevent sliding or rolling.

The Y is heavier than the 3 by ~500 lbs. The effect of weight of either vehicle on a layer of snow trapped beneath the wheels would compress, turn the snow into ice. The resulting ice would have a lower coefficient of friction than the snow. I am not aware of any tests that have been performed on the Tesla Model Y that compare using wheel chocks on the rear wheels only versus front and rear wheels. Chocking all four wheels would seem to be the best option. Wheel chocks may not offer much grip on snow and ice. Winter tires might help as the softer rubber compound is designed for enhanced grip in lower temperatures, snow and ice. Depending on the conditions even with winter tires the Tesla Model Y might slide when parked on an incline covered with snow and ice. Studded winter tires would probably perform better as would tire chains.

The rear wheels would slide because the e-brake is applied to the rear wheels locking the wheels in place. The front wheels are free to slide and/or roll as there is no front e-brake or automatic transmission as in a FWD ICE vehicle. Compared to a FWD ICE vehicle shifted into Park and with the parking brake applied the Tesla Model 3/Y has half the number of locked in place wheels and less fixed contact footprint to prevent sliding or rolling.

The Y is heavier than the 3 by ~500 lbs. The effect of weight of either vehicle on a layer of snow trapped beneath the wheels would compress, turn the snow into ice. The resulting ice would have a lower coefficient of friction than the snow. I am not aware of any tests that have been performed on the Tesla Model Y that compare using wheel chocks on the rear wheels only versus front and rear wheels. Chocking all four wheels would seem to be the best option. Wheel chocks may not offer much grip on snow and ice. Winter tires might help as the softer rubber compound is designed for enhanced grip in lower temperatures, snow and ice. Depending on the conditions even with winter tires the Tesla Model Y might slide when parked on an incline covered with snow and ice. Studded winter tires would probably perform better as would tire chains.
Thanks for the detailed response. So it sounds like my best options are to either get snow tires or do a really good job cleaning the area of snow where I will park my car?

Reactions: jcanoe