Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nagshead charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OBX John,
Tried submitting for a supercharger at Kilmarlic Gold Course and it got shot down even with a restaurant on site. They weren't looking for a location out that way currently, was the answer. :-( They do have two Tesla Tesla wall chargers there now.

Every one of those restaurants you mentioned would work and likely qualify for install money. I would be happy to chat with any of the owners of the locations to give them more info.

MX Fan,
That parking lot is owned by the city and Gold Key PHR, both of which are narrow minded with a lot of red tape. Had a few meetings with Gold Key PHR and we were looking into a few of their hotels and parking lots and all had qualified for chargers AND install money and out of nowhere they didn't want to pursue it. :-/ Town Center will be well covered by the end of summer. Pembroke Mall and Lynnhaven Mall, both in Virginia Beach will both have them in the next month or two.

The Hyatt at 27th st just got some destination chargers installed. It's a self park lot that is unrestricted and only a few blocks from there. Smartmouth Brewing is also opening a location on 31st that will likely have some charging.

Reactions: OBX John and MXFan
I just spent a week in Nags Head. Came from Philly area. We charged in Salisbury for about 10 minutes then Norfolk for a bit (Had lunch, so we were there a good bit.)

By the time we made it to the rental house, I think we had about 50-70 miles left. Plugged in to the 110v outlet on the side of the house and in 48 hours, boom! Full charge. Was running at 4 mph, which is great. We weren't doing any long trips around town, mainly groceries, mini-golf, etc. So for anyone staying around town and being there for a week (I imagine that's the norm), I can't see having problems charging.

Now if there's no 110 on the outside of the house or anywhere near accessible, I can see that being an issue. Our house had two or three outlets I could have used with an extension cord. The outlets also have a Tesla charger, so worst case. . . I didn't want to mention that to the wife for fear of spending the day at the outlets when I could have been on the beach!

I just spent a week in Nags Head. Came from Philly area. We charged in Salisbury for about 10 minutes then Norfolk for a bit (Had lunch, so we were there a good bit.)

By the time we made it to the rental house, I think we had about 50-70 miles left. Plugged in to the 110v outlet on the side of the house and in 48 hours, boom! Full charge. Was running at 4 mph, which is great. We weren't doing any long trips around town, mainly groceries, mini-golf, etc. So for anyone staying around town and being there for a week (I imagine that's the norm), I can't see having problems charging.

Now if there's no 110 on the outside of the house or anywhere near accessible, I can see that being an issue. Our house had two or three outlets I could have used with an extension cord. The outlets also have a Tesla charger, so worst case. . . I didn't want to mention that to the wife for fear of spending the day at the outlets when I could have been on the beach!
Can you clarify the 'Outlets'? Do you mean something at Nags Head? Nothing shows on the Tesla map in the area except the Roanoke Island Inn. :confused:

Making some progress out this way! Have meetings with OBX Brewing station and Argyles next month. Let's hope for a good electrical panel to parking lot proximity so the install is covered. Does anyone have any other locations they can recommend? If you have a contact there even better.

Also if anyone is interested, Northeast Dragway in Hertford NC is looking into getting chargers. It's an 1/8 miles strip I'll be visiting in a couple weeks to scope it out :)

Last edited:
Making some progress out this way! Have meetings with OBX Brewing station and Argyles next month. Let's hope for a good electrical panel to parking lot proximity so the install is covered. Does anyone have any other locations they can recommend? If you have a contact there even better.

Also if anyone is interested, Northeast Dragway in Hertford NC is looking into getting chargers. It's an 1/8 miles strip I'll be visiting in a couple weeks to scope it out :)

Brian or Craig at Red Drum Tap House would be worth talking to, Bob or Richard at Tortugas Lie... I'll think of some others. Been eating lunch out more often recently, will try to bring up the charger subject next time I see an owner.

Reactions: EVTECH
You may also want to talk to Owen's Restaurant (locally owned for over 50 years). I wonder if the Wright Brothers Monument or Kitty Hawk Kites would be interested in participating as well, perhaps?

After working with a handful of state and national parks I avoid them like the plague when it comes to chargers. I had great success with WV state parks after quite a few meetings and phone conferences. Have spent 4-5 hours with First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach with all the red tape and we still have a ways to go. I had a locally owned brewery in Hampton VA start the process but gave up because the national park service had the final say in his historic district. The same amount of resources can be spread among 3-4 locally owned restaurants, wineries, and breweries with a much higher success rate.

Will look into Owen's. Thanks!

Brian or Craig at Red Drum Tap House would be worth talking to, Bob or Richard at Tortugas Lie... I'll think of some others. Been eating lunch out more often recently, will try to bring up the charger subject next time I see an owner.

John do you have an electrician you can recommend in OBX? None on the Tesla website. :-/

After working with a handful of state and national parks I avoid them like the plague when it comes to chargers. I had great success with WV state parks after quite a few meetings and phone conferences. Have spent 4-5 hours with First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach with all the red tape and we still have a ways to go. I had a locally owned brewery in Hampton VA start the process but gave up because the national park service had the final say in his historic district. The same amount of resources can be spread among 3-4 locally owned restaurants, wineries, and breweries with a much higher success rate.

Will look into Owen's. Thanks!

I thought it might be more difficult. Kitty Hawk Kites across from Jockey's Ridge would be another good option, there's shopping, the dune and some restaurants within walking distance that would make it a good spot for Destination Chargers.

Heading out to Frisco, leaving this Sunday anyone going to the southend of the island this week?
I have been after the realtors for years with no success, you would think that the owners would by now
have caught on, charge me $10.00 or $20.00 extra per week and let me charge on a 220 line. I may even drive 25 to 30 miles during the week.

Anyhow, the Inn on Pamlico Sound has Tesla chargers.

Heading out to Frisco, leaving this Sunday anyone going to the southend of the island this week?
I have been after the realtors for years with no success, you would think that the owners would by now
have caught on, charge me $10.00 or $20.00 extra per week and let me charge on a 220 line. I may even drive 25 to 30 miles during the week.

Anyhow, the Inn on Pamlico Sound has Tesla chargers.
Do they let non-guests charge there? I would have thought their HPWCs were for guests only.