Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Geographic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
National Geographic Magazine - NGM.com

cars1.jpg

With 117,000 gas stations in the United States today and fewer than 500 charging stations, many not even open to the public, the scale of the transition to an electric-car world is daunting.

This seems like a small number. Here in LA there seems to be many undocumented ones that I hear about almost every week.

If Nissan is putting in a thousand in San Diego and 1000 in Seattle, doea that really mean a quadrupling of the existing charge infrastructure?

mods.
Is this better under "charging infrastructure"?

Yes, actually that sounds about right. The government estimate currently is 400 in California, and I doubt there are many more in other states.

Not buying it. What about 900 Teslas delivered? Until we put down money on a Roadster we did not realize that my wife's company has 2 chargers in 4 locked parking garages. That's 8 stations not on any list, and as i said I keep hearing about people and companies that have chargers that are not accessible to the public like at factories, in film studios and private homes.

My wild guess is 1,200

Is that pound of CO2 per mile directly out the tailpipe, or does it include the upstream emissions as well? (I.e. extraction, refinement, transport, etc.)

At 21mpg the tailpipe value alone is .9238 lb.

Emission Facts: Average Carbon Dioxide Emissions Resulting from Gasoline and Diesel Fuel | US EPA

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) epafiles_misc_exitepadisc.gif guidelines for calculating emissions inventories require that an oxidation factor be applied to the carbon content to account for a small portion of the fuel that is not oxidized into CO2. For all oil and oil products, the oxidation factor used is 0.99 (99 percent of the carbon in the fuel is eventually oxidized, while 1 percent remains un-oxidized.)[1.]
Finally, to calculate the CO2 emissions from a gallon of fuel, the carbon emissions are multiplied by the ratio of the molecular weight of CO2 (m.w. 44) to the molecular weight of carbon (m.w.12): 44/12.
CO2 emissions from a gallon of gasoline = 2,421 grams x 0.99 x (44/12) = 8,788 grams = 8.8 kg/gallon = 19.4 pounds/gallon

energy for drilling the oil

In addition to the energy used for the refinery comes the amount of oil, that is used to drill the oil. The estimated worldwide efficiency is 17:1 and is continuously declining.

This accounts for a 6% of the oil used to drill it.

(theoildrum.com)