Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyTesla phone app - can't connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that all the time. I just close the app and restart and it seems to connect. I get the waking car message when I know the car is awake: like 60 sec after plugging in to a SC. I think the app needs works here and in several other areas, like more features. But it does provide the basics pretty well and saved my butt when I couldn't find my keys one day.

I hadn't had the problem in quite a while, using the android app. I used to have the issue much more frequently. Today I experienced it with the android app, as did my wife with the iPhone app. The car was parked at home, so I believe it may have been an issue where it thought it had a wifi connection, but the connection had somehow been lost, but no 3G connection was established. I rebooted the car, a 3G connection was established, and all was well.

Every now and again, Tesla backs-up their servers or does some maintenance whatever.....

I'm going to take a wild guess that this has something to do with Tesla updating its security protocols.

I'm pretty sure this is something other than just simple maintenance or an update of security protocols that went smoothly. breser has an excellent post on debugging this in another thread. Here it is:

VisibleTesla - Page 180

I did some debugging on this. I'd left it in this broken state and finally got around to investigating. The car would always lose it's ability to be reached by VisibleTesla and the Android App when on my home Wifi. The Android App would say it was trying to wake the car but would eventually say that the car could not be reached. The car definitely had internet connectivity through my Wifi. I was able to listen to slacker, visit websites. I checked with a whatismyip site to verify that the car was going through my local network for the web browser.

I then started sniffing the network traffic between the car and my network. The car would do normal network maintenance (ARP, DHCP), clock maintenance (NTP) and would constantly sit there trying to do a DNS lookup for vpn.vn.teslamotors.com. It was getting a response from my DNS server. But it would just keep doing the lookup. Other than the previously described traffic that's all you would see the car do unless you sat in it and used the web browser or listened to slacker.

I tried a bunch of different things on my end. Moved the car to it's own public ip for the NAT. Restarted my DNS servers. Dumped various abuse filters. But nothing made it work on my network. Until I finally gave up and rebooted the center console having attempted everything on my side.

After rebooting it again connects just fine on my Wifi and everything is working normally. So I believe there is some sort of bug in Tesla's VPN implementation, possibly specific to NATs that pops up sometimes. I sent a bug report to Tesla Service. So I'm pretty confident at this point in time that my use of VisibleTesla had nothing to do with this (or if it did it was just a trigger for a bug and not deliberate throttling on the part of Tesla).

I've had this problem for a week or so: I get "Waking car..." whenever I try to connect from my iPhone to the car while the car is on WiFi at home. When it's stuck like that, both the phone and the car have working internet connections, and whenever it's on 3G, it connects fine. This morning, I deleted the WiFi setting in the car so it would connect on 3G, then the app connected fine, and just now I re-connected to WiFi, and I'm back to "Waking car".

I usually have VisibleTesla running, but the problem persists if I close it. But when it's in this state where the phone won't connect, Visible Tesla won't connect either.

I tried one more thing: Reboot the 17" in the garage, and when it came back, it connected on WiFi, and then I could connect from my phone. Then I disconnected the car from WiFi, waited 'till it connected on 3G, then re-connected on WiFi. Back to not able to connect (spinner for a while, then "Waking car...").

So it seems that I'm seeing the same issue breser described above and in the other thread, and the problem happens only when the car's on WiFi. Rebooting only fixes it until the car switches to 3G and back to WiFi.

I'm on 2.2.140. I've disabled WiFi in the car and I'll leave it that way until I get a firmware upgrade or I hear here that the issue has been fixed. The only downside is the daily nag message saying I should connect to WiFi.

You may get aeound the nag message by temporarily changing the name of your wireless network, connecting the car to that wireless, and then changing the name of your wireless back to what it was. That way the car has a wireless network registered, but it just can't connect. Works with my car, no nag message.

Hello

i am from Germany and i have the same problem.

After a reset (holding the scroll wheels), and the automatic reconnect to the WLAN, i can connect with the app.
2015-03-29 06.25.42.png

Hours later the "waking cars" screen is comming.
2015-03-26 10.24.18.png
2015-03-26 10.26.05.png

But the Tesla is still in the network.
2015-03-26 11.36.43.jpg
Fritz.jpg

We have HUGE problems in Denmark with the mobile APP. Many cars loose connection to the 3G network, and even on WIFI we cant connect to the cars. According to Tesla the problem is that the OpenVPN connection to the car cannot be established. As many others also experiences this now it seems like a global problem!

Problem started for me around March 20th. I haven't received any firmware upgrades since .179 (which I've had far longer than I've been having this issue). So I think this is probably a bug in the configuration of Tesla's VPN setup. A lot of VPNs push network routing information to the client as part of the initial connection. My best guess is they are pushing routing information that's contradictory with the 3G routing. When you switch from 3G to Wifi it doesn't properly clear the 3G routing information. A reboot of the touchscreen fixes it because the car immediately hops on the Wifi after rebooting and never makes a 3G VPN connection. However, once you leave your Wifi you hop on 3G again and then when you return home it's busted. I could probably definitively figure out what's going on if I had access to the car's networking configurations but I don't. So I'm having to make guesses based on behavior and what I can observe external from the car.

I noticed yesterday that this behavior had stopped (i.e. the mobile app was back to working on my home WiFi). Local service center just sent me an email saying that it should be resolved. They were apparently having the same problem in service centers as well.