Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation audio - intermittent problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our 3SR+ running 2020.36.11 we have an intermittent (but getting worse) issue with the navigation audio. It's hard to recall when it started but it has been around for a few months now. More often than not navigation audio no longer works. It doesn't seem to be affected by how or when the navigation is set up or which of two iPhones are being used as the key or which other audio features we are using.

I have a service ticket out and have been asked to remove the Sandisk recording Sentry and/or reformat it. Reformatting had no effect and I have now very reluctantly removed it - we drive on quite narrow roads and often meet other drivers coming fast in the middle of the road. I have also tried hard reboot.

I have searched through the forum and can't see anyone else having this problem. Any helpful thoughts please?

One thing worth mentioning but you maybe have already checked since it's intermittent....
Navigation audio volume. This is separate from the audio volume and can be set low enough you don't hear it or muted. You can change it in one of two ways....the first is selecting the gear icon to the right of the navigation cancel button once a destination is set. The second is to use the standard volume controls (steering wheel) to change the volume while a navigation prompt is being played. You will know you are charging the just the navigation volume since the icon on the display volume indicator will be a different volume icon than when you change the music volume.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ticked
I'd second the above. The left scroll wheel will reduce the navigation volume whilst instructions are being given, then that scroll wheel reverts to controlling the normal audio volume. It's caught me out a few times, when I've changed the volume just as a navigation instruction has started, without realising it.

The time it's usually caught me out is when arriving somewhere, when I've wound down the audio volume and happened to have inadvertently caught the start of the "you have reached your destination" instruction. Winding down the volume as I arrive somewhere is just a habit I've got into, and I seem to do it without thinking. To stop it messing up the navigation volume I've now switched to turning the navigation off a mile or two reaching the destination.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ticked
Thank you so much @jmaddr and @Glan gluaisne at least I can now get the audio to play. I promise to spend more time reading the manual as, now I have been prompted, I can see it there. What still isn't clear is why sometimes the audio starts and other times it doesn't, when the volume controls haven't been changed.

Thank you so much @jmaddr and @Glan gluaisne at least I can now get the audio to play. I promise to spend more time reading the manual as, now I have been prompted, I can see it there. What still isn't clear is why sometimes the audio starts and other times it doesn't, when the volume controls haven't been changed.
I had this today. I think that updates can randomly reset it.

You can also find the nav volume in the main menu under navigation

The nav volume/toggle under main navigation may also be a reason why some may not get chime on green light - the other reason is that you may not have FSD. After someone suggested that this may be a resolution for out mute chime, I toggled the nav voice instructions and next green light I got a chime. Its been quite quiet since though so must try it again.