Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation system is initializing ♻️

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Hey guys, 2016 Tesla model S. I pick a destination and it never connects. I had this happen on my 2016 and Tesla told me it was either an antenna problem or some MMC chip that needed replacing. Honestly with so many many years ago, I really don’t remember.

So I called them about this and they said they don’t really have a fix for it and it’s best to update to MCU2. Seem like overkill?

Has anyone ever fixed themselves? Thanks peeps! 😊

IMG_4191.jpeg

First "update" probably to fix corruption on the SD card. This is likely the real update to 2024 maps. Once it starts, you can see the file being downloaded.
OK, thanks I left it in my driveway connected to Wi-Fi. Hopefully it’s just going to grab what it needs.

I went back into the car to check on it and it wasn’t navigating to anywhere and I couldn’t see any download progress so I chose another destination got the connect to Wi-Fi dialogue box and left it at that.

Upvote 0
Oh that explains it I didn't know that would trigger an alert.
yes it's not an alert so much as it is a show-stopper for using Nav for any destination. I didn't realize how much I used the nav until haven't had it to use! Using Waze on my phone isn't great, an I don't have a phone mount in this car yet, thinking I need to get an ESR Magsafe dashmount and put it to the left of the Nav screen...

Upvote 0
If you regularly use the nav I would really recommend you get the mcu2. But you probably know that because you did it with the P85D.
I know I’m just dragging my feet on this one. I had hopes because DebyDave told me the update takes a while to download and it did finish rebooted and voilà my NAV worked… but LTE streaming wasn’t. so I rebooted again and now my NAV is stuck on initializing and updating again.

Maybe when I get out of the car, it stops trying to update? I’m afraid to leave my key in the car to keep the thing active and working… Now it’s in the garage!

IMG_4299.jpeg

Upvote 0
OK, I’ve contacted a private shop that I trust. I’m sure they’ve seen this before and can replace the SD card. I’m just not keen on taking half the dash apart to get at it. On the other hand is probably not that difficult. I’m just not a custom to doing work like this. If I get the NAV working I won’t be in a big rush for MCU2.

It’s got another little annoyance that I remember on my 2015 and that was a high-pitched alternator-type whine through the sound system. I remember reporting this and I can’t remember what they did to fix it but it might’ve been the computer upgrade.

Lots of little bugs that are going to be fun ironing out!

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Yes. I assumed this recall had been done. The memory the recall replaces also had a maximum amount of read/writes which was a problem with early solid state memory, just like the SD card. This could also cause many problems.
I’m sure Tesla will tell me, but this car has been serviced at a Toyota dealership of all places. I’m hoping it hasn’t been done and this service might help with the NAV issue even though it appears to be separate. Fingers crossed they ran out of eMMC units and have to do an MCU2! 😂

Upvote 0
If the recall hasn't been done, maybe you can get a discount on an MCU2 (doubt it)? If you get the recall done or upgrade the MCU, check on also replacing the NAV SD card since they are already into the MCU. They normally didn't replace the SD card with an MCU upgrade for some reason.

Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
Something strange is definitely going on. I left my key in the car, hoping the next update was going to happen and maybe it is? I got back into the car to a black screen, I have sat here for five minutes and it’s still black. Strange. This was one of the listed problems with the eMMC upgrade from 8 gigs to 64 gigs.

IMG_4301.jpeg

Upvote 0