Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyTesla phone app - can't connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone app has always worked ... Until tonight. Now, the circle keeps spinning with a message that says "Waking car" along with a recommendation that I check "Always Connected." I've never seen any of this before. It has always just given me the spinning circle for a few seconds and then connected.

Anybody know now what's happening or how to fix this?

My phone app has always worked ... Until tonight. Now, the circle keeps spinning with a message that says "Waking car" along with a recommendation that I check "Always Connected." I've never seen any of this before. It has always just given me the spinning circle for a few seconds and then connected.

The usual reason is that the Tesla servers are down.

Mine's been down for 2-3 days.
Went to car, enabled "Always connected" ... rebooted center screen, left screen ... still dead.
Plan to ask service Monday what the problem is?

Candidly, I find with each firmware release, bugs increase, reliability goes down ... not impressed ATM.

I had the same issue for 2 days of so. Then I rebooted the center screen and center dash. I also closed the Tesla App on my phone.

And then I was able to connect the car to the phone App.

I'm getting this too! Car is out for cosmetic service at detailer I've never used before, and (being paranoid to begin with), I can't help checking to see that ferris bueller is not playing out. I get spinning wheel, "waking car", and admonition to turn on "always connected" - even though it IS turned on. Last night this occurred for 2 hours... then I finally connected and saw car exactly where it is supposed to be with exactly expected miles. :smile:No joyride!

Again this morning... can't connect, same symptoms. I've previously experienced "cannot connect" message, which I suspect means Tesla servers down. I hypothesize this is different: I have reached Tesla servers, and they are trying to contact car and cannot. So, they're sending it pings assuming it is sleeping, waiting for it to wake up, and giving me appropriate message. Somewhere in the process, an "awake" car is appearing "asleep" to Tesla servers. I suspect may be an issue of bad 3G connectivity were car is located. Just my guess.

The first thing Tesla needs to do is put some better error messages in the app. When it can't connect to the car it could be a bad phone connection to the internet, the Tesla servers could be down, there could be a bad internet connection to the car, or the car could be asleep or otherwise not responding (or there could be a bug in any of the software pieces along that path). "Can't connect" gives no hint about what might be wrong.

The connection to the car is really hit-and-miss. In the past week, I've seen many instances of "can't connect", "waking car" (even though it's not sleeping), "turn on Always Connected" (even thought it's on), or just spinning. It often takes 10-15 minutes and several app restarts to do what I want to do - check on charging, turn on the heat, etc. I'm sure some of the problems are internet connections at one end or the other, but it's really not the slick user experience they were shooting for, because connection issues look like a broken app.

Add me to the list of people unable to connect. The "waking car" circle just keeps spinning. Following one suggestion, I wiped out then reloaded the app on my iPhone with no effect even though my car is set to "always connect". To make matters worse, I tried doing the same on my iPad and the app store for the iPad does not have the app anymore! :crying:

Add me to the list of people unable to connect. The "waking car" circle just keeps spinning. Following one suggestion, I wiped out then reloaded the app on my iPhone with no effect even though my car is set to "always connect". To make matters worse, I tried doing the same on my iPad and the app store for the iPad does not have the app anymore! :crying:

I'm not sure, but I think most of the app issues we see are connectivity issues, either at the phone end or the car end (not counting the cases when the Tesla servers are down!). I rarely have any issues connecting to my car when we're both on WiFi at home.

There is no iPad-specific Tesla app; just search for Tesla and pick "iPhone-only" to see and install it on an iPad.

Tesla App

Hi. The Tesla app seems to have stopped working last night. Anyone else see this? It goes straight to waking car and gives direction on how to set the car to keep connected. My energy savings is of and I haven't changed these setting so I'm thinking it's the app and it's support.

The App requires several things to work: Good Internet connection to the phone, Tesla's servers to be working, good Internet connection to the car. However, the message "waking car" with the instructions to keep connected is what you should be seeing if the car is sleeping. It sounds as if it's working correctly.

Follow-up to my previous post # 74 (should have done this earlier). A few days after the above post, I decided to reboot the main screen. It worked. Connecting has been spot-on since then and I also receive regular notifications on charging status.

I too am having problems with the app connecting/controlling the car. On some days, the app connects to the car within seconds. On other days, the circle in the middle of the screen just keeps going round'n'round. Occasionally. it gives a message about waking the car but the waking is not completed.

A few days ago, I stopped at the Tesla service place in Springfield, NJ. The tech there changed the Energy Savings setting from Always Connected to Nightly. He told me that that would help but, it hasn't.

The wi-fi signal is full strength at my cell phone. Is there a way to tell what the signal strength is at the car? Has Tesla ever said anything about the app not connecting?

I too am having problems with the app connecting/controlling the car. On some days, the app connects to the car within seconds. On other days, the circle in the middle of the screen just keeps going round'n'round. Occasionally. it gives a message about waking the car but the waking is not completed.

When it's just circling it's trying to communicate with the Tesla servers. The waking message occurs when the servers are trying to contact the car. At least that's how it appears to act. Sometimes shutting WiFi off and going through the phone company works. Turning the sleep mode off isn't going to help you if you can't talk to the Tesla servers or if they are too busy to respond.