Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ WiFi Garage Opener - No Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one made it work? I cant successfully create myq shortcut to open garage with Apple watch. Anyone?
I have the MyQ bridge that integrates the garage door with HomeKit. You can then create a location-aware automation action to open the garage door when you're approaching the house. You can also use Siri and / or Shortcuts to open/close.

As with straight MyQ, the HomeKit integration is stateful which means that my approaching the house won't close the door if it's already open. I've already gotten in enough trouble when I accidentally closed the garage door while the hatch on my wife's car was open. Spending $300 to potentially have my car repeat that error isn't an expense I need right now. :)

I think you need this too for homekit: LiftMaster MYQ 819LMB MyQ Home Bridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RQVSY7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_G787WXA1YGXGYCXBNCMF

You can also setup home assistant software and just use the internet bridge, but it can be a bit flaky.

I have the previous version of this device. My opener has built-in MyQ support. As for the flaky part, I can't recall any issues but YMMV.
The flakiness is without the homekit device. Without it, home assistant can still be configured to use the MyQ unofficial API, but it breaks from time to time.

Although it has been at least a month since the last major breakage, AFAIK.

Reactions: mrwug
OK... now everyone with MyQ please install the update, connect to your garage door, and let us know how it works. I am considering a garage door opener upgrade if it works well.
The MyQ Tesla integration will be available as a subscription ($179 for 5 years. This is just over half the current $350 Tesla charges for Homelink.) I have not read that there is a free 30 day trial for the MyQ integration. The MyQ Tesla integration uses WiFi, I have not seen any information on the effective range.

The MyQ Tesla integration will be available as a subscription ($179 for 5 years. This is just over half the current $350 Tesla charges for Homelink.) I have not read that there is a free 30 day trial for the MyQ integration. The MyQ Tesla integration uses WiFi, I have not seen any information on the effective range.
Yeah, I read the highlights, and if it integrates well with the Tesla, I would grudgingly pay for their subscription. My main use case would be the ability to automatically open. Currently, that is not viable for my HomeLink, since the door is frequently already open. That, and it would be an excuse to upgrade my garage door and add more tech to my world.

Range is effectively infinite, since it works by both the car and the opener connecting to the internet. To open, I'd expect it to work very similarly to Homelink.

To close, it will flash the light and beep loudly enough to wake up everyone on the street for ~10 seconds before closing.

Its very likely that Homelink will still be a better solution overall.

I probably won't pay either. I can just hit open on my phone or just push the button on my garage door opener.

I'm not sure who is charging the $179. Is it Tesla or chamberlain? Why the charge for this?
I read a while ago that Chamberlain has a $1/month subscription fee for 3rd party apps that use its API. That makes sense. So, this got inflated to $3/month for Tesla integration.

If the subscription is that high, I may just go back to having a an extra phone mounted right below as an extension of the main screen with useful apps like MYq on it to push. my OCD just hated that the myq app doesn't support landscape mode. 1st world problems hahaha

I probably won't pay either. I can just hit open on my phone or just push the button on my garage door opener.

I'm not sure who is charging the $179. Is it Tesla or chamberlain? Why the charge for this?

$179 or use the phone app? I'll keep my $179 and use my phone instead of the car's screen
I have Homelink which never worked (I have an old garage opener that for some reason has never been compatible with any of my Homelink optioned cars) and already use MyQ (mainly for the door sensor so I can check to see if I closed the door without driving back home).

I agree that I can't see paying for MyQ when it is available on your phone for free. Also, while MyQ is great when it works which is most of the time, it is really annoying when it doesn't. It is frustrating when you get go to close the door with MyQ, watch the minute or so beeping lightshow warning before the door shuts, watch the door not shut, and finally go back to your app and try again and again until it locks up (which on the admittedly very few times when the closing cycle doesn't work, happens all the time).

Old clicker is still the ugly low tech but reliable way to go.

We just keep the clicker that came with the garage sitting in the driver's side door pocket. It takes one second to bend over and click the button to open or close, with no extra lights or beeping (though you might be able to defeat those, such as
) and no need to mess with my phone to use the MyQ app [I do use it on occasion, but when I'm on foot with no clicker beside me].

Honestly sometimes the simplest (and free*) solution is the best. And the remote is not at all visible from outside the vehicle (to attract any unwanted attention from would-be thieves.

*well, no extra purchase or subscription cost beyond what we paid for the opener, other than maybe a battery every x years (3.5 and counting on the original so far).