Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NAv & Trip Planner (range Anxiety)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is the status of updates for the trip planner software? Seems like the threads I have found here all talk about the software is in beta mode and causes a lot of crazy re-routing when it is really not needed. Most reviews say to not bother using the trip planner, or know the area well enough to ignore re-routing orders.

I will not get my car for another few weeks (July can not come soon enough!) and am wondering how fast Tesla normally is with updates to this type of software.
If Elon wants to eliminate range anxiety, this software needs some attention. Do you expect this to get better in weeks or months?

Mike

I'm certain this will get better, but I have no info on when and/or how.

However, I've found it to be really useful, even as is. It's true that the long-distance routing isn't great. But, I have found the range prediction to be highly accurate *if* conditions are good. So, what I do is plan my charging stops in advance, but then use the trip planner to reassure me from stop to stop. A few times, I've run into situations where I wasn't able to charge at a planned stop. The trip planner really did give me confidence to continue without any worry. I do typically remove the recommended charging stops.

Today, I don't think you can just hop in the car and rely on the planner for a long trip. But, it still is useful, and I'm sure it will improve. I'd really like to see the range prediction graph as a dash widget option. And, I'd love if they could incorporate weather/wind data. In good conditions, I typically do a few percent better than predicted. But, even in the rain, the prediction is overly-optimitic by way too much. I bet we'll be seeing an update to address this before winter sets in.

am wondering how fast Tesla normally is with updates to this type of software.
If Elon wants to eliminate range anxiety, this software needs some attention. Do you expect this to get better in weeks or months?
The trip planning software has worked well for me so far. Others have had issues. Naturally, people who have had problems with it post more than people who use it and have no complaints.

Like all software, it will improve over time. There is no way for anyone outside Tesla to accurately predict when new releases will arrive, but that does not stop some from guessing. I can predict with 100% certainty that new releases are forthcoming. I am fairly confident that a new release will arrive later this year. That is a far as I am willing to go.

In 2014, after a few months of owning my S, my range anxiety disappeared. YMMV. I see you are located in Huntington Beach, California. You are fortunate to live in a part of the world that has quite a few Superchargers, and more are on the way (Buena Park, and possibly Fountain Valley according to some rumors). And the Supercharger network in the Western US continues to improve. I really think you should have no concerns.

I have no range anxiety in my Roadster, which has absolutely zero trip planning software and can't use the Superchargers. With experience one learns the limits of their vehicle and plans accordingly, just like with ICE cars.

Last edited:
I'm currently on a trip from SoCal to Denver and am using Trip Planner exclusively. So far so good, however the estimated percentage upon arrival is still off (I tested on trips from SoCal to SFO), so I always charge until there is a minimum of 20% energy upon arrival. I read one person took a trip and his minimum was 30%. This is only an estimate and while on the road this number changes with various changes such as headwinds and speed. There was one glitch I did notice, initially it had me stop in Primm NV then onto St George to charge bypassing Las Vegas, but after I charged at Primm NAV had me stopping in Las Vegas for 0 minutes of charge. It probably just wanted to stop in Vegas to see the show girls.