Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: SW is a 0.6 Product

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing the new google maps on my Android device, I sure wish they could work something out to use it. Combine it with google now and everything you do or search on your computer or phone would be right on their in your car. Man that would be nice.
Google maps and nav is 10X better than what is in the Model S (Navigon, iirc). For example, Google Nav updates travel time based on traffic conditions, Tesla Nav does not. I was driving down town during rush hour and TN said 12 minutes while GN said 35. It was very close to 35 minutes to get there. GN is also getting realtime updates for alternate routes and incident reports. I love the idea of being able divert around an accident caused backup.

What would be even better if they allowed you to have your google account tied to your car user identity. Then addresses dropped into calendar or email would be directly usable in nav. As it is now, I either use GN on my phone or have to transcribe the address into TN (how 1990s). Maybe Tesla doesn't want to tie themselves too tightly to Google but it would definitely be awesome.

So, your desire not to use a google account means you don't think Tesla should support G maps and nav? Just trying to understand your objection.

Not at all, I use google maps and search all the time, but I don't sign in the way they would like me to do. The thought is: Don't create an account (anywhere) unless that is the only way to accomplish what you want to do. I have no problem with Tesla using google maps and nav. I'd just rather not have to have a Google account to use them.

Ugh, serious problems with T nav yesterday. I was downtown Seattle and found 3 separate errors. The worst one had me driving though the Capitol Hill Light Rail station that is being built (been that way for at least 2 years). If I'd followed it blindly, I would have run into a concrete wall 20 ft high (on the other side is a hole 30 feet deep). Google maps shows this section correctly. Fortunately, I really didn't need Tnav and knew what I was doing.

Ugh, serious problems with T nav yesterday. I was downtown Seattle and found 3 separate errors. The worst one had me driving though the Capitol Hill Light Rail station that is being built (been that way for at least 2 years). If I'd followed it blindly, I would have run into a concrete wall 20 ft high (on the other side is a hole 30 feet deep). Google maps shows this section correctly. Fortunately, I really didn't need Tnav and knew what I was doing.

The problem with bad data lies with Navigon, right? Try reporting the error here and hopefully it filters over to Tesla

Report incorrect map data (NavTeq)