Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near rear end collision captured on cams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skip to about 40 seconds.

There was a CHP SUV parked on the side of the freeway exit with his lights on and the car in front of me decides it's a good idea to stop on a freeway exit and try and wave the CHP car through. You can see him stick his hand out of the sunroof too.

As soon as I stop I hear screeching from behind me and see this SUV barreling towards me in the rear cam. I'm expecting to get hit then I see him swerve into the shoulder then I'm thinking the CHP is about to get hit so the driver steers onto the embankment and smashes the road sign as the CHP moves out of the way. I was sure the SUV was going to flip on its side but luckily he stayed upright.

Guess I was this close to getting to upgrade to a P3D. The Caltrans SUV was going pretty quick so it probably would have totaled my car if he hit me.

I hope the cop pulled over the car in front after you went by and gave him a ticket.

Which one and why please?

1) The white sedan
2) Caltrans white SUV

The police had the flashing lights on so drivers need to either:

1) move over to the other lane if possible (no other lane possible in this case)
2) slow down

The white sedan did slow down and did not do a complete stop.

Oh I hate hearing screeching tires and of course audio isn't captured with our TeslaCam or it could have been more dramatic watching. You just kind of wait for the impact..and I've experienced that once from a guy who didn't realize the whole lane of traffic had stopped and he hit me. Hopefully the Caltrans driver was okay after hitting that second road sign on the video. Your right that it could have been worse for him. At least he stopped before hitting the light pole. Some days driving we realize how lucky we are.

Which one and why please?

1) The white sedan
2) Caltrans white SUV

The police had the flashing lights on so drivers need to either:

1) move over to the other lane if possible (no other lane possible in this case)
2) slow down

The white sedan did slow down and did not do a complete stop.

I believe the slow down part is in a reasonable and prudent manner taking into consideration for road conditions traffic, etc. I would say coming to a near stop on a freeway exit is not reasonable or prudent for traffic conditions.

"If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic conditions."

Reactions: GMan324
I don't understand why the reverse camera won't record at the same time as the other cameras. That would have been very helpful in this case. Very reckless on multiple parties' parts (not you) - glad you didn't get crunched in that because it would have hurt for sure.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Well, it looks like everyone was coming too fast for that exit, the white car in front of you, who had to hit the brakes for the police/or the dark car in from of him (who reduced his speed way before in advance), you (who hit the brakes too hard at the last second) and the SUV behind you. The sign that the SUV smashes said "Exit 25 MPH" and I bet everyone was over 50 mph.

Reactions: mswlogo
Well, it looks like everyone was coming too fast for that exit, the white car in front of you, who had to hit the brakes for the police/or the dark car in from of him (who reduced his speed way before in advance), you (who hit the brakes too hard at the last second) and the SUV behind you. The sign that the SUV smashes said "Exit 25 MPH" and I bet everyone was over 50 mph.

It's a really horrible freeway exit to a popular shopping mall in San Diego. It's a long downhill into a blind right hand turn that becomes a merge for an onramp. On top of that it floods every time it rains.

The two cars in front of the white car managed to slow down and pass the CHP fine. I don't know why he was almost stopping and trying to wave the CHP through, just a dangerous move.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
As soon as I stop I hear screeching from behind me and see this SUV barreling towards me in the rear cam.

I'm expecting to get hit then I see him swerve into the shoulder then I'm thinking the CHP
is about to get hit so the driver steers onto the embankment and smashes the road sign
as the CHP moves out of the way.
I was sure the SUV was going to flip on its side but luckily he stayed upright.

Guess I was this close to getting to upgrade to a P3D.
The Caltrans SUV was going pretty quick so it probably would have totaled my car if he hit me.
The rear view camera recording should be included with the TeslaCam.

I don't understand why people don't buy a real dashcam with front and rear view recording.
You can buy one, like the BlackVue with HD quality recording, for less that 1% of the price of a Model 3.

Nothing funny about it... until you see the yellow sign laying down!
We had a similar incident, in our other car. My wife was looking down, and my attention was diverted, too. I saw interstate traffic had stopped, in all 5 lanes. I had plenty of time to stop. But I heard the bang, and was waiting for the impact! But it was the 2 SUV's next to me. The 2nd one was not paying attention. The bumper was now against the engine.
And that helped us decide to buy a car with radar! A month later, we had one.

The rear view camera recording should be included with the TeslaCam.

I don't understand why people don't buy a real dashcam with front and rear view recording.
You can buy one, like the BlackVue with HD quality recording, for less that 1% of the price of a Model 3.

Yes, I just got rear ended by a Jeep while waiting at the toll booths outside the Lincoln Tunnel. I wish the rear camera recorded. I would think they could at least write a program to start recording when the rear sensors sense an object in it's range or in its range and rapidly approaching. Also, I was just "chatting" with Tesla Support about trying to retrieve footage and they told me that only the front dash records while the vehicle is in motion. This OP is showing us that the two rear facing side cameras also record.

Seems to me the car in front of you was reasonable. CHP has blinker on and front of car turned toward the road immediately planning to merge. No way you can't slow down in that situation. In fact he did merge immediately after the white car passed, until he realized the accident he caused and then he pulled back over again.

Honestly I'd say the accident is the at least partially CHPs fault attempting an unsafe merge on a curve, along with the driver behind you going too fast.

Always so hard to judge speeds in these videos. Things that seem slow are actually very fast!

...I think if you have flashing lights and the authority to stop traffic, you have to be responsible in how you use that authority. So, pick your spots and you have to expect that if you have your left signal light on and the flashing lights on as well and move into traffic that people will yield - so don’t do that on a blind corner! I’m certain they are trained in that sort of thing...they are certainly trained to park at that angle...just a bit of a mistake on his part. Looks like maybe he had just finished a traffic stop. CHP should have waited to signal until it was all clear, so he did not need to signal!

The white SUV was clearly going too fast and not paying attention - really have to at that Friar’s road exit, especially with all the construction. Hope they were ok.

Glad you lucked out.

Last edited:
Nothing funny about it... until you see the yellow sign laying down!
We had a similar incident, in our other car. My wife was looking down, and my attention was diverted, too. I saw interstate traffic had stopped, in all 5 lanes. I had plenty of time to stop. But I heard the bang, and was waiting for the impact! But it was the 2 SUV's next to me. The 2nd one was not paying attention. The bumper was now against the engine.
And that helped us decide to buy a car with radar! A month later, we had one.

I recently got the 2019.16.2 and noticed some display changes.
In particular you get informed when your rear stop light are ignated, while you are using regenerating braking.
Also, when a car in front of you, the car changes to a red color and you get audible warning.