Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nasty noise on hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exact same noise as mine. I'm on my fifth CV joint on the right side. First 4 destroyed resulting that vibration and sound between 28 and 35 MPH.

In my case, the cause was Tesla's increased ride height firmware update several years ago combined with full lock turning all the way to the left resulting in the joint on the front drive shaft exceeding the angle it was capable of thereby bending loosening the joint. It was just one side because the steering rack turn lock to lock is not quite symmetrical so only the right side's angle was being exceeded because the shafts also don't come out of the DU at a perfect right angle.

I've since lowered my car 1" and the problem hasn't come back.

The 1 inch lowering makes the wheel perfectly centered in the wheel well on the lowest setting. Before that, the lowest sitting still made the car look like it was raised even though Tesla did two ride height calibrations.

• Informative
Reactions: madmax240
Mine is at the SC. Both sides were replaced as well as the jack shaft once already.
Brought it back to the SC last Tuesday with the same issue again.
I was surprised last night as they said it's a known issue, but they didn't want replace them this time until a permanent fix is available.
I called back this morning to firmly ask that they change them again. There seems to be a constant vibration now (front right) when cruising 35 - 65 mph (60-120kmh) and am worried there may be something else wrong.
The Service Advisor said they would make it right. BTW the loaner 100D doesn't do it. Yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Mine is at the SC. Both sides were replaced as well as the jack shaft once already.
Brought it back to the SC last Tuesday with the same issue again.
I was surprised last night as they said it's a known issue, but they didn't want replace them this time until a permanent fix is available.
I called back this morning to firmly ask that they change them again. There seems to be a constant vibration now (front right) when cruising 35 - 65 mph (60-120kmh) and am worried there may be something else wrong.
The Service Advisor said they would make it right. BTW the loaner 100D doesn't do it. Yet.

Your vibration that is constant just could be tire balance. Did they rotate your tires and not balance them? Or perhaps they did and one of your front wheels threw a weight which is really common.

Your vibration that is constant just could be tire balance. Did they rotate your tires and not balance them? Or perhaps they did and one of your front wheels threw a weight which is really common.
No, this was noticed the week before I brought it to them. Tech says it may be related but he's not 100 per cent sure.
The vibration is absolutely like an unbalanced tire though.

I am about to pick up my S 100D (New in March 2018) from the SC for the 2nd time in 2 weeks for the exact same issue. I'm hoping this will not be a recurring issue. From what I have been reading, I am wondering if turning the steering wheel completely to one side while in the highest suspension is causing damage?
My wife puts the vehicle into high suspension in every single parking lot with a curb.

I have the same thing. New S75D. Happens during hard accel between 30-60mph. SC says it’s a known design issue with drive box and when the fix is out they will swap out during routine service. They won’t recall for it since they say it’s not a danger. Just an annoyance

I have the same thing. New S75D. Happens during hard accel between 30-60mph. SC says it’s a known design issue with drive box and when the fix is out they will swap out during routine service. They won’t recall for it since they say it’s not a danger. Just an annoyance

Doesn't sound like the same issue. Not the same speed range and has nothing to do with a "drive box".

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Mine has done this for 3 years. SC said it was normal with 21 inch rims, so I didnt think anything of it. But if they have a fix I'll get it fixed. Only 10k miles left in warranty

It's not normal but it's typical. It has nothing to do with the wheels. I have both 19s and 21s and when I had the issue it was the same with either set of wheels.

So far the problem has not returned after after the 4th repair and 7K miles.

Pretty sure it's because I lowered the car by 1" which decreased the angle on the cv joints by 3.6 degrees.

You guys and your clanking and milling on hard acceleration.

The one common denominator I've noticed with all these drivetrain issues is owner abuse. Punching it, driving it hard. I take care of my expensive car.

--------------------------------

Interesting.

So, what you're saying is that you have empirical evidence that these "drivetrain issues" are caused by
"owner abuse", such as "punching it" and "driving it hard".

I guess your observations could be useful for these of us experiencing these issues...in which case presumably you're happy to share your carefully filtered, sifted and peer-reviewed data.

Or could it be that you're just posting unsubstantiated opinions...

I have an August build 2018 model 100 D. The exact same sound and it started about a month after I got it. It was doing intermittently at first and now it does it almost every time. I have taken it to the service center twice and taken people for rides in it there. However I could only get it to do it a little bit one of those occasions and the tech could not tell me what he thought the sound was coming from. They told me to bring it back when it’s doing it more consistently so they can figure out what the problem is. It sounds like from these post that they do know what the problem is but they either did not know that or did not want to let me know that. I’m not sure what the fix might be since the post on her recently said there still is no permanent fix. However I am going to take mine in to get some of the things your place at some of you did because I don’t want to create further wear on the car.

brought it in to the service center a week ago and they told me there is still no fix.

I have gone round and round with my SC on this issue (knocking and clanking on medium to hard acceleration). No I do not abuse my car. I do use the P100D power at times such as pulling on to the freeway.

At one SC visit they had numerous service advisors standing around me in a discussion along with the senior service manage whom I have known for some time. They worked hard to convince me first that this was "normal". I pursued the conversation as I could not quite grasp the irritating and scary noises as "normal". The service manager eventually moved to the position that it was not dangerous however it was a "known issue" that engineering was "looking into". Ok then. I wanted more information on the known issue. No luck. Just a lot of "rest assured" it is not serious and it is indeed a known issue so when a "fix" (still not sure what that means) is found I will be notified. \

I love my Tesla dearly....so I follow their advice and wait.