Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Plug In Day 2012 Events - September 23rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Sunday get everyone you know who wants to drive or ride in an EV to a local EVent in your area.

If you own and EV it's a good way to share the experience with a bunch of new people.

It's one day to get out the message. More people means more converts and more press to get the word out.

I just received this by email on Friday...

"...Speaking of EV events, thought you would be interested in a gathering of EVs some of us on the Facebook Toronto EV group are planning near Burlington for this Sunday's National Plug-In Day:
National Plug-In Day Waterdown throwdown*(Update Your Browser | Facebook)
We'd love to see you and/or Martin there, especially if someone could bring an S or a Roadster down for others to drool over... we're all going to check out the 10(!) Level 2 chargers at the new arena there, and each others' cars. Please feel free to pass the invite along to anyone you know who may be interested, Tesla owner or not...there will be plenty of EV enthusiasts there, with cars, experience and services that may prove to be good Tesla candidates..."

Edit...sorry, the hyper link didn't copy properly...the meet is at 5:00 pm at the North Wentworth Arena & Community Center - 27 Hwy #5, Waterdown, Ontario.

Any Roadster owners from the GTA planning to attend?...Prime Mover? Djp? ...I think i'll head up there to check it out.

Last edited:
In Spokane it's 10:00 a.m. today at the Steam Plant. 121 S. Lincoln. Presumably running well into the afternoon, though I may get tired and leave around mid-afternoon. My understanding is that there will be two Roadsters (mine and another) plus several OEM cars and several conversion cars. This is a ride & drive event. I will give rides, as will some other folks, and some of the EVs (not my Roadster) will be available for people to drive.

Went to the one in Frisco (Dallas Area). Mostly Leafs and Volts w/ a couple of iMevs around. The charging stations at one point got treed. I was giving rides for a while. Even talked to NCTCOG about HOV lane access for electric vehicles. (hopefully soon.)

Were Tesla represented at ANY Plug In events? (Not owners with their cars, but Tesla themselves?)

At the one in Lisle, IL., they were not to be seen. Apparently Oak Brook declined ... and corporate didn't reply to the organizers.

Yet Leaf, Mitsubishi and Fisker were there.

VERY disappointing.

Were Tesla represented at ANY Plug In events? (Not owners with their cars, but Tesla themselves?)

At the one in Lisle, IL., they were not to be seen. Apparently Oak Brook declined ... and corporate didn't reply to the organizers.

VERY disappointing.

I suspect they didn't want to have to field questions about why the maintenance is so expensive.

Tesla got an "award" from the local EAA today at the SV EAA Rally.

A local owner couple showed up with "his and hers" Roadster + Model S, and a Tesla rep accepted the award, but I don't think it was quite an official Tesla showing.

disboth.jpg

This Sunday get everyone you know who wants to drive or ride in an EV to a local EVent in your area.

If you own and EV it's a good way to share the experience with a bunch of new people.

It's one day to get out the message. More people means more converts and more press to get the word out.

The local EAA told me they did not want me giving rides. All the Auto companies had convinced him that "They Had Insurance" (and I don't??), so Toyoga, Frod, Chebby Bolt, Leave, all were giving rides, but no Teslas. But I had more people looking at mine. They went over to the Toyoga RAVingEV, saw 100 mile range, and came back to look at mine and ask questions. Especially when Teslas will do 0-60 in around 5 seconds. Fast enough.

Also, had comments from just about everyone about the color. We are calling it the Hershey Bar, and passed out about a hundred little Hershey Bar Minis that we had in our ice chest.

VERY disappointing.

I hope every last one of them are out delivering cars! That would delight THIS stockholder. (Time for events next year.)

:)

At Seattle Center we had about 50 cars, including 3 Roadsters. (My Model S was supposed to be there; but it's currently "lost" in transit and I don't know when I will get it. Boy were people disappointed that it wasn't there).

IMG_4478.jpg

Reactions: AtAge19
I have never been to an event like this but am amazed that some people just hop into cars without asking and start messing with things. One kid used his fingernails to tap on the paint repeatedly for 10 seconds and asked this is carbon fiber, right? Otherwise, was neat to see so many EVs in one place.

We had a low-key event here in Ottawa, at a recreational complex in the west end where they have nine EV-only parking spaces with 110V plugs. One of the spaces got ICE'd but the owner came and retrieved it when he noticed the crowd of EVs.

pluginday.JPG

You can see a Roadster, converted pick-up, Leaf, Leaf, VIA EREV pickup truck (one of the prototypes!), Leaf, Leaf, Leaf, converted sedan, and a Volt. Also a couple of electric bikes.

A couple of additional cars showed up but there was no room for them!

National Plug-In Day San Antonio

sep 23 024.jpg

You know it's a great EV event when two Model S's show up - thanks to Dave for getting them there (they only arrived the day before). I was only able to get over to see them after I saw the other one leaving.

At the Spokane event there were two Nissan dealerships with Leafs, there was a GM dealership with a Volt, a Mitsubishi dealership with an iMiev, and there were owners with several Leafs (the most over-represented model there) and there was a Zenn, a Think City, a couple of conversion cars, and there were three Roadsters, including mine. A red 1.5, a yellow 2.0, and my orange 2.5. There was also an outfit that sells and installs PVs.

The electric Porsche is not presently drivable. Tim had said he'd have it done by the time I got back from my summer hiking trip, and then he'd said it would be done in time for plug-in day, but it's not. He offered to trailer it, but that seemed like a bad idea to me: Showing an EV that won't go. So it was not there. I've given him a deadline to get it back to me by the end of the month. But I digress.

Public turn-out was light, but there was a constant trickle of interested people. I spent more time talking to other EV owners than talking to non-EV-owners. I met the two other Roadster owners for the first time. I drove the Think City and I gave a few rides. I had expected to be driving all day, and had considered charging in Range mode, but in the end I did not, and it was just as well, as I didn't spend more than about half an hour total giving rides. Not a lot of people asked, and there were not all that many people there.

Tesla was not there, but the nearest store is in Seattle. And the other manufacturers were only represented by dealerships, not by corporate.

That's ok Daniel, Tesla wasn't at the Seattle event either. Sadly, since Chad's car had been delayed/lost, there was no Model S in attendance. And the maintenance shop / former store was only a few blocks away. :-/

Chad speculated that Tesla doesn't want to spend a dime on marketing right now, since deliveries are so far in the future.

P.S. At the event yesterday, the owner of the 1.5 Roadster told me the story of how he got it (used) which included at one point considering buying number 1117. It was the cheapest Roadster then in Tesla's inventory, but had a couple of options in it which raised the price above the base price, not to mention the cost of a UMC to go with it. In the end, he decided it was too expensive, and after a lot of searching and talking, and round-about, he ended up with the one he got. I'm grateful to him for not buying number 1117 back then, because it was a couple of months after he considered it and rejected it, that I bought it. And I am very happy with it. It's the latest version (2.5) and is the best color (very orange).