Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyTesla phone app - can't connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is driving me crazy:cursing: Did hot reboot (two wheels), cold reboot (power shut down), delete app/reload, check/uncheck always connected/power saving, wifi very good & 3G connectivity not so good but has worked fine in the past ... nothing! Will bring in SC next chance I get.

This is driving me crazy:cursing: Did hot reboot (two wheels), cold reboot (power shut down), delete app/reload, check/uncheck always connected/power saving, wifi very good & 3G connectivity not so good but has worked fine in the past ... nothing! Will bring in SC next chance I get.
One other thing you can try if you haven't already: forget the WiFi network and re-connect to it.

Confirm reconnect technique...

One other thing you can try if you haven't already: forget the WiFi network and re-connect to it.

Have had the "can't connect" problem for several days and finally called Tesla. We tried the reboots of both car and apps (I have the apps on my desktop, my iPad and my droid). What finally did work as suggested above was going to wireless settings in Tesla and turning wi-fi off, then waiting several seconds and turning it on again to reconnect. After Tesla wi-fi reconnected, the phone app connected immediately...

Also, log out and log back in on the app. I couldn't connect to my car when it was on WiFi in the garage, although it worked on 3G. The car and the phone both had good internet connections but the app just got stuck on "waking car". I tried rebooting the 17" display, restarting the app, rebooting the WiFi base station and home router - still no luck. Then I logged out and back in on the app and now all's well.

Did your Tesla iPhone App refuse to connect this morning?

Mine did. I believe I may have received a Tesla phone app update last night. I had previously selected "Always Connected" in the Energy Saving controls in the car, and my car was connected via wifi in my garage. I tried connecting several times from within my home until the app timed out. I logged out of the app and then logged back in, rebooted the iPhone. Still no connection.

Finally, I got into the car and turned it on. After two more attempts, the iPhone app finally connected. Now it seems to log in without any problem.

Mine did. I believe I may have received a Tesla phone app update last night. I had previously selected "Always Connected" in the Energy Saving controls in the car, and my car was connected via wifi in my garage. I tried connecting several times from within my home until the app timed out. I logged out of the app and then logged back in, rebooted the iPhone. Still no connection.

Finally, I got into the car and turned it on. After two more attempts, the iPhone app finally connected. Now it seems to log in without any problem.

Yeah, mine is saying "Waking car..." but I have ALWAYS CONNECTED set under Power Management. I've tried a few times and it keeps saying "Waking car..." It doesn't appear I received a Tesla app update on my iPhone though.

Also noticed I had a problem in Slacker this morning where it hanged but I had a good 3G signal. Not sure if this is related or not. Maybe I just need to go out and reboot the car. That will likely resolve both issues.

Same thing has been happening to me all week...
856ec4946ab2fac20b03463015a40b3e.jpg

Okay, I rebooted and was able to connect once but then it starting having the same problem again. I tried multiple times and once I saw someone else's car name at the top of the screen! "Riley's P85+" or something like that! I'm guessing Tesla is having server issues.

Update: it is trying to connect again to "Reilly Tesla P85+", I have a screenshot of it. Very strange. Reilly, would you mind if I honked your horn and flashed your lights? lol jk

Reilly P85+.PNG

Last edited:
We shouldn't be seeing this when our cars are set to "always connected". IMHO, you folks are probably right that it has to do with the Tesla server being inaccessible. But then, we really should ask Tesla to put in more accurate feedback for that case. It ought to be pretty easy for the phone App software to distinguish between an unresponsive car (because it is being woken up) and an unresponsive server (for whatever reason), and to reflect that information to the app user.

Well my problem hasn't gone away yet and that's a bit strange. Starting to wonder if it's related to my use of Visible Tesla. Anyone else still having problems using the phone app to check the car?

Update: I have tried to log out and back in and even though it shows the last 6 characters of my VIN, it still shows "Reilly Tesla P85+" which is NOT my car's name.

Last edited: