Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Map Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ebmcs03

Dec 22, 2017
So Cal
I just got a warning from my car stating that I’m running off of old Navigation maps and updates are only downloadable off WiFi.

I got my car in June. I thought i can get all updates off the “Lifetime” free premium LTE.

What’s going on? Or did Tesla screw up and i don’t have free lifetime premium LTE?

The manual says this:

"As updated maps become available, they are automatically sent to Model 3 over Wi-Fi. To ensure you receive them, periodically connect Model 3 to a Wi-Fi network"

It's not clear if map updates are supposed to be part of the "premium LTE" service.

@RedModel3 On the dashboard, hit the LTE signal bars (upper left of the screen) and you should see Wi-Fi settings in the drop down menu. Connect to your router and you should be good to go.
I tried everything, but it wouldn't connect. I checked my router and password, and tried all three options for the password. Any ideas why it won't connect? I know I can get a wifi signal where my car is parked. Too bad it doesn't auto-search for a network.

i don't know how i feel about this. there are some situations where connecting to wifi may not be practical (urban dwellers, apartment buildings with garages far away, road trips, etc.). good luck trying to park at starbucks to get wifi so you can update your maps (and you might not be able to anyways because of the wifi capture portal). i really think this should be included at least for premium connectivity, though perhaps at a less frequent rate.

what is it that tesla is downloading? i don't think it's google maps themselves (like caching local areas); also that would be impractical for road trips. is this the data like speed limits?

Reactions: parkds_nyc
I connected my car to WiFi and it quickly prompted me on 36.2 update.

That’s messed up. I’m suppose to have premium LTE. Yet no updates until I connected to wifi

Premium LTE doesn’t mean multiple 5GB sustained downloads. Imagine how much an overage is 5GB is on your cell phone plan and multiple that across 300,000 cars. That’s the size of the Tesla fleet right now and not a single person is paying for data.

I believe cars made before Feb 2018 only support 2.4GHz. If you have a car made after that and can't connect to 5GHz, then it is likely out of range (5GHz has faster speeds, but lower range, especially through obstacles)

My car was able to find my networks and connect. I didn't have good signal and after over a month I still hadn't got any updates. I tested on my phone from the same area of my garage and got no or little reception and poor speeds. Then when I was out of town on only LTE (and in Canada instead of the US) then I finally got a prompt for an update. After I got home I moved my router off my desk behind a monitor onto a shelf, and I put a range extender on the other side of my garage which is closer to the router and now I get a great signal, and had an update download almost as soon as it was released.

As for updates over LTE, I've heard that you still get them (like I did after a month with no updates), but generally after some delay or less frequently than you would on WiFi.

I don't believe there is a way. Like there is no indication on the M3 when you are turning that it is NEVER going to change lanes. You just have to wait until you look like a fool and take over control from the car. When I asked Tesla they said they are making it better all the time. Perhaps the Maps version will be there in a future About box

-Randy

Executive summary of my question -- is this infamous "maps update" useful for those of us
who do not have Enhanced Auto Pilot configured (as a paid-for item), or it is just for use by
Navigate on Autopilot for those with EAP? Motivation: I'm a recent M3 owner / apartment dweller with
weak/non-existent WiFi in my garaged parking space, but with good LTE for regular
firmware updates. I just went thru the trial period for EAP (TACC is great, Autosteer is freaky)
but could not enable NoA to try because it required this update. Even a visit to a Tesla service center was
a fail, because they claimed it took more than 4 hours, presumably because they might have
slow WiFi. From a nerdier standpoint, using my iPhone as a WiFi hotspot overnight was also
a fail. From even a geekier point-of-view (1) how often do these map updates occur?, (2) can
they be "pulled" (user control) instead of "pushed" (by Tesla who knows when, but lack of determinism via
a pull causes more failure), and (3) are they "checkpointed" incrementally like similar-sized 5GB Apple OS updates,
so that when a download runs into trouble, it doesn't need to entirely re-downloaded in toto, exhibiting
possible quadratic behavior and even more failure? If the basic answer it that a maps update is
needed by *all* drivers fairly often, then Tesla should advertise that garage electrical work for charging
(impossible for many apartment dwellers) should also be accompanied by WiFi-enabling improvements.
Unless ... Tesla is re-vamping this whole can of worms.