Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navak USB combo hub (Gen 2) ready to fly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just received my Navak Combo Hub (Gen 2) from Amazon. Couple of remarks.

1) First. Thank you for the promo code. That worked great.
2) The microSD slot doesn't seem to have an eject mechanism. From your "naked" prototype pictures, it looks like it's just a simple slot without a tension eject mechanism. Is this correct? I only mention this because on the unit I received the microSD card goes all the way into the plastic housing when inserted. I had to put a piece of Scotch tape to the microSD card to create a "handle" so I could put the card out later if necessary. Otherwise, the enter card would go into the housing and it would be very difficult to get out. At first, I thought the eject mechanism may have been faulty or locked in the wrong position. But after looking at your prototype pictures and some gentle poking around I figure out that there is no eject mechanism.

3) I realize the this product is primarily aimed at Model 3/Y owners (says so in the Amazon item listing.) I'm using it in a Model S. It seems to work so far with a few caveats. A) If you have the built in phone charger installed, that USB cable is not quite long enough to fit into the bottom USB port on the Navak unit. I had been hoping to save a port, so to speak, with he Navak unit. I may try to lengthen the Model S USB cable so it fits. B) You have to use a short/stubby USB drive in the top USB port on the Navak unit or the console lid won't close. I tried using a "longer" USB drive and it doesn't allow the console lid to close.

Other than these few observations, I think this device is really great. It allows me to add a microSD card and USB drive to the same USB port! Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to attach the Model S built-in USB charger plug to the Navak unit. This will free up my other USB port.

Reactions: Navak and lUtriaNt
ive had two of these for a few weeks now. the SD card is not designed to be removed. if you need to remove it use tweezers. I upgraded to a different card and that was the only reason I needed to remove it.

these are mostly designed for the 3/Y , so your observations are understood. still this SMART hub is about the best bang for the buck at the moment. i had his version 1 and happily picked up version 2.

Reactions: Navak
2) The microSD slot doesn't seem to have an eject mechanism. From your "naked" prototype pictures, it looks like it's just a simple slot without a tension eject mechanism. Is this correct?
As the manufacturer (who is a nice guy!) mentioned earlier in this thread:

Technically you should not remove the micro SD card once its installed. I use a tweezers to remove it without opening the case.

ive had two of these for a few weeks now. the SD card is not designed to be removed. if you need to remove it use tweezers.
Not sure of it is just the prototype I received, but my unit has a Phillips head screw on it and it was easy to pop open the case to remove the card without risking damaging it with the tweezers.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Navak
Hello,

Just received my Navak Combo Hub (Gen 2) from Amazon. Couple of remarks.

1) First. Thank you for the promo code. That worked great.
2) The microSD slot doesn't seem to have an eject mechanism. From your "naked" prototype pictures, it looks like it's just a simple slot without a tension eject mechanism. Is this correct? I only mention this because on the unit I received the microSD card goes all the way into the plastic housing when inserted. I had to put a piece of Scotch tape to the microSD card to create a "handle" so I could put the card out later if necessary. Otherwise, the enter card would go into the housing and it would be very difficult to get out. At first, I thought the eject mechanism may have been faulty or locked in the wrong position. But after looking at your prototype pictures and some gentle poking around I figure out that there is no eject mechanism.

3) I realize the this product is primarily aimed at Model 3/Y owners (says so in the Amazon item listing.) I'm using it in a Model S. It seems to work so far with a few caveats. A) If you have the built in phone charger installed, that USB cable is not quite long enough to fit into the bottom USB port on the Navak unit. I had been hoping to save a port, so to speak, with he Navak unit. I may try to lengthen the Model S USB cable so it fits. B) You have to use a short/stubby USB drive in the top USB port on the Navak unit or the console lid won't close. I tried using a "longer" USB drive and it doesn't allow the console lid to close.

Other than these few observations, I think this device is really great. It allows me to add a microSD card and USB drive to the same USB port! Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to attach the Model S built-in USB charger plug to the Navak unit. This will free up my other USB port.
Thanks for your feedback! I`m glad that it worked well on MS. You are absolutely right, micorSD slot is push-in pull-out type. Due to space limitation I was not able to squeeze any other slot connector that has eject mechanism. Also, I repurposed the Gen 1 cases and machined those slots myself on a small milling machine :) I like the idea of having card all the way cause its secure and safe. Since the car lets you format and view the videos onboard I believe card can live in a hub permanently. Honestly I never thought this will be used on Model S, otherwise I would make the connector placements more Model S friendly. Thanks again and please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Not sure of it is just the prototype I received, but my unit has a Phillips head screw on it and it was easy to pop open the case to remove the card without risking damaging it with the tweezers.

appreciate your feedback.

I picked up two of these directly from Navak and they are designed just like the first gen. there is no screw.
i agree now that we all have the option to format/view in the car, there is not really a need to remove, unless you want to store offline, which the majority may not care to do. my opinion.

I believe the case is the lowest priority in this design. The most important part is USB hub controller and microSD card to ensure samelss setery mode that will work safe at any given temptertue, and henc that why I went with industrial grade components
Hello, great product @Navak . Any idea when it will be available on Amazon next?
Hi, thanks. It`s is available on amazon.Check the link below and make sure to use the promo code!

Here is the link: https://amzn.com/B08B3FY8X8

Promo code: 7RN22R6F

Just found this thread... I have an Anker 4 port hub connected right now and something in my center console is causing interference with GPS on my phone when in the dock. I disconnected it along with my Xbox one controller and just kept my SD reader and charging cable connected and it was fine. Not sure if it's the hub or the controller right now but this might be a good solution since I can get rid of the standalone usb reader.

I also have all intentions of going to the OEM USB-C setup with wireless pad once it's verified it works

Just found this thread... I have an Anker 4 port hub connected right now and something in my center console is causing interference with GPS on my phone when in the dock. I disconnected it along with my Xbox one controller and just kept my SD reader and charging cable connected and it was fine. Not sure if it's the hub or the controller right now but this might be a good solution since I can get rid of the standalone usb reader.

I also have all intentions of going to the OEM USB-C setup with wireless pad once it's verified it works
Do you own this hub? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU

I own that and several people are reporting it is interfering with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communication. Seems Anker admits it interferes with 2.4Ghz devices. Perhaps the Realtek RTS5411 in it has issues. I used the hub for both wireless charging pad inputs and my Xbox controller. Only use one wireless charging pad at a time of course. I plugged my SSD into the other Tesla console port.

Yesterday I ordered both a Gen1 and Gen2 Navak unit for my 3 and purchased a SanDisk 256GB High Endurance card. Hopefully this solution is fairly radio frequency interference free. I also wanted to try the sdcard vs my enterprise grade power loss protected SSD. My SSD has never failed me at all over the past 18 months but I figured I would try to claim some space back. Of course I may also leave the SSD in there as a decoy.

I will review both units after I play around with them for a bit.

Last edited:
Do you own this hub? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU

I own that and several people are reporting it is interfering with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communication. Seems Anker admits it interferes with 2.4Ghz devices. Perhaps the Realtek RTS5411 in it has issues. I used the hub for both wireless charging pad inputs and my Xbox controller. Only use one wireless charging pad at a time of course. I plugged my SSD into the other Tesla console port.

Yesterday I ordered both a Gen1 and Gen2 Navak unit for my 3 and purchased a SanDisk 256GB High Endurance card. Hopefully this solution is fairly radio frequency interference free. I also wanted to try the sdcard vs my enterprise grade power loss protected SSD. My SSD has never failed me at all over the past 18 months but I figured I would try to claim some space back. Of course I may also leave the SSD in there as a decoy.

I will review both units after I play around with them for a bit.

Doh... that explains it.

upload_2020-7-26_17-50-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-26_17-50-40.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-26_17-50-40.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 39
Status
Not open for further replies.