Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near Term Model X 90D Delivery for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in line for my Model X 90D since January 2013 and committed to the purchase in January 2016. My vehicle is expected to be delivered by year end, according to multiple email notifications from Tesla which I can show. (I am getting a five-seater, and the company has offered twice to move me up to October if I upgrade to a six- or seven-seater.)

I'm now looking at a pretty major change in my commute, and am now wrestling (OK, agonizing) with the notion that this may no longer be the right vehicle for me now. As a result, and as much as it pains me, I am considering whether to pre-arrange a sale of the vehicle upon delivery. Color is deep blue metallic. Delivery location will be in the New York City area.

If you're legitimately interested, let me know and we can connect offline and I'll share more about the specs.

I've been in line for my Model X 90D since January 2013 and committed to the purchase in January 2016. My vehicle is expected to be delivered by year end, according to multiple email notifications from Tesla which I can show. (I am getting a five-seater, and the company has offered twice to move me up to October if I upgrade to a six- or seven-seater.)

I'm now looking at a pretty major change in my commute, and am now wrestling (OK, agonizing) with the notion that this may no longer be the right vehicle for me now. As a result, and as much as it pains me, I am considering whether to pre-arrange a sale of the vehicle upon delivery. Color is deep blue metallic. Delivery location will be in the New York City area.

If you're legitimately interested, let me know and we can connect offline and I'll share more about the specs.

What's the deposit? $5k? Ask if they will hold it or move it to a Model 3. If costs are a concern, you can possibly just walk away from the reservation and not deal with paying sales tax now and re-selling the car with a much deeper discount. Your sales tax is probably higher than your reservation deposit.

Your reservation and contract is for "sticker price" - yet some Tesla lots have cars with $5k discounts or more ready for sale. It's really hard to think you can come out of this ahead.

Thanks for the comments. Some thoughts:

* Not looking to transfer the reservation -- am looking to possibly sell the car upon delivery.

* Not looking to come out ahead.

* Are there Model X's on dealer lots? I did a search on Auto Trader and there was only one within 500 miles. Maybe you mean Model S?

* After you sign the definitive purchase agreement (which I did after holding a reservation for three years), you cannot just walk away and lose the $5k deposit. You are legally committed to the purchase.

Are there Model X's on dealer lots? I did a search on Auto Trader and there was only one within 500 miles. Maybe you mean Model S?

Tesla has new inventory Model Xs at their locations now. Not a lot of them, but they do exist.

image.jpeg

@NYC2016 I got my X90D from inventory stock at a discount of $13,700, so it may be difficult to find a buyer for full price. Between the taxes and the depreciation, losing or transferring your deposit may be the best option. You might also consider talking with Tesla HQ about your extenuating circumstances and see if they will cut you some slack. Since you are not yet in production, they may just give you your deposit back if your story is reasonable. It can't hurt to ask. If I were you though, I would keep the vehicle and drive the hell out of it! It's amazing! Best of luck to you!

just for insight i assumed anothers delivery (but the car was already built) what ever deposit you put on the car goes to the new owner as well as what ever price point you got in at ( worked out in my favor) the down side is the new owner loses what ever deposit he put down on a car ( if they ordered already) and you can not apply a discount code due to the cheaper price.

Tesla has a lot of "inventory S's and X's. I had been toying with the idea of getting one when I got a call from inside sales in Palo Alto saying they had X's with discounts. Some are test drive vehicles or loaners. Some have been spec'd out and delivered to delivery centers. The discounts are $1 per mile and 1% for every month on the lot since build date. I went to a tesla store on a Saturday, found an X I liked. It was new so the discount was $5k plus $1k referral. Picked it up 1 week later.

If discounts on inventory are removed in the month of October, the OP here may have an easier time of selling it in October. But honestly, I have to think walking away from - or asking for the reservation dollars to be held for a Model 3 would be best "economically". The overall pot of Customer Deposits must contain hundreds of walk-aways and similar circumstances, even "I forgot about that" and even some actual people passing away between Feb 2012 and today and the estate not requesting a refund. There is no reason to move that money out of Customer Deposits, IMO.