Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nasty noise on hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to pick up my S 100D (New in March 2018) from the SC for the 2nd time in 2 weeks for the exact same issue. I'm hoping this will not be a recurring issue. From what I have been reading, I am wondering if turning the steering wheel completely to one side while in the highest suspension is causing damage?
My wife puts the vehicle into high suspension in every single parking lot with a curb.

And forgets to lower it to LOW when going all out on freeway entrance ramps....KEEP THAT CAR AT LOW ALWAYS unless you need height and you will stop destroying the axle shafts. had mine replaced, got schooled by the SC, NEVER raise it anymore unless I need height temporarily.

I have a 2018 100D bought in June of 2018. It is currently in SC at this time getting its third front axle replacement. The technician said that Tesla now replaces it under warranty once. After that the customer has to pay for it because so many people "hotrod" the car. I told him I do not drive like that and that the forums are full of similar problems related by owners. He then agreed it was known to Tesla but gave a negative gesture when I asked it it was going to be a recall on it.

He agreed to do the work under warranty but now I am afraid to even test it once I get it back out of fear of a repeat and then have to pay for it. I think 100 grand is enough.

Here's some good questions: How in the hell does the P100D and the new Roadster which has a 200 Kw/h battery and AWD not have this problem?? And, if they do not, why doesn't Tesla just fix mine with the part that's used in those cars? And finally, how can a manufacturer claim 0-60 stats like Tesla does on its cars when doing so breaks the cars drive train???

Keep it on LOW suspension and you will be happy for a long time.

Just took my P85DL in for some warranty items and had them look at the noise when accelerating while suspension raised. The initial comment was there is not a fix for this but it is a known issue. They just sent my paperwork and it states this is a "known characteristic" and it should be "on low when driven hard". Sounds like they aren't planning on addressing the issue any longer.

As the current owner of a P85D and a P100DL, I believe this issue is far too prevalent for them not to address. I feel like class action lawsuits have been filed for much less. Wasn't there a class action that took place in another country based on the horsepower number Tesla claimed for its "P" variant?

I think we need to collectively continue to keep in on their radar. This means holding the the service managers feet to the fire to send emails to powertrain, requesting status update for said "fix." The other alternative is simply wait for an axle shaft to break creating an unsafe situation at speed?

Keep it on LOW suspension and you will be happy for a long time.

I did this for the first 3 cv shaft replacements. Put it into auto lowering to lowest at all speeds. Only ever raised to to get over specific speed bumps and curbs and canceled all auto saved height geo locations.

Made no difference. The issue came back every time....until I lowered the car ONE MORE INCH with lowering links 50 miles after the very last cv shaft replacement....which has now been 14K miles and not a hint of the issue returning.

This never occurred on my first car, a March 2015 Model S P85D with frequent launches to show future owners the performance, but on my Nov 2016 Model S 90D, it’s happened multiple times, after replacement, with 0 full launches.
The P85D had tons more torque?

I did this for the first 3 cv shaft replacements. Put it into auto lowering to lowest at all speeds. Only ever raised to to get over specific speed bumps and curbs and canceled all auto saved height geo locations.

Made no difference. The issue came back every time....until I lowered the car ONE MORE INCH with lowering links 50 miles after the very last cv shaft replacement....which has now been 14K miles and not a hint of the issue returning.

well that is very interesting....wonder if your car was higher than normal for "low" mode?

so right now my p85d is 1 inch higher than it should be? how do I get this lowering link? or how to see if it is indeed 1 inch to high?

well that is very interesting....wonder if your car was higher than normal for "low" mode?

Funny you should ask. They did the height calibration twice because when the measured the height by hand, they said it was 1/2" higher than normal but it remained so AFTER each recalibration and they said they had no explanation for it.

My guess is that the spec they were using was wrong and that the car was adjusting itself to the new height that Tesla rolled out in a software update in 2014 to prevent battery strikes.

so right now my p85d is 1 inch higher than it should be? how do I get this lowering link? or how to see if it is indeed 1 inch to high?

I printed mine out:

Tesla model S lowering links - rear by BalrogHuzzah

i-974ptFg-X3.jpg

i-RTRtQHC-X3.jpg

Under suspension,
Is there a way to keep the car on the LOW setting ? Mine seems to always revert to STANDARD.

I would like to avoid such a mod, but are lowering links needed/available for the S to offset the settings lower?

Yes, under suspension, automatic lowering, set low to always.
I find it will raise at some places where I have raised to high on some bumpy roads near me.