Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation talking over music vs lowering music.

Coolesnce

Sep 18, 2018
california
Hi Everyone,

Quick question. In my previous cars I have owned that has navigation included, when the navigation is speaking to give directions it would either lower the volume, or mute the volume of the music that is playing. With my Model 3 the navigation seems to try to talk over the musics current volume. Is that just how the Model 3 is setup today, or is there a toggle, or setting that I need to enable to adjust this? I have asked the service centers the few times that I have brought my car in and they always tell me they will look into it, but I have yet to get an answer. So I thought that I would turn to the Model 3 community for an answer :)

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
When I used to use it (I have it muted now), it used to lower the music volume but only if the music was loud-ish. If the music was quieter it seemed to speak over it. Not sure if anything changed in the last few months?

jkoya

NA2 NSX
Nov 21, 2018
Northern CA
I had to increase the volume of the navigation voice volume. It was set really low from the factory and I couldn't hear it because of the music volume. At first, I thought the voice directions weren't working.

Coolesnce

Sep 18, 2018
california
Thanks for the feedback. I know how to adjust the level of the navigation volume, just curious about if the Model 3 should be lowering the music volume. Sounds like that isn't the case. Hopefully it makes it in a future update.

hamtonp

Sep 4, 2018
Dallas
I currently have my navigation voice muted, but when I had it on, it lowered the music volume only when the source is streaming. For other audio such as USB or Bluetooth, the volume remained the same.

Coolesnce

Sep 18, 2018
california
Thanks for the input, most of the time I'm using the car streaming and never had the volume auto lower. I wonder if they had it set up like that at one point and something changed with the more recent updates. Just got the new update tonight so I'll be crissing my fingers that the new update made changes for the streaming and nav directions volumes.

CarterStC

Jun 26, 2018
CA
When I first got the car last year, it lowered the music and it was easy to hear the navigation instructions. In later updates, I noticed that frequently the music was lower anymore. It almost seems to be random when it lowers. It may be that louder music lowers and softer music doesn't.

BooMan

Oct 28, 2018
Detroit
looks like no one actually answered your question so I will. Net Net, no the model 3 will not auto mute your volume like most (all?) other vehicles that have navigation. Not sure why they designed it this way but should really be fixed. Right after that, maybe they can have streaming music/podcast remember the last played location like pretty much every other car.

I really like my M3P but stuff like the above is a nuisance.

Hi Everyone,

Quick question. In my previous cars I have owned that has navigation included, when the navigation is speaking to give directions it would either lower the volume, or mute the volume of the music that is playing. With my Model 3 the navigation seems to try to talk over the musics current volume. Is that just how the Model 3 is setup today, or is there a toggle, or setting that I need to enable to adjust this? I have asked the service centers the few times that I have brought my car in and they always tell me they will look into it, but I have yet to get an answer. So I thought that I would turn to the Model 3 community for an answer :)

Reactions: Occhis and Enginerd

Coolesnce

Sep 18, 2018
california
looks like no one actually answered your question so I will. Net Net, no the model 3 will not auto mute your volume like most (all?) other vehicles that have navigation. Not sure why they designed it this way but should really be fixed. Right after that, maybe they can have streaming music/podcast remember the last played location like pretty much every other car.

I really like my M3P but stuff like the above is a nuisance.

Thanks for the reply BooMan.

Petermcg

Sep 26, 2018
Apex, NC
Right, the car should almost completely mute any audio in favor of navigation instructions, but it doesn’t. My 2007 Lexus did this. The Nav talking over the audio is irritating.

hamtonp

Sep 4, 2018
Dallas
I just tried this yesterday and the streaming music volume does decrease when there are Nav directions. The catch is that your music has to be playing pretty loud. When I turned the music volume down, there was no change in the volume.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC