Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav not working, and I'm thrilled!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day, I noticed that when I tried to navigate home, the system wouldn't find a route. It just keeps saying that navigation is initializing. It seems to track my GPS location on the map just fine, it just won't calculate a route.

However, this issue has come along with a very nice side effect! Apparently, my Tesla is no longer able to determine when it's on a road which should be limiting autopilot. So, I can now use autopilot as fast as I want, on any road (typically, speed limit +10 mph)!! It also has gone back to an older iteration of nags, and now only nags me every few minutes, instead of every few seconds. Basically, it rolled the off-highway autopilot back to what it used to be, before Tesla screwed it up with all the restrictions.

The first time I noticed it, I thought Tesla finally came around and loosened the restrictions. Maybe they finally realized that the 5mph restriction was a mistake? Unfortunately not. In any case, I'm good with using my phone for directions. Unless Tesla finally gets rid of the autopilot restrictions, this is one fault that I have no intention on having fixed!

The other day, I noticed that when I tried to navigate home, the system wouldn't find a route. It just keeps saying that navigation is initializing. It seems to track my GPS location on the map just fine, it just won't calculate a route.

However, this issue has come along with a very nice side effect! Apparently, my Tesla is no longer able to determine when it's on a road which should be limiting autopilot. So, I can now use autopilot as fast as I want, on any road (typically, speed limit +10 mph)!! It also has gone back to an older iteration of nags, and now only nags me every few minutes, instead of every few seconds. Basically, it rolled the off-highway autopilot back to what it used to be, before Tesla screwed it up with all the restrictions.

The first time I noticed it, I thought Tesla finally came around and loosened the restrictions. Maybe they finally realized that the 5mph restriction was a mistake? Unfortunately not. In any case, I'm good with using my phone for directions. Unless Tesla finally gets rid of the autopilot restrictions, this is one fault that I have no intention on having fixed!
Wow, well the regulators that are here to protect our safety and presumably your family will not be happy to hear about this "very nice side effect".

Wow, well the regulators that are here to protect our safety and presumably your family will not be happy to hear about this "very nice side effect".
I don't think lowering my speed by 5mph is making anyone any safer. Nor do plenty other people who thought this was an unnecessary restriction on the part of Tesla. It actually just makes you impede the normal flow of traffic. I don't think many people would be complaining if the restriction were lifted!

Reactions: steve841
For what it's worth, rebooting your instrument cluster screen will probably fix this. I was having a different issue today and rebooted that screen and got the "navigation is initializing" message for a few minutes while it rebooted.

This can actually be replicated by others briefly by resetting your main screen and engaging lane keeping prior to the 3G/LTE signal being established. Once it picks up the cell signal it will then apply the restriction, if applicable. First few times I noticed it, I wondered if there would be a way to "extend" it (for testing and educational purposes only, of course).

So, do you see a good 3G/LTE signal on your screen? Are you able to use Tesla app still?

I don't think lowering my speed by 5mph is making anyone any safer. Nor do plenty other people who thought this was an unnecessary restriction on the part of Tesla. It actually just makes you impede the normal flow of traffic. I don't think many people would be complaining if the restriction were lifted!
I'm sure you're right and Tesla and the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission of the U.S. is wrong. You also mentioned nags so you're taking your hands off the wheel too. Not safe!

This can actually be replicated by others briefly by resetting your main screen and engaging lane keeping prior to the 3G/LTE signal being established. Once it picks up the cell signal it will then apply the restriction, if applicable. First few times I noticed it, I wondered if there would be a way to "extend" it (for testing and educational purposes only, of course).

So, do you see a good 3G/LTE signal on your screen? Are you able to use Tesla app still?
So you could probably just disconnect the cellular antenna and defeat all the protections? That would be quite a loophole.

I have a good signal, everything else works fine, and I can use the app. It's been a few days now, not a one time or temporary thing.

NAV has reverted back to a hot mess lately. Yesterday the little red arrow on my screen was driving backwards from LA to San Diego. The lovely voice also informed me to exit northbound, although I was heading southbound. At least I knew where I was going so it did not really matter other than optics, but I enjoyed turning on the muzzle again until she behaves. :D

You know all you have to do is keep your foot on the gas to get over that 5mph nonsense. It actually isn't that annoying, you get used to it.
I'm aware that you can override the speed, but then it's not really autopilot, is it?

That's right and you can tie a brick to your steering wheel to get over those pesky nags.
I prefer a small trail camera.

Tons but I get sketchy when people around me put the rest of us at risk so yeah I try and follow the rules given the state of AP today. ;)
I'm sorry you feel that you're at risk. I'm not going to do anything about it, but still sorry you feel that way. Know that you are in the minority.
I keep my hands very close to the wheel and I pay attention, so you don't have too much to worry about.

I'm sorry you feel that you're at risk. I'm not going to do anything about it, but still sorry you feel that way. Know that you are in the minority.
I keep my hands very close to the wheel and I pay attention, so you don't have too much to worry about.
Pretty childish but I'll stay well clear of Lebanon, OR just in case. Take care, be safe.