Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: SW is a 0.6 Product

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Nav does not work at all. When I attempt to select the Route option-in the cluster, the 17 inch display freezes and I have to reboot it.

I had that happen once when I first got the car but after the first software update, I haven't had that issue anymore. Do you have 1.15.8? Is it totally non-functional? I'd definitely let Tesla know in that case.

Is that *after* you input an address into the 17" screen? You shouldn't be able to select GPS on the cluster until a destination has been accepted, *and* I believe the instrument cluster will always change to GPS after it's been accepted so you shouldn't have to manually select it unless you selected away from it *after* an address was accepted and it was already showing.

The Route option will say "No Route" when a destination has not been inputted into the 17" display. I can still select "Route" on the cluster, but this causes a freeze of the 17 inch display. If I enter an address on the 17 inch display, and then go to Route on the cluster it shows my first turn on the cluster but then the 17inch display becomes frozen. I have to reboot the 17" display at this point; I have never gotten past the first turn screen on the cluster. Hopefully the next software update fixes this.

The Route option will say "No Route" when a destination has not been inputted into the 17" display. I can still select "Route" on the cluster, but this causes a freeze of the 17 inch display. If I enter an address on the 17 inch display, and then go to Route on the cluster it shows my first turn on the cluster but then the 17inch display becomes frozen. I have to reboot the 17" display at this point; I have never gotten past the first turn screen on the cluster. Hopefully the next software update fixes this.

Interesting. Have you rebooted the instrument cluster, too? (Top two steering wheel buttons for 20 seconds)

I had that happen once when I first got the car but after the first software update, I haven't had that issue anymore. Do you have 1.15.8? Is it totally non-functional? I'd definitely let Tesla know in that case.

I am on 1.15.8, got updated almost immediately after I took delivery of the vehicle. The car seemed to be much more stable on the previous firmware version. Nav is inoperable as is the buggy Google Map (freezing).

Interesting. Have you rebooted the instrument cluster, too? (Top two steering wheel buttons for 20 seconds)

Yea I rebooted the cluster, really didn't change anything. You can also press the two lower buttons (below the scroll wheels) and the car will take a screenshot of the cluster. Not sure where it stores these screenshots or how to access them.

I am on 1.15.8, got updated almost immediately after I took delivery of the vehicle. The car seemed to be much more stable on the previous firmware version. Nav is inoperable as is the buggy Google Map (freezing).

Yea I rebooted the cluster, really didn't change anything. You can also press the two lower buttons (below the scroll wheels) and the car will take a screenshot of the cluster. Not sure where it stores these screenshots or how to access them.

That's very strange. What does Tesla say? They should be able to dial in to your car and check some of that out.

9 My street is still not on the Toyota updates 10 years later. My parents town is rudimentary. I guess this is not the same as a black square but I would contend equivalent.

I'm sure you've done this, but it's a common oversight so I'll mention it. Did you change the map's region to your current location? Toyota's system (Denso) has the country divided into several regions and if you don't select the correct region the map is rudimentary. I find it kind of a pain because you can't change it while driving and when I cross regional boundaries, I'm always driving. The problem is that it doesn't tell you the region doesn't match the current location so it appears as if the map is deficient (of course, there are areas where the map is deficient).

#7: Can’t see Google traffic indications on the route that is being navigated (!!!)

Sorry to revive, an old, old thread, but this one really bugs me, and seems like it could be fixed just by making the blue route line skinnier! It's the THICKNESS of the line that obscures traffic.

#7: Can’t see Google traffic indications on the route that is being navigated (!!!)

Sorry to revive, an old, old thread, but this one really bugs me, and seems like it could be fixed just by making the blue route line skinnier! It's the THICKNESS of the line that obscures traffic.

I'd like to see the navigated route gently and fluidly pulse on and off. That draws attention to the route you want to take, but also allows you to see the traffic behind it. Better yet, integrate the traffic coloring into the navigated route line itself.

It bugs me too. It is puzzling how something so basic was missed.

Trying not to start a new thread so...

This may be a google thing but in trying to set a route to a local Indian restaurant, I entered Swagth, and although it momentarily showed the restaurant, before I could hit the line it changed all the entries to Swagt, another local place. Is there any way to force a specific spelling?

Trying not to start a new thread so...

This may be a google thing but in trying to set a route to a local Indian restaurant, I entered Swagth, and although it momentarily showed the restaurant, before I could hit the line it changed all the entries to Swagt, another local place. Is there any way to force a specific spelling?

If you type in part of the spelling and it shows up, will it let you click it before it goes away? Other option is to enter the specific address (if you can look it up on your phone) as a temporary fix and then you can find it in your history since you can't save favorites yet.

I noticed a flaw where I typed in an address and it showed me Oakland instead of sf. I didn't realize it was Oakland at first and it navigated me the wrong direction. Why wouldn't it just pick the closest address that matched instead of going 40 minutes away? It should assume your current city if you don't enter a new one.

I'm pretty sure this is a google problem for mobile devices. I wish that once it puts something on the screen, it doesn't move or replace it. I've lost track of the number of times I've hit the wrong thing because it moved or changed the one I wanted just as I was pointing my finger. This happens on my phone and tablet. Very frustrating.

Today was my first road trip. I checked my route on Google maps via the computer before I left: 157 miles.

When I put the destination into the Model S nav system: its route suggested 189 miles!

I ended up driving the route Google provided. It kept trying to suggest a longer route, and I kept ignoring it. At one point, it was so insistent on having me avoid a certain road, that it suggested a route that looped around, just to end up in front of me. In other words, in the driver's console Navigon display, I could see the suggested route veer off to the right, run a big loop, and then end up in front of me--even though it also showed the road I was currently on, which went straight and was several miles shorter. I continued on the "straight route", and it wasn't until the last mile or two that it finally suggested I continue on the road I was on. Didn't make sense at all.

"Navigation by Tesla". I know this will be improved with the big update due out later this summer...I hope the next version of the NAV software is better at route finding!

Every GPS I have used (Garmin, Infiniti, Tesla) tries very hard to take me away from my preferred route to Toronto. My route is shorter, prettier, takes the exact same time as the freeway route, and consumes much less kWh.

That's been my experience as well. The best is the browser version of Google Maps where you can set options like avoid highways and tolls. It gives almost exactly the same route that I would have chosen myself. However, the Telsa/Google system is not bad for what it is and better than other car systems that I've used. The best thing is that you can turn off the Nav lady so you don't have to hear her complain about the route choice.

After seeing the new google maps on my Android device, I sure wish they could work something out to use it. Combine it with google now and everything you do or search on your computer or phone would be right on their in your car. Man that would be nice.