Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nasty noise on hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nov 2018 MX (purchased 2 weeks ago) and the hard acceleration clicking started at under 2k miles. I haven't brought it in yet. I don't have anything useful to add at this point, just adding a data point to the discussion.

I have 2016 S P85D, same noise. The SC couldn't get it to reproduce, and I now recognize similar pattern as described by others here, where it tends to happen only when car is first started up after sitting. Hopefully they come up with a permanent fix.

I have a 2018 100D bought in June of 2018. It is currently in SC at this time getting its third front axle replacement. The technician said that Tesla now replaces it under warranty once. After that the customer has to pay for it because so many people "hotrod" the car. I told him I do not drive like that and that the forums are full of similar problems related by owners. He then agreed it was known to Tesla but gave a negative gesture when I asked it it was going to be a recall on it.

He agreed to do the work under warranty but now I am afraid to even test it once I get it back out of fear of a repeat and then have to pay for it. I think 100 grand is enough.

Here's some good questions: How in the hell does the P100D and the new Roadster which has a 200 Kw/h battery and AWD not have this problem?? And, if they do not, why doesn't Tesla just fix mine with the part that's used in those cars? And finally, how can a manufacturer claim 0-60 stats like Tesla does on its cars when doing so breaks the cars drive train???

I have 2016 S P85D, same noise. The SC couldn't get it to reproduce, and I now recognize similar pattern as described by others here, where it tends to happen only when car is first started up after sitting. Hopefully they come up with a permanent fix.

Mine has never been more prevalent when cold and I'm on my fifth set of front cv half shafts. Fortunately the current set has not had the problem return even after 14K miles, but that's probably because I lowered the car 1".

Hi,
I have 2018 P100D and love it overall but wish the could get ride of it. It’s more of an embarrassment having to explain it to people you take for a ride. Mine has had ‘this noise since day 1. It’s definitely better in hot summer weather and much worse in the cold. I haven’t brought mine in yet, after googling it and seeing how common it was and mixed results on fixing it I figured I’d wait until they sorted it out or I had another issue to bring it in for. Mine has actually improved somewhat over the past year. Has anyone who brought theirs in actually been fixed?

Reactions: BBone
Hi,
I have 2018 P100D and love it overall but wish the could get ride of it. It’s more of an embarrassment having to explain it to people you take for a ride. Mine has had ‘this noise since day 1. It’s definitely better in hot summer weather and much worse in the cold. I haven’t brought mine in yet, after googling it and seeing how common it was and mixed results on fixing it I figured I’d wait until they sorted it out or I had another issue to bring it in for. Mine has actually improved somewhat over the past year. Has anyone who brought theirs in actually been fixed?
I have had the noise/vibration coming from what seems to be the front axle or CV joint. Seems on mine to be on the left side of my S P100DL. Only happens on hard acceleration usually after making a right turn. Not that concerned yet and will probably wait a few service visits before making it a priority. I have a X90D that makes a similar vibration noise and feel. Over in the X forums it's a pretty frequent recurring issue and doesn't have a permanent fix yet. A bit of noise and vibration I can handle for now until there's a permanent fix. SC replaced my tie rods once on the X but still as bad or maybe worse than before. So wait I shall.

I have a 2018 100D bought in June of 2018. It is currently in SC at this time getting its third front axle replacement. The technician said that Tesla now replaces it under warranty once. After that the customer has to pay for it because so many people "hotrod" the car. I told him I do not drive like that and that the forums are full of similar problems related by owners. He then agreed it was known to Tesla but gave a negative gesture when I asked it it was going to be a recall on it.

He agreed to do the work under warranty but now I am afraid to even test it once I get it back out of fear of a repeat and then have to pay for it. I think 100 grand is enough.

Here's some good questions: How in the hell does the P100D and the new Roadster which has a 200 Kw/h battery and AWD not have this problem?? And, if they do not, why doesn't Tesla just fix mine with the part that's used in those cars? And finally, how can a manufacturer claim 0-60 stats like Tesla does on its cars when doing so breaks the cars drive train???

This is terrible news. I drive my S100D very easy and never hot rod it and have had to have them replaced.

How do you hotrod a Tesla? I'd like to know so I can raise it up to the 691 hp that they advertised it at before we all found out they lied and retroactively changed it to 463 hp which is what those of us who were dynoing our cars had been saying all along.

Or by hotrod, do you mean accelerating hard? Would I be Insane to ask for a refund on my Ludicrous upgrade so I'm no longer hotrodding it:p

I've had my front cv axles replaced 4 times. The first 3 times the vibration returned within 3 or 4K miles miles. I'm at 13K miles or so now and it still hasn't returned.

I'm pretty sure it's because I hotrodded(er I mean) lowered the car 1" reducing the angle the cv joint is under during maximum torque.

How do you hotrod a Tesla? I'd like to know so I can raise it up to the 691 hp that they advertised it at before we all found out they lied and retroactively changed it to 463 hp which is what those of us who were dynoing our cars had been saying all along.

Or by hotrod, do you mean accelerating hard? Would I be Insane to ask for a refund on my Ludicrous upgrade so I'm no longer hotrodding it:p

I've had my front cv axles replaced 4 times. The first 3 times the vibration returned within 3 or 4K miles miles. I'm at 13K miles or so now and it still hasn't returned.

I'm pretty sure it's because I hotrodded(er I mean) lowered the car 1" reducing the angle the cv joint is under during maximum torque.

This is a tough one. I have been arguing with my SC on this issue. They once said "We are told we can't keep replacing these axles" That was an interesting statement. So just last week at my yearly "checkup" they relented and replaced them (once again). This all seems to mirror what the poster was told about "limiting" the number of times Tesla will stand behind their warranty on this problem. I do not hot rod either. I do accelerate pulling on to the freeway. Maybe the problem is not with the owners Tesla, but rather with the design/materials used? Oh well......

This is a tough one. I have been arguing with my SC on this issue. They once said "We are told we can't keep replacing these axles" That was an interesting statement. So just last week at my yearly "checkup" they relented and replaced them (once again). This all seems to mirror what the poster was told about "limiting" the number of times Tesla will stand behind their warranty on this problem. I do not hot rod either. I do accelerate pulling on to the freeway. Maybe the problem is not with the owners Tesla, but rather with the design/materials used? Oh well......

I think uttering "Song Beverley" and "Magnusson Moss" in a single sentence should be all they need to not only fix it again but for them to hope they can get it right within four attempts.

Reactions: cwerdna
December 2018 MX delivery. I noticed this within the first week of having the car. Haven't played around enough to see if going to "lower" instead of "standard" suspension completely eliminates the issue.

For those of you who're saying you've gotten something replaced, and the issue goes away, but comes back later. That makes me think something is either loosening up, or warping over time after use. What the heck is a 1/2 shaft and why do people think it's the cause?

Nov built 2018 model S100D. Been making noise since 1000 miles , now at 4500.

Dropbox - 2019-02-08 12.13.28.mov

Really wish they would put some effort for a permanent fix with a revised part. The amount of people with this issue and warranty dollars is sickening.

So much worse than mine ever was even under Ludicrous acceleration. Mine only ever happened from 28 to 35 MPH and even then they replaced the cv shafts 4 times.

Yours is clearly much worse and happens over a much larger range of speed.

So much worse than mine ever was even under Ludicrous acceleration. Mine only ever happened from 28 to 35 MPH and even then they replaced the cv shafts 4 times.

Yours is clearly much worse and happens over a much larger range of speed.

Yep , been getting alot of pushback from corp also, they really dont want to replace them. Kinda sad considering this car is a new one for the buyback of my old lemonlike S.

It will get replaced just had to bitch alot.

December 2018 MX delivery. I noticed this within the first week of having the car. Haven't played around enough to see if going to "lower" instead of "standard" suspension completely eliminates the issue.

For those of you who're saying you've gotten something replaced, and the issue goes away, but comes back later. That makes me think something is either loosening up, or warping over time after use. What the heck is a 1/2 shaft and why do people think it's the cause?
I have a MX75D loaner with 2200 miles built 8/18 that has this same sound. I agree it is the angle driveshaft to wheel based on MX standard air suspension height. Changing to Low = no noise. With all the engineering it's amazing the easy parts of car design are elusive, eg strut chatter in MS, frozen windows, air suspension drive shaft angles, yellow banding on 17".
I get they need to reduce expenses - but not fixing known issues, accusing owners of hot rodding, limiting defective design part replacement- not good. It is like they have moved past S and X.

Interesting about no noise if suspension set in low...I need to try that.

I have this noise issue, and I've noticed it usually doesn't present when the car is "warm"' i.e when I've been driving for some time. Also, it rarely presents if I intensely but progressively apply the throttle. If I dump it though, it usually presents.

I have a MX75D loaner with 2200 miles built 8/18 that has this same sound. I agree it is the angle driveshaft to wheel based on MX standard air suspension height. Changing to Low = no noise. With all the engineering it's amazing the easy parts of car design are elusive, eg strut chatter in MS, frozen windows, air suspension drive shaft angles, yellow banding on 17".
I get they need to reduce expenses - but not fixing known issues, accusing owners of hot rodding, limiting defective design part replacement- not good. It is like they have moved past S and X.
Keep it on low when driving hard or you will chew through new axle shafts over and over and over...was designed to drive hard on low only.

Some people say the driveshafts get permanently damaged if you accellerate hard with suspension in high/very high, thus resulting in the noise.

This could explain it and why some people have had issues returning after replacing driveshafts.

I cannot understand why Tesla doesn't limit the power when suspension is high/very high..

Agree, they need to have a warning when raising suspension "your maximum power draw will be reduced on any setting above low in order to save your axle shafts longevity"

Reactions: madmax240