Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation on the iPhone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla partnered with Apple Maps, it is apparently no longer possible to plot out a trip which includes charging stations unless you’re sitting in the car. When you click on navigation within the iPhone Tesla app, it takes you out of the Tesla app and into Apple Maps. Here you can plan a route like you would in any other car but you can’t see when or where you will need to charge. This is a serious inconvenience when planning, for example, a long summer road trip. Is this an unintended (or intended?) consequence of the partnership with Apple Maps, or am I missing something?

Since Tesla partnered with Apple Maps, it is apparently no longer possible to plot out a trip which includes charging stations unless you’re sitting in the car. When you click on navigation within the iPhone Tesla app, it takes you out of the Tesla app and into Apple Maps. Here you can plan a route like you would in any other car but you can’t see when or where you will need to charge. This is a serious inconvenience when planning, for example, a long summer road trip. Is this an unintended (or intended?) consequence of the partnership with Apple Maps, or am I missing something?
From you living room:
  • You can use ABRP, personally I hate it.
  • Superchargers app, I like this one, it only shows Superchargers however.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tesla app is not going to Apple Maps for me. Maybe a setting on your phone. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_7392.jpeg

Upvote 0
That ^ is on your phone? That’s the view I am missing/longing for. Don’t think it’s just a setting on my phone, though; I’ve spoken to two Tesla support people who understand and agree that trying to go to navigation through the iPhone Tesla app now takes you directly to Apple Maps. Also, the change happened around the same time I was seeing alerts elsewhere that Tesla had partnered with Apple Maps. If they want to make that available, great. But it should be ONE option, not the only option.

Upvote 0
That ^ is on your phone? That’s the view I am missing/longing for. Don’t think it’s just a setting on my phone, though; I’ve spoken to two Tesla support people who understand and agree that trying to go to navigation through the iPhone Tesla app now takes you directly to Apple Maps. Also, the change happened around the same time I was seeing alerts elsewhere that Tesla had partnered with Apple Maps. If they want to make that available, great. But it should be ONE option, not the only option.
Yes, it’s on my phone.

On my iPhone app there is a Send to Tesla button
Yup. Trimmed that part out in the first screenshot.

IMG_7395.jpeg

Upvote 0
Huh, that's not the way mine works. It works the way you'd expect:
IMG_4076.jpeg

Upvote 0

This does not happen on the Tesla app on my iPhone 14 (latest iOS and latest version of Tesla App).

I do the following:

1. Go to Tesla App
2. Select Location
3. Select Navigate and enter address
4. Route shows up with charging stations stops and option to "Send to Car"

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the responses. I’ve just left my local Tesla dealership, and they have no answer for me. The navigation screen that a couple of you have shown above, which starts with “location,” then lists charging points, is no longer available on my Tesla app. When I touch “location,” this is the screen I’m taken to. There is no “Navigate” button. When the bent arrrow (upper right) is touched, it takes you to plain old Apple Maps, with no ability to plot a trip that includes charging stations.
1714424631014.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
Your app appears to be messed up somehow. The input panel that’s supposed to be at the bottom isn’t showing up but the app still expects it to be there based on the Apple Maps logo in the middle of the screen (typically the logo should be at the bottom corner of the displayed map).

I would try to offload and then redownload the app. If that still fails then completely uninstall and reinstall it.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the responses. I’ve just left my local Tesla dealership, and they have no answer for me. The navigation screen that a couple of you have shown above, which starts with “location,” then lists charging points, is no longer available on my Tesla app. When I touch “location,” this is the screen I’m taken to. There is no “Navigate” button. When the bent arrrow (upper right) is touched, it takes you to plain old Apple Maps, with no ability to plot a trip that includes charging stations.View attachment 1042938
I noticed this same “bug” two days ago. I turned off the app and restarted it. It would let me plan a trip one time and then no longer let me do it unless I shut the app off and restarted it. Very recent bug AFAIK.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the responses. I’ve just left my local Tesla dealership, and they have no answer for me. The navigation screen that a couple of you have shown above, which starts with “location,” then lists charging points, is no longer available on my Tesla app. When I touch “location,” this is the screen I’m taken to. There is no “Navigate” button. When the bent arrrow (upper right) is touched, it takes you to plain old Apple Maps, with no ability to plot a trip that includes charging stations.

I would try the following to see if it does remedy your issue:

1. Check your iOS version. Is it 17.4.1 ? If not, upgrade your iOS.
2. Check your Tesla app version, the latest version is 4.32.6. If yours is not up-to-date, then update it from the app store.
3. If at this point your problem still persists you can try to sign out and then sign in on the Tesla app
4. If at this point your problem still persists you can try to power your phone off and on
5. If at this point your problem still persists you can try to delete and reinstall the Tesla app

Hope this helps.

Reactions: navguy12
Upvote 0